Monday, 10 January 2011

100 Words for $100 Dollars Blogfest

Over at You're Write. Except when you're rong, super-cool Elena Solodow is hosting her first blogfest, in honour of her 100th post.

The 100 Words for $100 Dollars Blogfest runs from the 1st - 31st January and the objective is to 'write one 100-word sentence (with a 5-word leeway, so between 95 words or 105 words). You may use ONE semi-colon, if necessary. There is no genre. The only requirement is that you love it enough to post it on various social networking sites.'

For further details, video, and linky, visit her blog.

Here is my entry:

You probably think this is going to be one of those boring sentences that waffles on and on about nothing in particular and in a way you could be right – a sentence about nothing much at all is rather boring and can be as unappetizing as Belgian waffles without the corn syrup – but you have forgotten one very important thing about writing; what a reader takes from the words, and the order they are laid out in, is subjective, and so what one person thinks is uninspired prose, another may believe to be the greatest prose they have ever read.

*


Elena also hosts a weekly Video Log (Vlog) on Fridays, where she reads a 250 - 500 word excerpt from a writer's WIP. To see an example, listen and watch her reading the inspiring Jan 3rd 2000 by Summer Ross.

I'm thrilled to announce that she will be reading a first-draft excerpt from my horror novel in writing, The Devil's Song, in early February. I will let you know the date nearer the time.

Why not submit an excerpt from your WIP?

24 comments:

  1. Love the sentence Ellie :D
    I might have to have a go myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sentence. I like how you worked Belgian waffles in there, and I loved the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the most unique entry I've read so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved you piece it was easily readable and flowed beautifully. I didn't enter cause she said it wasn't open to followers outside of USA.

    Congrats on the reading of your horror story. How exciting! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh wow Ellie, you should enable comments on your novels page because they both sound *fabulous*! I love the mock up covers as well. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!!!! Oh wow!!! This is seriously GOOD - and wise too!!! Yay!!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Belgian waffles! And what a clever sentences!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Er, 'sentence'. Sorry! I'm in a food-induced stupor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your sentence. Is that the book cover for Devil's Song I see? Or not?

    Thanks for joining the blog book tour party. If you come back and leave your email I can put you in the contest to win a free book. Either Michael's or mine.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, fantasy author

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came and saw. Thanks for the shout-out on the excerpt vlogs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome entry!! Good luck! Hope you get it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool entry! This is the first I've heard of the blogfest!

    Congrats on getting your excerpt chosen to be read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Steven Chapman - do give it a go; the more blogfests the better, I say!

    Liz Pezzuto - thank you! I have a weakness for Belgian waffles. LOL.

    Madeleine - Oh. I've checked Elena's blog and can't find any mention of it not being open to non-USA followers. I'll have to ask her and let you know.

    Alex J. Cavanaugh - thank you . . .I think. LOL.

    Madeleine - thank you! I'm so thrilled you like them both. I didn't know you could enable comments on blog pages - do you know how to do it?

    Old Kitty - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Talli Roland - thank you. I could eat Belgian waffles every day. LOL.

    N. R. Williams - yes. It's my mock cover for The Devil's Song, my WIP horror novel. Ooo...I shall pop back and leave my email.

    Elena Solodow - your welcome about the Vlog; I'm so excited about it! Madeleine has left me a comment, which has me worried. She says that your 100-word contest is not open to non-US followers. Is that correct? If it is, don't worry. I enjoyed writing it anyway.

    Colene Murphy - thank you!

    Carolina Valdez Miller - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow great job-- like turning nothing into something sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a trained journalist. 100 word sentences are exactly what I don't write! MUST have a go at that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I'm going to have to try this. I'm sure I have a sentence that long somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome! Love your entry- very eloquent sounding. Doesn't sound like a huge long sentence at all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great piece! Made me smile. It flowed well and was amusing in its rambling.

    P.S.: You have an award waiting for you at my site!

    http://jc-martin.com/fighterwriter/awards/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ellie- Great sentence- good luck in the contest. I entered too :) I'll be very glad to see what she does with one of your excerpts!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely sentence...good luck with the contest. Since I live in Asia, I took part just for the fun of it :)

    Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I did one!
    http://morningaj.blogspot.com/2011/01/river-of-stones-january-11-comparison.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. lol, I love your entry! Nice work

    ReplyDelete
  24. Christina Lee - thank you!

    MorningAJ - you should! And you have! Yay!

    Patti - do have a go; it's a fun exercise in writing!

    Abby Minard - thank you!

    Summer Ross - thank you! I'm going to try and get around all the entries that have been posted this weekend. I loved what Elena did your excerpt.

    J. C. Martin - thank you for your kind comments and my award. Yay!

    Damyanti - thank you!

    Lynda Young - thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!