Saturday, 23 October 2010

Cinderella's Shoe Blogfest

Over at Scribble and Edit the fabulous Madeleine is hosting Cinderella’s Shoe Blogfest, where your challenge is “to write a maximum 500 word piece or a poem about any character who loses something that when found by another results in their mutual happiness/relief/salvation/ Or whatever.”

I've decided to be experimental with my entry and it takes the form of letters. Please note that the following is entirely a work of fiction and comes from the writer’s imagination. It does not reflect actual events.


June 1974

Dear Leonard,

Please find enclosed a prosthetic ear I found during the LA convention; part of my 12-step recovery programme is to return any items that do not belong to me. I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me because you are my favourite actor.

Live long and prosper,
Judith



July 1974

Dear Judith,

I must say I was surprised to receive your letter at my home address, but I was pleased to read you are returning items that do not belong to you. I was sure I had lost that ear during my trip back home from the LA Con; I misplaced a whole box of props at a service station.

You asked me for my forgiveness but I need to thank you – returning that prosthetic ear has had a profound effect on me. On closer inspection I found the manufacturing serial number, which should have marked it as an ear I wore during the first season, was incorrect. After asking a few questions and talking to Majel, I have discovered I never wore the ear you returned to me and that I was not the first choice to play Spock! Another actor had already read for the part (Majel could not remember his name) and even had a set of prosthetic ears made for him. For some unknown reason the actor pulled out and I was offered the role. But I realised that if more than one actor has worn the legendary pointy ears then that means I haven’t always been Spock! This realisation has inspired me to write my memoirs. I am going to call them I Am Not Spock. What do you think?

Leonard



July 1974

Dear Leonard,

I can’t believe you wrote back to me! I’ve written letters to other cast members but all I got back was a warning not to contact them at their home addresses. I always new you were the nicest cast member. However, this will be my last letter to your home - step nine involves learning appropriate boundaries in personal relationships. From now on I will forward any correspondence to your official address.

I can’t believe the ear was not worn by you but please don’t call your memoirs I’m Am Not Spock. You are Spock!

Live long and prosper,
Judith

p.s. perhaps you could auction the mysterious ear for charity?



October 1996

Dear Judith,

You may not remember but several years ago you returned a prosthetic ear to me and suggested I auction it for charity. I was recently asked to donate items to for The Actors Hardship Fund and I thought of that ear. Unfortunately, I had to remove it from the auction as the actor who the ear was made for came forward and claimed he had lost it around the time it came into my possession. The actor claimed he was Spock! My lawyers said he didn’t have much of a case but I said let him wear it; if it fits then he can have it!

You will be pleased to know my new memoir I Am Spock will be out shortly.

Leonard

28 comments:

  1. Awh that is brilliant! I really enjoyed reading it. Made me laugh and gave me some information I did not know before. Thanks for joining in my blogfest. Fab :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So innovative and so ringing with a possible truth! Enjoyed this inspired piece of writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Live long and prosper, Ellie!

    What a funny piece. The mystery of the missing ear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-)

    Awwwww There is only and forever one Mr Spock!!

    Lucky Judith is all I can say - she opened up a veritable can of er.. ears!

    I thoroughly enjoyed this and won't look at both my Mr Nimoy autobiographies in the same way now - thank you!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really cool! So original! Well done, I enjoyed it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! Creative, original, and well written. Great job, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought for a moment we were going to discover that they fit William Shatner!
    Excellent story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I wanted to keep reading! I loved the 12 step program for stalkers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ellie, that was very clever and well conceived--a Cinderella for future generations.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found myself smiling as i read the ending of this. What a wonderful way to portray the missing object- in letters. great idea. I'm still not sure If i will participating in this fest- but i might try it out if i can find time. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Epistolary flash! Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ellie, I loved this! What a clever way to telll a story - and what a great start: an ear!

    Thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Madeleine - thank you!

    Greyscale - thank you! That was why I put the disclaimer at the beginning. LOL.

    Joanne - thank you! I should have called it Spock's Ear. LOL.

    Old Kitty - LOL. A can of ears. I can't stop laughing. Thank you!

    Rachel - thank you!

    Lisa - thank you!

    MorningAJ - LOL. That would have been really funny! Why didn't I think of it?

    Margo - thank you!

    Arlee Bird - thank you!

    Summer - thank you! I had to remind myself they didn't have email in 1974. LOL.

    Janel - thank you!

    Doris - thank you!

    Talli - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very well done. I got a copy of Breakthrough to you this week for winning the Weekend Follies captions. Not sure when it will arrive but its on its way.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bahahahaha that's really all I can say! This was hilariously creative...I'm still sitting here in love with your view!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ELLIE ~
    "If the ear fits, wear it."

    Ha! A very, very unique way of approaching this blogfest. I enjoyed this a great deal. Good work, Sister!

    ~ Stephen
    "As a dog returns to his own vomit,
    so a fool repeats his folly."
    ~ Proverbs 26:11

    ReplyDelete
  17. Veerry creative, love the format!! Very glad I stopped by and followed!
    mightymouse88-hypotheticallyspeaking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stephen - thank you! I'm looking forward to reading Breakthrough.

    Jen - I'm glad you enjoyed it! I had one of those 'lightbulb' moments where the idea just came to me. LOL.

    Stephen T. McCarthy - thank you. I love the proverb. Very funny!

    Erica - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. If the ear fits you must acquit!
    Very clever and fun. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Frakking hilarious. This goes double, considering my cat Spock is missing an ear.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh I loved Spock!!! Very funny letters, I loved this piece! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Elizabeth - thank you! I'm glad it had a double meaning for you. If I ever get a cat, I'm going to call it Tribble.

    Talei - thank you! I'll be along to read your entry shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great and novel way to use the theme of this blofest -- and through the means of exchanged letters yet. I truly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very imaginative! Great format putting your selection in the form of letters.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the style you chose - very creative! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Roland D. Yeomans - thank you!

    gideo 86 - thank you!

    Liz - thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!