Friday, 21 January 2011

The Significant Other Blogfest

There is no Friday Five today, as talented authors DL Hammons and Talli Roland are hosting The Significant Other Blogfest, where your significant other takes over your blog for the day or has been put under the spotlight and asked what it's like supporting The Writer.


My partner was a little reluctant to do a blog post all by himself, so I asked The Muse to interview him. Over to them:

1. What shall I call you?
I’m Stephen R. Grant but you can call me Steve.


2. Hi Steve. How long have you and The Writer been together?
Nearly 17 years. Crikey. Longer than a life sentence.

2. What is it that you do, other than supporting The Writer?
I’m a convenience store manager.

3. Do you write?
No. I don’t even read fiction. Film music and spaghetti westerns are my hobbies.

4. That sounds interesting, where did your hobbies come from?
I worked in several local cinemas in my late teens and early twenties and the spaghetti western films of Sergio Leone fascinated me. I’ve always had a passion for film music. Actually I like most types of music, except opera and jazz. Not to keen on most forms of modern pop, though I do like Lady GaGa. Don’t get me started on the new Take That album. Very disappointed.

5. Would you like to take part in next Monday’s Top Ten Countdown Music Blogfest?
Laughs out loud at this. I think he knows what a hard time The Writer is having choosing her own ten songs.

6. Tell me something random about yourself?
We once convinced The Writer’s family that Richard E. Grant was my cousin. It was quite funny because every time he was on television we’d make some casual remark about cousin Richard being on that night and that he’d phone us the other day. This went on for several years until they finally asked whether it was true.

7. And what was your answer?
That he was my cousin!

8. Would you say you’re quite a mischievous person?
Yes. Well, we both are. Our favourite thing is when people listen in on our conversations in coffee shops. When we’re aware of it we generally start an alarming conversation about one of us having a nasty contagious rash and that we hope the café cleans our cups thoroughly. It normally sends them running. Laughs again.

9. I’m beginning to see where The Writer gets her ideas. Do you read The Writer’s work?
Yes. When she lets me.

10. What do you think of it?
I’ve been telling her for years she is a talented writer and I try to free up as much spare time for her to write. I believe in what she is trying to do and I know she will have a novel published one day. Of course how much I like it depends on the genre; she’s written some quite dark stuff recently.

11. Does that worry you?
No. I think it’s a product of watching too much CSI and reading Stephen King. I don’t think she’s about to turn serial killer on me! He pretends to check the kitchen draws for any sharp knives at this point. Apparently they’ve been banned – The Writer is rather accident-prone.

12. What food or drink is guaranteed to return The Writer to a good mood, even after a bad days writing?
Kentucky Fried Chicken.

13. What one thing would you change about her writing habits?
Nothing. Though sometimes I worry she spends too much time writing and not enough time relaxing. She needs to learn to switch off.

14. Finally, how hard is it to sit by and watch someone you care for struggle to attain a dream...knowing there's very little you can do to help?
I don’t struggle with it because I know for her it is more about the enjoyment of writing than being published. Even if her dream never came true, she would still write.

Well, that's all the questions. Thank you to The Muse and Steve; it was very illuminating.

Don't forget to check out the other blogfest entrants here and if you're looking for another challenge then sign up for the Top Ten Horror/Science Fiction Movie Quotes Blogfest here.

59 comments:

  1. crazy fun... the photo is my favorite reeling it all in... as for question number 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo and interview! Now I'm craving KFC...

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's a keeper! Writing would be tough without the support of our other half. Way to go, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw! Great interview! I think the consensus is that us writers need an OFF switch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is definitely a keeper!!! Great interview!!! I'm with Elena, now I'm craving KFC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun, supportive hubby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Richard E Grant is your cousin - that's funny!
    And the Writer can do it! Ten songs. Help her, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to meet you Stephen R Grant! The Writer is so fabulous that I'm so happy to see just how fab you are!!! Yay!!!!

