Saturday, 26 February 2011

Nifty 50 Blogfest

Today is the Nifty 50 Blogfest hosted by the fabulous Anstice Potts (Tizzy) at Impossible Dreams, in celebration of reaching 50 followers.

The brief was to write a blog post based on the theme of fifty. Your post 'could be a poem, a short scene, anecdote or even a list of your top 50 favourite things-the choice is yours! It could be about a 50th birthday or wedding anniversary, a group of fifty people, or perhaps be set in 1950. Whatever you choose, it has to involve the number 50 in some significant way'. For further instructions and to read other entries click here.

My short scene is told through dialogue only and, unusually for me, has no speculative element. I wanted to write something fun and light hearted. I hope I achieved it!


Pushing Fifty


“Did you say 50?”

“Yes.”

“Really?”

“I know. I don’t look 50, do I? People are always saying how young I look.”

“Well I-”

“It’s all about skin care. Cleanse, exfoliate and moisturize. And plenty of water!”

“It’s just the role calls for a woman in her late forties.”

“Well, then I’m perfect for the part. When do we start shooting?”

“No. What I’m trying to say is you look too old.”

“Too old?”

“Yes. I mean obviously you look good for your age, no one is saying anything different. It’s just you look nearer . . . .sixty. How old are you really?”

“Forty-eight.”

“Really?”

“Yes!”

“Right. Well thank you for auditioning. We’ll be in touch.”


* * *

“Are you next?”

“Yes.”

“I wouldn’t bother.”

“Why?”

“They’re looking for a woman in her late forties who looks like she’s in her thirties. Of course, I was perfect for the part. But time conflicts and so on. Never mind. Maybe next year.”


* * *

“Did you know that woman?”

“Nope.”

“What did she want?”

“I’m tempted to say botox.”


The End


I will not be able to visit and comment on the other entries until Sunday, as I am working all day and then have my step-granddaughter's first ballet recital. Please accept my apologies and be assured I will be visiting tomorrow.

23 comments:

  1. ha ha - oh this was great!

    You caught the superficiality of the industry perfectly!

    :Dom

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFL! Great stuff! Loved it :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent Ellie,
    I wish I could have entered but already signed up for Mondays blogfest also am going out for the day.

    Enjoy your week-end.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this vignette. You had me smiling straight off. It is an excellent commentary on our obsession with looks. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ellie, thanks for entering. I really enjoyed your dialogue. The end was funny and I liked that you were making fun of how shallow some people can be, but I also felt sorry for the woman. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This just goes to show you how impacting dialogue can be. There is no narrative, but the dialogue says it all. It's a craft to hone.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy this. Great way to use just dialogue :)

    Holly

    www.hereshesat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me again,

    Would you mind posting my blogfest on your blogfest page please.

    The details are here...

    http://londongirl-about-town.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweet-city-of-mine-blogfest-challenge.html

    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol Great scene. Loved the woman's delusions. Do I have them? Probably.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story!! I love the use of just dialogue - you created fabulous characters and an amazing seamless flow of scenes - from one to the other carrying this fab story along other levels!!

    Yay!!!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! The last line is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent dialogue, funny and such a perfect glimpse into the world of the superficial, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! I could see the whole scene. Excellent work, Ellie. Loved it~ :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grrrreat dialogue! You captured that superficiality perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard that conversation before!

    Excellent post :)

    Lady A x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect. Loved they way you covered you post

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, that was funny! And probably spot on with how casting goes :)))

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!