Monday, 21 February 2011

Passing Time at February Femmes Fatales

I am appearing today as a February Femme Fatales (FFF) over at Lily Child's Feardom blog. Lily is a talented and dedicated writer and if you haven't visited her blog, please do.

My featured short story is called Passing Time and was written especially for the FFF event and I'd like to share with you what inspired the supernatural tale. Whilst this may sound morbid to some I've always been fascinated by death and the statement, 'the only two certainties in life are death and taxes.' Is death a certainty? Do some of us become trapped between life and death? And what if before we die we have another stage of life to live through?

Though I have not talked about this on my blog before, another important source of inspiration for me has been David Bowie. Unlike my peers, I was not swooning over Duran Duran or Limahl in the 1980s; I was obsessed with anything Bowie, and the earlier the material the better. Ziggy Stardust. The Thin White Duke. I loved them all. There is one song in particular, which ironically he did not write, that captivated me upon first hearing his cover version - My Death by Jacques Brel. It is this song that gave me the idea for Passing Time and I thought I'd share it with you. I don't think Passing Time comes anywhere near doing justice to this song and Bowie's performance of it, but I like to think I tried.




Has an artist or song inspired any of your stories?

13 comments:

  1. oh, yes. I was inspired by several songs on my last MS--a few of which were French... Also a Bowie lover here. And remember Grace Jones? My college roommate's parents were fans of Brel. crazy~

    ReplyDelete
  2. ELLIE!!!!! Your story is absolutely fantastic!!! I'm SO creeped out it's unbelievable!!!! Yay!!!! Well done you!!!

    Now all I have to do is go home (I'm at work!! LOL!) and listen to Mr Bowie sing it like it is. Maybe I should turn the lights low....!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie - Your story is brilliant! I loved it. And Bowie is amazing, isn't he? I recall years ago watching him sing a duet with Bob Hope (there's a pairing one wouldn't expect) and recall being quite surprised by Mr. Bowie's versatility and talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you sharing Mr Bowie (with his old teeth) I really enjoyed your story over at Lily Childs and was completely chilled.

    I have an un-named rock star who pops into my WIP and, although I didn't start out with anyone in mind, he's ended up looking a touch like Robert Plant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One poem I wrote early on after my husband's death was "Without You" it was inspired by an old Johnny Tillotson song of the same name.
    Several poems have been inspired by songs.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did leave a comment about your story on the blog but I can't see it now so I will leave one here instead. It's wonderfully chilling and very clever. I look forward to reading more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Ellie. just to say I recieved your email about Amazon. Thank you very much.

    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a big Bowie fan, too, but confess to drooling over Simon Le Bon as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was inspired by Jen Titus' version of O Death to start my latest WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely have songs that inspired some of my stuff. I can't listen while I write, but songs can get the ideas churning. Love Bowie, myself, though the 80s were more Depeche Mode years for me... and I love the description you've got of your story and where this idea came from!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can say that no song has ever made me come up with a manuscript idea, however midway through that doesn't mean they don't sneak in and steal the show with their many ideas.

    Great post today!!! I love this post! Hopping over for the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. David Bowie is the inspiration behind the villain in my middle grade novel--just his looks---dyed hair, one blue eye, one brown! Also Joe Strummer from the Clash...

    ReplyDelete
  13. LTM - gosh. Grace Jones! Now that is a blast from the past.

    Old Kitty - bless you. I'm thrilled you liked my story and I'm glad I got you in the mood for some Bowie!

    Lisa Ricard Claro - thank you! I've seen Bowie in concert three times and wished he still toured. Never mind - the CDs will have to do!

    Margo Benson - Ooo...I love the sound of a rock star in your WIP!

    welcome to my world of poetry - I shall have to google that song. Thank you for sharing.

    Jarmara Falconer - thank you.

    M Pax - alright. I did kind of have a crush on Nik Kershaw for five minutes on year. LOL.

    Melissa Bradley - another song I must check out. Thank you for sharing!

    Hart Johnson - thank you for your lovely comments about my story and the inspiration behind it. My older brother was into Depeche Mode. Brings back so many happy memories!

    Jen Daiker - thank you!

    Her highness, Samantha Verant - David Bowie as the villain - perfect!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!