    Thanks for sharing! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! KFC!!! I haven't eaten that since I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job. Fried chicken does it for me too. And chocolate. And popcorn. And really... any food will do. I'm always hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. KFC! YUM! It's been ages since I've had that.

    He sounds like a real keeper! :) Thanks for taking part.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As I'm a huge fan of 'The Writer' I'm thrilled she has a partner as fabulous as you! Sergio Leone films are a must in our house too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love his sense of humor! You sound like a great couple. Great getting to know you, and I look forward to reading more from you in future!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Honey...we're having KFC for dinner!

    You two are a hoot and an awesome couple! Thank you so much for taking part today and making it very special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting interview. I use the "bad gas' gag instead of a contagious rash to clear an area. Works every time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So great to get to you both you a Steve a little bit--he sounds like a lot of fun to have around!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that picture, shows he's a fun loving guy - cue the cousin Richard prank, lol! Lovely interview all round

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are such an understanding hubby! Love the support. TGW

    ReplyDelete
  19. He looks like a character! And they say writers are weird.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a supportive hubby! Congratz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was very illuminating! Sounds like Steve is a great guy, and you two have an awesome relationship! (Also, I like his name :-))

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Muse for letting us get an insight into the esteemed S.O. It sounds like you guys have a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gotta love Kentucky Fried Chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice post. You guys must be a hoot together.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pleased to meet you Mr Grant. Thanks to you and Ellie for the lovely post about you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. and about Ellie, too. Sorry wasn't able to complete the sentence. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That photo is hilarious! Great interview, your husband sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great post! Sounds like you two have a lot fun together.

    Dan - my wife's post.

    ReplyDelete
  29. he sounds amazing, so supportive and so much faith in what you do. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  30. Aw, what a fun, sweet husband! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. The Richard E Grant this is so funny! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOL! KFC~ great stuff. I worked in the Union theater in college, and I am completely addicted to old movies. And old movie theater popcorn~ :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  33. Now I'm hungry for KFC - haven't had food from there in ages! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love idea for the horror movie quotes blogfest - I just signed up!

    Great interview, too! Your husband sounds like a lovely guy!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your husband sounds hilarious! And I am not allowed near the knives either. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awesome Q&A! You two sound like a really fun/funny pair!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great post, Ellie. Your husband's responses had me laughing:P

    ReplyDelete
  38. This one had me laughing the whole time. Mr. Steve should be a stand-up comic.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a supportive guy! My husband is worried about the "darkness" of my novels as well. But, he knows it's all part of the process.
    CD

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a great post!! I love how you refer to yourself as The Writer. Nice job. This blogfest is so wonderful. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  41. You had me at the photo - how fun is that?! Really enjoyed reading about The Writer and The Cowboy, you sound like a fab pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a hoot! I love spaghetting westerns too - especially while eating spaghetti :) So nice to meet your Steve.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  43. oh my gosh...#8 had me rolling in the floor laughing. Great to meet you. Both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great post! What a nice hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Ellie and Steve .. sounds a good combo to me .. have fun supporting each other .. and it sounds like a weekend off is on the cards - relaxing together .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Ellie,

    Have to say this post is genius! Love the picture of Steve too.

    Well done mate a classic! My parents have asked for your Blog address so I will be forwarding it to them today.

    Love
    you lots! Hugs
    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  47. LOVE the picture. And the post was great!

    (Don't whack me but I didn't know what a spaghetti western was...had to ask hubbers)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Really enjoyed this. I liked the bit about conversations in coffee shops because I've done this kind of thing on the bus where we pretend we know the people walking along the road and talk loudly about their lives like some soap opera :O)

    ReplyDelete
  49. iZombie - I know what you mean about Q3; how can someone not enjoy reading?!

    Elena Solodow - did you get KFC? I'm being super-healthy at the moment so I'm resisting. LOL.

    Lisa Ricard Claro - thank you from Steve and I.

    Candyland - you're right. We are all a little too dedicated sometimes!

