Sunday, 25 July 2010

Books, Baths, and Bizarro Fiction!

I'm always looking for fiction that is a little different, something that makes me think, why didn't I think of that? Or, wow, what a great idea!

Whilst scouring a charity shop for such gems last week, I came across a splashproof book by Kathy Lette. All Steamed Up was a limited edition book given away free by Radox in 2009, and is full of Lette's usual hilarious humour. At 38 pages, it's not a long book, and I was able to read it whilst taking my bath last night. What a pleasure it was, being able to take a nice long soak in the bath tub and read, without the worry of ruining what I was reading. There are no free copies left now, but I'm sure someone wil be selling one on eBay or Amazon.

I can't remember where I read about Woman's World by Graham Rawle, but it has been on my Amazon wish list for a few months now. Having just received a £50 cheque for a photograph and beauty-tip for Take a Break (if you've never tried earning money through writing reader letters and submitting tips, try it; it's the easiest money you'll ever make), I decided to treat myself to few books off my wish list.

Woman's World is a graphic novel, with a twist. The author wrote a rough draft of his book in the usual way, but then collected all the individual fragments of text that he needed from early 1960's women's magazines. He then spent another two years cutting and gluing the text together to form every page of his book. In all, it took him five years to complete the process. Now, that is dedication.

Another of the books I decided to treat myself to is Shatnerquake by Jeff Burk. I came across this book a couple of days ago, after reading an article about Bizarro fiction. I must admit I'd never heard of the Bizarro fiction genre - where the author writes something that is just weird. Although the Amazon reviews for Shatnerquake are not too encouraging, a novel featuring William Shatner and all the characters he has ever played seemed like too much fun to pass up. I'll give you an honest opinion when I've finished reading it.

That's it for my books with a difference for today. Do you have any recommendations? I would love to hear about any books that are original, inventive, or just plain wacky.

11 comments:

  1. Oooo. I have to find Shatnerquake. I don't care if it's awful - I just want to have read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly what I thought, AJ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you heard of Nik Perring's short story collection 'Not So Perfect'? Supposed to be a great one, and full of quirk too.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've read about his book before, Talli. Thanks for reminding me, though - I've added it to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to read your beauty tip!! :-)

    That Shatnerquake sounds just like my kind of thing!! Gawd bless William Shatner!

    And what a great find for the Kathy Lette book! Brilliant.

    Thanks for the recommendations - sorry my reading list is far too banal and I'm still engrossed with Terry Pratchett's unseen academicals that I noticed you're no longer currently reading - so I'm waaaaaaaaaaaay behind!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you enjoy your new purchases! Well done on the TaB beauty tip - £50 is excellent isn't it. I used to do readers' letters from time to time and had a few published, but lately I seem to have lost the knack. I should really try harder to get back into writing them. It's a lot of money for a very few words. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Old Kitty - the letter/tip is in this weeks issue of TAB, issue 30. LOL.

    Joanne - it is an easy way to earn money, but I couldn't do it regularly. It's a bit boring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The waterproof book is a great idea! I love the Griffin & Sabine trilogy by Nick Bantock. There are letters that you take out of envelopes glued to the pages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is that "currently reading" a gadget? Because I wouldn't mind something similar on my blog. And what did you think of the Terry Pratchett? I read it a couple of weeks ago. Football's not my favourite subject but I thought it was very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janel - I've added one of the Griffin & Sabine books to my wishlist!

    AJ - Yes. It is the picture gadget.

    Unseen Academicals was one of my favourite Pratchett reads. I loved the humour behind the football, but how the story was about so much more than that. I also adored Nutt. I want to read more about him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes my kids bring a home a bizarro book from the library, and we get some chuckles over it. But for my own reading, if I don't have a plot that hooks me, I'm just not tempted. Oops, I take that back. The Calvin and Hobbes cartoon strip gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!