Friday, 31 December 2010

Friday Five: Five Reasons To Be Grateful

As we come to the end of 2010, I find I have so many reasons to be grateful. The most important reason is that my family and friends are well, and those that are working are still in employment. I don't think I could find anything else more important than knowing they are all safe and happy.

But 2010 has also been an amazing year for my writing dreams. Here is my top five, in chronological order:

1. In March my short story, Second Chances, was published in the 100 Stories for Haiti anthology. It was my first anthology publication and, since then, I've had 20 stories published and accepted into 17 anthologies. I would like to thank the following editors, who without their belief in my writing, I would not have been published:

Greg McQueen for 100 Stories for Haiti.
Jessy Marie Roberts at Pill Hill Press.
Chris Bartholomew at Static Movement.
Robert McEvily at Six Sentences.

2. In May I started my first blog and it has been one of the most satisfying elements of 2010. I never dreamt I could find so much fun and enjoyment, not to mention meeting new, I hope, lifelong friends. To all the bloggers who have stopped by and helped to motivate and inspire me to continue writing, I thank you. I would like to mention a few bloggers in particular, who really have shown themselves to be caring individuals:

Madeleine at Scribble and Edit.
Jeremy at iZombie.
Dominic de Mattos at Writes of Passage.

To all my readers and those I follow; if I haven't stopped by your blog enough this year, I apologise. I will try to do better in 2011.

3. In July I attended my first film convention and met my childhood idol, William Shatner. Who am I kidding? I still idolise him at 38 years of age. Strictly speaking, this is not a writing dream. However, I'm a sci-fi kind of gal!

4. In September I earned my first money as a writer, when Yours published my short story, Counting the Pennies. Even though I have since decided I do not want to write fiction for magazines, I am still proud that I achieved one of my 2010 writing goals.

5. In November I completed NaNoWriMo and in the process wrote 50,000 words of my sci-fi novel, Dreaming of Sleep. My 2011 goal is to complete it and get it to a standard fit for submission.

There are so many more, but if I attempted to list them all this blog post would take too long to read. All that is left now is to wish everyone a Happy New Year. And as Spock would say, 'Live long and Prosper'.


15 comments:

  1. Bless you Ellie, thank you.
    I have scheduled something similar to post on New Year's Day. Congratulations on all your fabulous achievements. I am glad I found you in blogland. Good lucj with your MS. :O)x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Ellie. You deserve yoour success. You're an inspiration.

    Wishing you a great year in 2011

    ReplyDelete
  3. A marvellous year Ellie. I'm sure 2011 will eclipse it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow!! What a brilliant year for you!! You are so published and you even met the ever so amazing Mr Shatner!! I think 2011 is gonna be a fantastic and even more fabulous year for you too - especially with your book all planned and ready to be completed!!! I have never met a writer as prolific and as determined and as fab and positive as you!!! I'm so in awe!!! GOOD LUCK!!!! And have a brilliant New Year's Eve!!!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so incredible!!!! Well done and good for you!!!

    I can't believe you met The Shatner. Wow @_@

    I hope next year is even better for you. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eliie,
    I have said before you are one of the many things that make this world great... many virtual hugs and kisses... You are!
    :)
    Jeremy [iZombie]

    ps. i am finishing my last post of the year, in a sort of different way... arrgh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such wonderful accomplishments, Ellie, and well deserved. Wishing you happiness and harmony for 2011 x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are awesome! Go ahead and gush over Shatner. Dude looks good for 80, don't you think?
    Amazing accomplishments - now on to an ever bigger 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just now discovered your excellent blog, Ellie. One of the best things that's happened to me in 2010... looking forward to reading about your upcoming accomplishments throughout the coming year of 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ellie, what wonderful news you had in 2010! So many great things happened for you, and I'm sure 2011 will hold some fabulous adventures for you to partake in. I wish you the best of luck! happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ellie .. Happy New Year .. and here's to lots more success in 2011 .. anthologies - great places to be published in ...

    I love the 12 days of Christmas take .. fun - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Go girl! Fabtastic that you had a good year... and there's so much more to come from you, I feel!

    Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Madeleine - Happy New Year! I'm glad I found you too!

    Tony Benson - Happy New Year! Thank you for your kind comments.

    Simon Kewin - Happy New Year! I hope 2011 will be an amazing year for us all.

    Old Kitty - Happy New Year! Thank you for your kind comments . . .I'm blushing. I don't feel like I'm a prolific writer, but I try to write as often as possible. And I'm in awe everytime I visit your blog. You always find something interesting and funny to say, and I love seeing and hearing about Charlie.

    The Words Crafter - Happy New Year. I'm still pinching myself over the William Shatner thing! I forgot to mention I've had a short story accepted for the Tribute to the Stars anthology, and as my story is a tribute to him, he'll receive a copy. Imagine if he actually reads it? Gulp. Hope you are having a wonderful New Year.

    iZombie - you are too sweet and kind . . .I'm blushing. Virtual hugs back! I shall pop over to your blog shortly.

    Maria Zannini - Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Margo Benson - Happy New Year! Thank you for your kind comments. I'm really looking forward to our Exeter Writing Group's meetings and getting to know you and Tony better.

    Gene - Happy New Year! Thank you for stopping by my blog and for your kind comments. I look forward to getting to know you better in 2011.

    Summer Ross - Happy New Year! Thank you for your awesome comments and sharing my journey over the last few months. I wish many wonderful things for you during 2011.

    Hilary Melton-Butcher - Happy New Year! Thank you for your kind comments; they are much appreciated. And I'm glad you are enjoying my take on the 12 days of Christmas.

    Alex J. Cavanaugh - Happy New Year! Okay. I'll gush over Shatner. Can I also go starry-eyed over Professor Brian Cox as well? LOL.

    Thank you for being such an inspiration to me over the last few months!

    brokenbiro - Happy New Year! Thank you for your kind comments. May all your dreams come true during 2011.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!