Wednesday, 25 August 2010

Shatnerquake - A Review

William Shatner? William Shatner? WILLIAM SHATNER!!! Sorry. I saw that on Amazon and had to do it too.

As promised, here is my unbiased (cough, cough) review of Shatnerquake by Jeff Burk. I did try to be as impartial as possible, but given this book features one of my all time heroes there wasn’t too much chance of that.

Shatnerquake was my first foray into Bizarro Fiction, and after glancing through other Bizarro titles listed in the back of the book (Sex and Death In Television Town and War Sluts, to name two), I realised that this book was probably going to be quite tame compared to the others. And it was, if you discounted the odd swear word and that nearly everyone dies, most of them horribly.

The concept – a fiction bomb at a ShatnerCon brings to life all the characters William Shatner has ever played, and they are intent on killing the real William Shatner – was pure genius. It elicited one of those ‘Why can’t I have an idea that brilliant?’ moments. Picture if you can, Kirk with a lightsaber, Denny Crane being, well, Denny Crane, and William Shatner being his usual egotistical self, and you begin to get an idea of the story. There is a lot more to it than that, but I don’t want to spoil it for potential readers.

The book was hilarious, and I laughed out loud on several occasions. But novella is probably the more accurate word to describe it. At 83 pages, it is short; I was able to comfortably read it in one sitting. And I would have liked to seen more characterisation with some of the William Shatners - a few of them were only mentioned fleetingly. That being said, if you are a Star Trek or William Shatner fan you will love this book. As a writer of short fiction, I know length isn’t everything!

7 comments:

  1. Is there any significance in the fact that I just looked it up on Amazon and the price is £6.66?

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shatnerquake-Jeff-Burk/dp/1933929820

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a Star Trek fan, but love William Shatner in all his cheesy glory, co can imagine this book must have been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want, I want, I want!!!!

    I so want!! LOL!!!

    At 83 pages it's right up my alleyway!! Yay!

    Thanks for this fab review and info esp with the term "bizarro fiction"!!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning AJ - it's a sign! Go on, you know you want it. LOL.

    Debs - he's practically The God of Cheesiness, but we love him still.

    Old Kitty - LOL. I hope to one day write something and get the same response!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ellie - I, too, am a WS fan. I love his Priceline commercials. Never got into Boston Legal, so I missed out on Denny, but my hubby and I used to watch the original Star Trek so much we would make up trivia questions for each other on long car rides. I...just...love...William...Shantner! LOL This book looks like a funny read. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. Despite my earlier crush on Captain Kirk, I have to be honest and say this book probably isn't my kind of thing. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow sounds like something worth getting. Both hubby and I love Star Trek and loved Galaxy Quest, so I might just get a copy!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!