All that is left to say now is over to Maria for the rest of this post.
Are You Science Fiction Romance Author Material? Do you have what it takes to be a science fiction romance author? Take this quiz.
1. Do you dream of faster than light technology?
2. Did the Na'vi in Avatar get you hot?
3. Can your characters sizzle by a mere sweep of a glance?
4. Are people constantly falling in love in your stories?
5. Have you ever undressed Nathan Fillion with your eyes?
6. Are you a geek who loves love?
If you answered yes to any of these questions you are definitely a candidate for our exclusive membership.
Science fiction romance sometimes gets a bad rap. The hardcore sci-fi community get their panties in a wad if someone even mentions sex, and the romance community will complain that computers make their eyes bleed.
But there is a growing grassroots community who read and write science fiction romance.
They don't faint at the sight of satellites decloaking into super weapons, nor do they roll their eyes when the hero and heroine get horizontal.
And there's a lot of responsibility on their shoulders. The science has to make sense and the emotion has to be tangible. Fluffy is your neighbor's dog. It has no place in science fiction OR romance.
Science fiction romance readers want more than blasters and space wars. They want to read about life on different worlds, on spaceships, and within secret societies. They want characters they can care about, characters who make them fall in love.
I have four rules to guide me.
• Make the science readable. No ten dollar words or hand-waving to draw attention away from the fact that you didn't do your research.
• Never skimp on the details that bring a character or setting to life.
• Invest the reader in your characters. (That's nonnegotiable no matter what genre you write.)
• Don't write a novel. Tell a story.
The lines between genres are blurring all the time. SFR isn't your grandma's romance. It's sophisticated and sexy. My favorite combination!
So how did you do on the quiz? What subgenres have you tried?
Maria Zannini's latest release is a science fiction romance called TRUE BELIEVERS.
Mix one cynical immortal and one true believer and throw them into the biggest alien-hunt the world has never known. Rachel Cruz is a Nephilim masquerading as an archeologist and she's stuck with an alien who believes she can lead him to his ancestral gods. Black Ops wants to find these gods too. They want them dead.
Follow Maria here:
Contest time! Every time you leave a comment, tweet or mention "Maria Zannini" anywhere with a link to my blog, your name goes in the hat for a chance to win a Texas sized prize. Go here for more information.
Thank you for giving us an interesting and insightful blog post, Maria. It has certainly given me a lot to think about.