Monday, 6 December 2010

Through the Keyhole Blogfest

The gorgeous and talented Madeleine is hosting the Through the Keyhole Blogfest until the 11th December. Here is what you need to do, in her words:

"Describe someone's living space in no more than 500 words so that we can vividly imagine the absent person. Then guess from the descriptions posted the type of person who might live in a room like this.It could be a policeman, assylum seeker, a housewife, an author, a foster child, a Vicar who likes DIY, an axe murder (!) anyone you like, really, but not anyone famous."

Visit her blog for full rules and linkey.

Here is my entry, which I have to admit was not written specifically for this blogfest. But I really wanted to take part and I'm hoping it will qualify:

The pod was exactly as I had left it – the lighting set to the dimmest level to appease my migraines and the ambient temperature set to exactly 16.5 degrees Celsius. The faint hum of the air-conditioning unit brought the only natural element from the outside world and the opaque windows to the rear and front offered a hazy glimpse of the setting Sun.

The remains of my last meal – a re-hydrated vegetable stew – sat on the table in the pods small food allocation and disposal area. Beside the meal was a paperback copy of Jasper Fforde’s Lost in a Good Book, the only possession I was allowed to keep after my arrival. Paperback books were obsolete; no printed materials of any kind existed. The interrogation officers had been amused by my attachment to the book and against the rules, allowed me to keep it. I wished I’d brought more than one but then the trip was only supposed to last a week, not forever. Besides, where would I put them? There were no shelves of any kind and the pod’s sterile, white walls, performed their role efficiently – why hang pictures or display ornaments when none existed?

I glanced up at the neon time display, which blinked a constant reminder of the pod’s main function; connecting to the central hub. It was only 1800 hours and I was not required to login in until 0600. Had they left me with twelve torturous hours as a test? Where they willing me to fail again? I sat down at the desk that ran the entire length of the pod’s right side and did the last thing they would expect – I logged in early. The pain from the migraine would almost kill me but I didn’t care. “Conform and stay alive,” had been her last words and I intended to follow them.

I will let you know who it is next Sunday.

18 comments:

  1. I love this piece, bless you Ellie for joining in.
    It's rather an unconventional entry as the person is there and not absent, but I guess it's post apocalyptic. Perhaps a person forced on a mission in a solitary space capsule rather like a guinea pig astronaut to seek out new planets? :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeleine - I did cheat a little, although you still don't know who the person is. I'm glad you liked it and an interesting guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have an idea, and so i will post...
    ellie... your prize: you can have any image/photo turned into a zombie art... just tell me... i will send it to you for printing... unless you would like to provide something to me... i am at your mercy...
    :)
    iZombie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see who this is! I have an idea, but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not going to even try to guess, bue excellent entry! I can really visualize the pod.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!!! Ooooh is she the LAST surviving WOMAN on Earth???

    take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very intriguing!

    I kept seeing someone who was somehow connected to a giant hub. Perhaps she was fuel, her neurons feeding the central brain, and that might explain her migraines.

    Whoever she is, she caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well it's definitely the future. But I can't get past this thing in my head about someone being observed in some sort of disease investigation centre. You know - like they lock people up and try to get them to catch colds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting and very futuristic! I have no idea who it is - look forward to finding out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your writing, Elie, there is such purity in it. The pod sounds like some kind of holding area, even a prison of some kind where all the character's moods and moves are monitored. Looking forward to finding out.
    Is it your NaNo character?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this was good!

    I love a challenge! She has travelled through time to the future, or has been in suspended animation, but something has gone wrong. She is meant to have jumped a week, but has travelled a lifetime or more. Now, everything is virtual - no possessions or artefacts. Had she arrived here because of her own failure? Is "she", the mysterious advisor, the AI at the heart of the hub? What trauma awaits her if they do not expect her to log in early? I want to know!!!! :)
    :Dom

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot WAIT to find out! Excellent post; I'm totally hooked :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Ellie I can visualise the pod but I don't want to be there! BTW there is an award waiting for you at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. iZombie - Ooo...sounds good. Can't wait to read it! I can have ANY image? Really? Lucky me. I shall send you something shortly. Thank you!

    Janel - LOL. I shall reveal all on Sunday.

    Alex J. Cavanaugh - thank you. That is really flattering coming from you.

    Old Kitty - I can't possibly say. Muahahahahah.

    Maria Zannini - thank you. That means a lot coming from you. I finished your book at the weekend and I can honestly say it is one of the best books I have read this year. I loved the way the main characters roles were reversed at the end!

    MorningAJ - Muhahahahaha. I will reveal all on Sunday!

    Talli Roland - I shall reveal all on Sunday ;)

    Margo Benson - thank you. Your comments mean a lot. I couldn't possibily answer the question until Sunday ;)

    Dominic de Mattos - I love your comments; they show what an amazing imagination you have! I shall reveal all on Sunday.

    The Words Crafter - thank you!

    L'Aussie - No. I wouldn't want to be there either! Thank you for my award.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved the description, Ellie. I have a very faint idea, but I am sure it will be wrong. Waiting for sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rachna - thank you. You'll have to let me know if you were right!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting futuristic feel to this piece. I like the descriptions, Of what I'm given here i think its a young lady who is intelligent smart and under alot of stress.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Summer Ross - thank you for your kind comments. All will be revealed on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!