Sunday, 10 October 2010

Aha! Heaven and 100 followers

My legs and feet hurt and I'm exhausted, but it was worth very minute. Well, except for forgetting about my fear of heights when booking the concert tickets, Aha not doing an encore, and it taking us forever to find the hotel. But what would a trip to London be without a mishaps?

The Royal Albert Hall was the usual stunning venue and Aha treated us to two entire albums - Hunting High and Low and Scoundrel Days. Morton Harket didn't sound any different than 25 years ago; whether he looked any different I couldn't tell as we were high up in the Circle seats (the photograph was taken with the zoom on maximum and doesn't indicate just how high up we were). And when I mean high, I mean the fear inducing, stomach-churning heights that comes from having a seat in the second row from front of the circle. I must remember the small issue of height next time I book tickets for The Royal Albert Hall. Apart from that the only low point of the concert was Aha not doing an encore. Why? Even if was just one song it would have been what the fans wanted!

Finding our hotel after the concert was a bit of a disaster. We'd booked ourselves into the Travelodge at Covent Garden and forgot one minor detail - an address for the hotel. After an hour of aimless wandering we hopped into a rickshaw and five minutes later we were there, minus £15. Why didn't we do that in the first place?

On Saturday we went to Foyles bookstore and I was in heaven. One hour and three writing books later we left. I know I could have probably bought them cheaper on Amazon but how could I not buy something in one of the best bookstores in the country?

We pulled into our local train station at about 9pm last night and were treated to the end of the Exmouth carnival. So, all in all, it was a great trip.


I have 101 followers!

Whilst I was away the answer to which will come first - 100 Followers or 100th Post Awards? - was decided. A huge thank you to dirtywhitecandy for taking me to the magic 100 figure and to DanPloy for taking me just over.

In my post on the 28th September, I said that when I reached 100 followers I'd have a draw and one person would win . . .a surprise. This morning I hopped over to random.org and put 1 to 101 in the random number generator and asked it to give me a winner. Drum roll . . .the winning number was follower number 12, Pixie J. King.

Congratulations, Pixie. For your prize you get to choose two of the following books (if you have one or more of them let me know and I'll offer some alternatives):

No Plot? No Problem! by Chris Baty, founder of NaNoWriMo.



Thank you to everyone who has chosen to follow me and I hope that I will continue to make my blog a place you want to visit from time to time.

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful adventure.

    Congratulations on your followers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you mean to say I've WON something? Jeez I'm on a roll this weekend, won two out of three games of bowling, a joint game of pool, and now this? Yaay!

    And I get to choose two books? Um...I'm not sure...Probably the How not to write one and the On Writing one by Stephen King, if that's okay Ellie...

    I still can't believe I've won something, thank you!

    Ooo and well done on getting 101 followers too!

    Pixie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The BBC website has a special on the Take on me classic and ever so fabulous video!!!!!! It's fab!!

    AWWWWWW!! Last I went to the Albert Hall was to see erm.... John Barrowman and we were sat up with the gods and he was a speck - a SPECK!! But he was gorgeous!! Anyway!!! yay that you found your hotel via rickshaw!!! :-)

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! 101 and growing followers!!!! Congrats to Pixie too!!!

    Have a great Sunday! take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Glad you had a great time. Congrats again on the 100+ followers and the winner. :O) Off to Harvest Festival now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a great time! Just thinking of wandering around looking for the hotel as sight-seeing. :)

    Congrats on the 101 followers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great time it sounds like. Congrats to your winner :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Ellie. 101 and going strong. Thoroughly deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a good time. Those seats are a long way up though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Ellie, didn't I tell you that you would reach the 100 mark soon.

    Btw, there is an award for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hurray for you! Let's see how quick you get to 200 now... not long I reckon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, Foyles and the Royal Albert Hall. People ask me what I miss not living in the UK and those two things would have to be on the list.

    Shame Foyles is more organised these days though, I remember having to sidle between the bookshelves as the overflow was just heaped up anywhere there was some floorspace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gail - thank you! It was wonderful.

    Pixie - thank you and you are on a roll!

    Old Kitty - in the gods? I couldn't even look up there, it is so high. LOL. Ooo. . .I must look up the BBC special!

    Madeleine - thank you! Hope you had a lovely time at the Harvest Festival.

    Janel - thank you!

    Thom - thank you!

    Martin H - thank you!

    MorningAJ - thank you! LOL. The circle seats are scary.

    Rachna - you did! Thank you for the award.

    brokenbiro - thank you!

    DanPloy - Foyles is a different shop than it used to be. The first time I went there was about 15 years ago and there were books everywhere. It was like treasure-hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. \Congrats on the 100 followers! (101 now! Hope it keeps on climbing!) And congrats to Pixie as well :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!