Saturday, 14 August 2010

The Laptop Speaks (Part 2)

I'm not a superstitious person. When I realised it was Friday 13th yesterday, I wasn't concerned. Never have been.

I used my laptop in the morning. I went to work. Whilst at work I had an accident that involved a box hitting my nose, which put an end to my 'no bruises by the time of the family wedding' strategy. Another member of staff hit her head with a door. Did these things freak me out? No.

Someone I used to work with, and I haven't seen for a few years, came in shopping. This is very important, because he is a computer whiz. Was this an omen? Maybe. Do I know his number? No.

When I got home from work, the LSO complained that the desktop computer was very slow. Given that the desktop is also known as the monolith or 'I'll-take-at-least-thirty-seconds-to-load-up-a-page-and-then-crash', for the LSO to say it was slow, meant it was probably faster watching paint dry. "No problem," I said. "I'll get my laptop." Fatal words. When I turned on the laptop, a blue screen and lots of technical jargon appeared. At the end it said, "Starting dump of physical core" and "Physical core dumped". Can I do anything with it? No.

So, two days after allowing my laptop to 'takeover my blog' and on Friday 13th, it went kamikaze on me. The LSO is under instructions to take my beautiful, fabulous, close friend to the computer shop on Monday. I shall pray it is recoverable. I am thankful for two things: I'm OCD about saving my work and I have a contingent laptop fund. Not quite all the money I'd need, but a good chunk. I hope I don't have to buy a new one, but I cannot be without a laptop.

In the meantime, I'll be on the desktop computer. But given it is ridiculously slow, please don't be offended if I'm not reading your wonderful blogs in the next few days. And on top of that, I'm working extra hours from Monday, and have a family wedding at the weekend.

Please send happy thoughts to my laptop, if you believe in that sort of thing!

10 comments:

  1. There's nothing worse than a computer that refuses to behave. Sending positive technical thoughts...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sending happy thoughts and healing hugs to your laptop!! I think he/her guestblogging was just too much excitement for a wee one! :-) But seriously I wish your laptop well!!! Go laptop!!!

    Good luck!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes dear laptop from Jarmara's laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So all round, you're saying it was a pretty exciting day on Friday 13th?

    And sending happy thoughts to your beloved laptop for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no!!!! Sending very happy lap-top thoughts your way. I hope it recovers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your laptop gets better! its sucky when that happens but its good you have all your stuff backed up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/08/15/poetry-awards-4thursday-poets-rally-week-26-plus-more/

    two awards on the bottom for you,
    the most creative blogger award,
    u r a rare friend award....
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, so frustrating, I hate that blue screen! I hope your laptop has received all the positive thoughts and is getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It hurts when the laptop is fried! So sorry you've been burned. Think positive---your laptop's blog post proves him/her to be intelligent and resourceful, so only good can come from that. :) Enjoy the family wedding!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!