    Jen Daiker - Oops. . .I think KFC has been busy the couple of days. LOL.

    Janel - thank you from Steve and I!

    Alex J. Cavanaugh - it was the fact none of my family could bring themselves to ask! I've narrowed it down to 32 songs. Getting there!

    Old Kitty - bless you. Steve and I thank you!

    Jessica Bell - since a kid? Now that is will-power!

    Talli Roland - KFC is the best. Must resist. Must resist.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Stephanie M. Loree - your making me hungry. LOL.

    Margo Benson - Steve and I thank you!

    Nicole Ducleroir - Steve and I thank you!

    DL Hammons - you had KFC?! Noooo....I didn't. Must resist. Must resist. LOL. Thank you for running such an awesome blogfest. We both loved it.

    Stephen Tremp - LOL. Steve and I thank you!

    Elle Strauss - he really is a great guy and got such a sense of humour. Thank you for stopping by!

    Myne Whitman - thank you! It's one of my favourite pictures of him.

    The Good Wifehood - Steve thanks you!

    L. Diane Wolfe - I know! I'm sure he's a lot crazier than me. LOL.

    Mysti - Steve thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Sangu - LOL. He appreciated the part about liking his name!

    Tony Benson - The Muse and Steve thank you!

    Angela Felsted - I know. Must resist. Must resist.

    Wendy Tyler Ryan - we try to be!

    Len - Steve and I thank you!

    Melissa - Steve and I thank you!

    Dan - thank you. We do try!

    Summer Ross - Steve thanks you!

    Meredith - Steve and I thank you!

    Lydia K - it was. I still can't believe how long it took my parents to ask if it was true!

    ReplyDelete
  52. LTM - you and Steve would get on so well!

    Nicole Zoltack - KFC. Yummy. Must resist. Must resist. LOL.

    Lisa - Steve thanks you. I'm thrilled you've signed up for the movie quotes blogfest. Yay!

    Elizabeth Briggs - Steve thanks you. Aah...you have the knife problem too. I do everything with a bread knife; it's the only thing I can't cut myself with. LOL.

    Colene Murphy - Steve and I thank you!

    LReneeS - Steve and I thank you!

    walk2write - I keep telling him that!

    Clarissa Draper - Steve thanks you!

    salarsen - Steve and I thank you!

    Kath - Steve and I thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Donna Hole - Steve thanks you!

    L.A. Colvin - it always amazes me how we both manage to keep straight faces! Thank you for stopping by.

    Alexia - Steve thanks you!

    Hilary Melton-Butcher - you are right. We're on holiday the week after next and promised each other we'd get a few days away.

    Rachel - hi hun. I just got your text from earlier - I forgot to charge my battery and it flatlined on me. LOL. Glad you liked the blog post. You're the best mate ever!

    Vicki Rocho - Steve says thank you and how could you not know what a spaghetti western was?! LOL.

    Madeleine - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love his answer about how it's not hard to watch because he knows you write more for the enjoyment of it than getting published. I feel that way too, but I have to admit, I can get pretty preoccupied with the publishing piece of it from time to time.

    Great post - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Love this interview. #8 made me giggle a lot. I doubt I'll be able to sit in a coffee shop without thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  56. This was very fun! The coffee shop situation was really funny. Lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Wonderful interview. 17 years is a long time. Since I like murders in my stories my husband always jokes that he can't make me made or I might do away with him.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Susan Fields - I can be the same as you, despite what he says!

    Kari Marie - yeah. I'm sure we've put a few people of for life!

    Patricia A. Timms - Steve and I thank you!

    Nessa - LOL. I knew the murder angle would come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Welcome to "FRIGHT CLUB"
    You have been selected to be a member, but we do not exist.
    Do not share this with anyone, Frights begin soon...
    Rules are "NOT" there and you need "NOT" join:

    http://frightclub.blogspot.com/

    [DO NOT PASS THIS ALONG]

    I am not here...
    TDFC99

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!