Monday, 1 November 2010

Nanobods Are Go


Are you ready? Yes? Then get writing!

Today is the first day of NaNoWriMo 2010 and I’m beyond excited. Unfortunately, I also started work at 7am and I'm pretty tired. I’ll be attempting today’s 1700 word target but may not complete it. But I will definitely be catching up tomorrow, on my day off.





Before I finally talk about what I’m writing for NaNo, I want to send a special friend a message: Happy Birthday, Rachel Morris. I wouldn’t be here writing this today if it weren’t for you. Thank you for your constant enthusiasm, encouragement, and for kicking my butt when the inevitable self-doubt creeps in. I hope in my own way I can give back some of that love.

Now for my NaNo novel, which took some deciding. Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been going crazy trying to choose between a novel I started 13 years ago, extending a short story, or writing two speculative western novellas. In the end I’ve gone for none of them.

Last week a flash fiction piece I wrote back in March was finally published in Pill Hill Press’s Daily Flash: 365 Days of Flash Fiction. When the anthology arrived on Wednesday I sat and re-read my story for the first time in several months. As I did, a light bulb lit in my head - could this simple piece of flash fiction, with its solitary character, Myron, be the basis for a novel? Over the last three days I’ve debated the pros and cons of starting a completely new work of fiction, with little preparation or forethought, and in true jump-before-I-look-style, I decided the answer is yes.

Here is book’s title and the back cover blurb:

Dreaming of Sleep

Myron has come 2000 years into the future and there is no way back. His life has changed beyond recognition, as he is forced to spend almost every minute of his day interfacing with any number of the 91 billion souls that call Earth home.

All Myron wants to do is to sleep, because then he can dream of home; a place where people live as individuals and the choices they make are simple. But sleep is illegal and the punishment for breaking the law severe. He must take his daily tablet and conform.

As Myron sleepwalks through his new existence, literally dreaming of sleep, the beautiful and mysterious Talia enters his life and offers him a form of escape - a chance to travel back through time. But is Talia all she appears to be? Can Myron trust her? And can he stay awake long enough to discover the truth?

So Nanobods, how is day one's word count going?

Part of the Nanowrimo Blogchain

21 comments:

  1. Yay for turning a flash into a novel! Have fun and good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this sounds intriguing! Good luck with NaNo, and happy birthday Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh!! I like, I like very very much!!! Wow!! And what a title!!

    Happy birthday to Rachel too!!!

    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NANO!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with NaNo Ellie!

    I've written 1413 words so far...hope to bump that up by the time my head hits the pillow.

    My first novel is going to have a lot more substance this time around.

    Pixie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nano nano nano weeeeeeee!
    Race you to the finish line?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The novel sounds good!

    Good luck with NaNo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds brilliant, Ellie. I am hooked! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd read that! Good luck with the word count. Meet you at the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds great- good solid idea for a novel there.
    My word count. well I'm writing inbetween classes. I have about 500 words and my goal is 2k a night. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck, I am sure it will be great.

    I can only write shorts...I am unsure how to fill out a story. I wish I had your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There you go!
    Finished today with 1473 words. Not bad for a Monday. I'll have a lot more time on the weekends. And in all honesty, I'm just trying to finish my book, so rushing just to reach 50000 isn't my main goal.
    But be cool to hit it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay Ellie!! I just love writers' stories like that...something gets put aside, or forgotten, or submitted elsewhere, and then voile'...it's a book!! I'll be thinking of you!! Best of luck!!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds lovely Ellie. It has elements of suspense and the makings of a thriller in it. Best of luck for NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hiya Ellie,

    Thank you so much for that birthday message! I am so touched, it brought tears to my eyes.

    Thank you as well to those of you who also wished me a happy birthday. I had a lovely day and I have to apologise, as Ellie spent the afternoon with me hence why she's behind already on day one!

    She will soon catch up though and I am looking forward to reading it!

    Wishing everyone who is taking part in NaNo the very best of luck!

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  15. Janel - thank you! I really had forgotten how much information the piece of flash fiction conveyed and how it was part of a far bigger idea. I just hope it will be enough for 50,000 words. LOL.

    Talli - thank you for wishing my friend a happy birthday; she will really appreciate it!

    Old Kitty - glad you like the idea and title!

    Pixie J. King - Ooo. . .1413 words is good going. I only managed 786! But I'm making up for lost time today and am currently on 4094. Hope yours is going well.

    Steven Chapman - Nanobods are at full steam today. How many words shall I beat you by? Evil chuckle...

    Melissa - thank you!

    Madeleine - yay! Thank you!

    MorningAJ - you read my flash fiction? You'll have an idea of where I'm going, though what I've written so far is quite dark. It's scaring me a little. Hope yours is going well!

    Summer Ross - thank you! I'm hoping that it is solid enough to sustain the first draft. How did your first day go? I managed 786 but have surpassed today's target, with a total word of 4094 so far.

    Gail - thank you! I'm sure you have got the talent, because if you have the passion for writing the rest will follow. Plus I'm always enthralled by your blog entries and that definitely shows a talent with words.

    Alex J. Cavanaugh - it's great you are combining nano with finishing your book. I know Chris Baty suggests starting a completely new idea but I don't think you have to. Writing 50,000 words is writing 50,000 words!

    On a seperate note, after reading CassaStar, and seeing how to write without numerous adverbs, I've deployed newly aquired Cavanaugh Ninja's on my own novel. Let all adverbs beware.

    Becky - thank you! I wonder how many little gems writers have hidden away in notebooks or computer files?

    Rachna - thank you! I'm hoping it will live up to expectations and not belly-flop in week two.

    Rachel - you know I mean every word and I'm lucky to have a friend as caring as you. I've managed to catch up and am currently on 4094 words, 760 more than day two's target!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the sound of your story. Time travel is my favorite topic. And I like horror--a world without sleep? --must be horror!
    My story deals with time travel as well and so far my character is having a problem with sleeping too much. I will be posting a synopsis soon.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like it! Sounds like a great premise. You've got more thinking put in than I do!! :)

    I made it to 1718 yesterday and I was thrilled! I haven't started yet today - soon though :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a great idea, Ellie. Good luck with Nano x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Arlee Bird - Ooo...can't wait to read your synopsis. Funny how we are both dealing with time travel but in almost opposite ways! Good luck with today's word count.

    Jemi - 1718 is a fantastic figure. Well done! I racked a 4094 word count yesterday but only because I'm not going to get much done in the next couple of days. Good luck with today's word count.

    Amanda - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your book idea. Very fascinating situations there. I'm commenting at the beginning of day 3. I've done 3,500 words so far.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nessa - just popped over to your blog and see you managed to reach over 5000 on day three - well done! I'm up to 5091 at beginning of day four.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!