Friday, 7 January 2011

Friday Five: Random Bits and Write 1 Sub 1 Update

There is no particular theme to today's Friday Five; instead I'm listing some exciting discoveries to get you writing, reading and listening to music.

1. Magemanda at Floor to Ceiling Books is hosting the Speculative Fiction Reading Challenge 2011. The first part of the challenge is to read a minimum of 12 speculative books between 1st January - 31st December. The second part is to post a review of each book. All participants who post a monthly book review will be entered into a monthly prize draw. Click here for full details.

2. Awesome author, Alex J. Cavanaugh, is hosting another of his infamous blogfests. Previously he has covered The Movie Dirty Dozen and Top Ten TV Shows. This time it is all about music; the Top Ten Countdown Music Blogfest. There is lots of fun to be had with this one, as you dust off those records sleeves or search your iPods. Click here for further details and linky.

3. Janel at Janel's Jumble recently posted some motivational writing improvement tools for 2011. Click here to learn more about an idea a day, prompt bowls and reading in unfamiliar genres.

4. Sticking with Janel, she has kindly emailed me two new flash fiction markets. Dark Moon Books has put out a submission call Frightmares: A Flash Fiction Anthology (Volume One) and Eaten Alive is an online zombie fiction site that will feature a new story every Monday and Friday. Both of these look ideal for keeping up with the Write 1 Sub 1 challenge, which I am completing alongside my novel.

5. Finally, another home for your flash Fiction. Postcard Shorts welcome stories around 250 words that could fit on a postcard. Stories are submitted and published online. Click here for full details.


Write 1 Sub 1 Update:

When I signed up for the Write 1 Sub 1 challenge, I was conscious that my main writing aim for 2011 - to finish writing my science fiction novel - would take a considerable amount of my writing time. But I love writing short stories and don't want to stop. So, for reasons of time, a large percentage of my Write 1 Sub 1 entries will be flash fiction. Although this is going to be a difficult challenge to complete, I am grateful that it will keep motivating me to write and submit.

For week one (1st - 7th January) I submitted Seaward Sign, a 250 flash fiction piece, to Postcard Shorts and received my first acceptance for 2011. Seaward Sign was in part based on a piece I wrote for the Six Sentences website. You can read it here.

Do you know of any other flash fiction markets?

11 comments:

  1. lots of cool things going on and plenty more coming... happy friday!
    jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those are cool. I've just submitted a short story to the postcard one. (I saw Seaward Sign on there while I was browsing - well done!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many cool things happening! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Ellie, Clever you! Well done. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Ellie!! Seaward Sign is brilliant. What a story!! It's chilling but darkly romantic and completely mad. I love it, thank you for sharing. I really really enjoyed this story - I'm gonna read it again!!!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent story, just made me shiver!

    Glad you liked my links too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on Seaward Sign being accepted. I read it few seconds back. Its lovely. Flash Fiction is something I have never tried. Will give it a shot soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for mentioning my blogfest! Close to 60 people already signed up.
    Sorry, I've never written a flash fiction piece and wouldn't know what to do with it afterwards. Lame...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome stuffs! Thanks for the links!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. iZombie - sometimes there are too many things to choose from!

    MorningAJ - thank you. I hope to read yours soon.

    Madeleine - thank you.

    Old Kitty - thank you! You are so kind and thoughtful.

    Elena - thank you.

    Melissa - thank you!

    Janel - thank you. I was feeling all spooky and sinister this week. LOL.

    Alex J. Cavanaugh - you should try writing flash fiction sometime; it's a lot of fun. Can't wait for your blogfest!

    Rachna - do try it; it's very rewarding.

    Colene Murphy - your welcome.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!