Sunday, 20 June 2010

Remembering

I've just spent a lovely afternoon with my parents, as today is Father's Day. We watched an old videotape of a family holiday to Lanzarote, in 1991, and cringed at the footage of how we looked and sounded. What were we thinking when we wore those huge Deirdrie Barlow glasses? Isn't it wonderful to have such old memories brought back to life?

As I often do on such occasions, I also thought of my late father-in-law, Tom. It seems like only yesterday since we lived with him during the last few weeks of his life. In fact it's been five years. His house was the highest point in Exmouth, and his garden had unspoiled views of both Exmouth and the Exe estuary. Watching Tom's garden come to life over that summer is a pleasure I will never forget, and I have not seen anything since that has equalled its splendour.

He grew the best onions. I remember every morning I would take his dog, Sam, for a long walk. Then, before leaving for work, I would pick some spring onions from the garden, and make cheese and onion sandwiches. Bliss.

This is for Tom.








And for Sam, who I never thought I'd enjoy walking, but did.

4 comments:

  1. How lovely!

    I hope you had a cheese and onion sarnie in Tom's honour today! :-)

    I hope Sam is ok too.

    The pics are beautiful - striking and stunning and a fitting tribute to Tom and Sam.

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost my dad 10 years ago. He was a fantastic gardener so I spent a little while in my own (less than perfect) garden yesterday to remember him. These are lovely photos and a great memorial.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Kitty and AJ. You kind comments mean a lot.

    Kitty - unfortunately, after Tom died we had to re-home Sam. He was already 12 years old and used to being with Tom 24 hours a day. He was one stubborn dog! He couldn't be left alone at all, which meant we had to rely on dog sitters and family. The poor chap started suffering from stress and the vet advised us to either re-home him or have him put down. Well, we certainly were not doing the latter. One of my sister-in-laws found him a lovely home with another elderly gentleman, who also had a niece living next door to walk him daily. Of course, we felt incredibly guilty. Still do, in fact. But I know for Sam it was the right thing to do.

    AJ - I'm glad you were able to remember your dad in your own special way. I wish I had a garden to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful tribute to your father-in-law.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!