Tuesday, 15 March 2011

Teaser Tuesday (4) and Delusional Doom Blogfest

Today's book teaser is from a science fiction novel that won the 1976 Nebula Award and is featured among the SF Masterworks series.


Title: Man Plus
Author: Frederik Pohl

It is not an easy thing for a flesh-and-blood human being to come to terms with the knowledge that some of his flesh is going to be ripped from him and replaced with steel, copper, silver, plastic, alumium and glass. We could see that Torraway was not behaving very rationally.

When I first started reading this novel I was taken aback by the style - it reads as though you, the reader, are receiving a lecture on the events of the MC's life and Man Plus mission. Presumably the clinical way in which the story is told is because the POV belongs to a scientist, though I'm half way through and still have no idea to whom the viewpoint belongs.

What I can tell you is this is a horrifying vision of the future - a future where having an American living on Mars may be the only way to stop the world descending into another world war and the President will go to any lengths to achieve it. This is a science fiction novel that is just as much at home in the horror genre. Be warned - it is not for the faint-hearted.

Click here for how to take part in MizB's Teaser Tuesday.




There is no WIP teaser today, as I am taking part in Hart Johnson's Delusional Doom Blogfest.






The purpose of this blogfest is to do any of the following:

Predict your own death.
Predict someone ELSES death.
Write your own obituary.
Write someone ELSES obituary.
Plot a murder of someone sorely asking for it, step by step.

I must admit that it feels somehow wrong to be taking part in this blogfest after the tragic events in Japan, but this blogfest was planned way before it and I'd already signed up. Here is my entry, which takes the form of a rather over-optimistic obituary:

Ellie Garratt (1972 - 2073) passed away on the 29th June, just one day shy of her 101st birthday. Best known for her series of ground-breaking science fiction novels, two of which won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards in 2019/2021. She was a tireless supporter of literacy for all and campaigned for the eventual successful removal of student tuition fees. Much loved by her family and friends, she leaves behind her beloved dog, Tiberius.

Please don't forget to visit the other entries.

Back to book teasers, are there any books or stories you want to tease us with?

39 comments:

  1. Oh bless love the dogs name Tiberius. Almost made me cry!

    But then I can be a soppy git! 101 is pretty good though - I wonder if the nursing home will put up with us for that long lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have trouble coming to terms with that too!

    Here is my teaser for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 101 years. Gosh, Ellie thats a long time dear. Hope I am not sounding morbid, but I loved the obituary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That teaser is just gruesome! Think I'll pass by this book! (Good job on your obituary!)

    Stopping by from TT. Here's ours if you get a chance to visit: http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2011/03/tuesday-teasers.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh...the whole doom thing just freaked me out. *shiver* Nicely done, although I don't think I could write one. Am I being too serious? LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, I can see Tiberius with his paw on your grave! I wonder who'll be on the throne when you're 101. Great writing.

    The teaser sounds fascinating in a nightmare kind of way...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uhhhh. Yeah, I'd have a bit of trouble too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea of that blogfest, but you are right, it's a bad time for it. Still fun to see what you imagine your death and future to be like, so in a sense it's also about living a good life.
    Nahno ∗ McLein

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great entry for the blogfest! Loved the obituary for sure... I have to say that it was cool to see you living until 101 :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I will give this one a miss, don't kken on reading obituaries,
    On the other hand you wrote an excellent post.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First - I love that teaser so much I'm searching my local library's catalogue for a copy!

    Second - I LOVE YOUR OBITUARY!!!! Poor sweet Tiberius! Poor lovely Ellie!! Much loved and very much missed!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shivers on my spine.

    Poor Tiberius. I'm sure he'll miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the name Tiberius; YOU did a great job on the OBIT! 101 and much accomplished; She was a fine woman and will be missed ~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awe! Great Obit!! 101 eh? Awesome post!!!
    That book sounds really interesting, also. Never heard of it but wow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,

    Cool obituary - and nothing like blowing one's own trumpet! ;) Loved it.

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like it - now I wanna dog called Tiberius. So was the death a comfortable in your sleep kind of one or was it the dog with a crowbar in the library...

    ReplyDelete
  17. this was a tough one. I didn't plan on having to write it while my heart was breaking for all those suffering in Japan. I liked your idea of writing an obituary....and used it to find the strength to write my post for the blogfest.

    The Survival Mama

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a good teaser! And I like your blogfest entry- if only I will live to 101 LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. hooray for our award-winning literacy supporter! sigh. I knew her when...

    and I don't think it's morbid. It is the Ides of March after all~ ;p <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've not heard of that book - sounds interesting! As for the blogfest, that's a fascinating idea for one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your spotlighted book is one of my favorites. And your obit was fun. A dog named Tiberius? What is not to love in that? And you made it to 101. I didn't make it that far in my entry. The ghost of Raymond Chandler seeks revenge on the ghost of Ernest Hemingway for my murder and gives my obit. I had fun writing it. Hope you like if you decide to check it out, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  22. ah, good writing is in the details and your dog's name made this obituary!
    what a delicious fun blogfest this is. At least for us morbid types.
    Jan Morrison

    ReplyDelete
  23. Short an succinct ... now that's the way to write an obit. You had all the fine details climaxing with you treasured dog Tiberius....

    Well done.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  24. You did a great job with that obituary, though it sounds wrong to say great obituary.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice obit. Glad to see you got such nice awards.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Short and sweet and well done. I love the dog's name.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'll have to check out that book. Intriguing teaser!

    Poor Tiberius!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I liked Pohl's Gateway a lot. I haven't read that one.

    Congrats on the Hugos and Nebulas! They were well deserved. :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice age to reach! And what a fulfilled life ; )

    T.x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ha! You share my lifetime BFFs birthday. Love your career track and ripe old age!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice little obituary, but I really like the sound of that novel. Look into the singularity movement, found in the Time magazine article, last month. Insanity, but so close to reality. Do people see how close we are to virtual reality? Xbox kinnect gives us our bodies as controllers, and our TV's are becoming 3D. We aren't far from the unthinkable. And if we can create alternate worlds in games, can download our brains into computers and all other things, how far fetched can our living in a dream or program really be?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm a bit of a wimp for this one! :) Well done though!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, Ellie....how cool! I couldn't come up with anything like that, I don't think!! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. 101, wow! And how old would that make the dog? Sweet obit, btw. Only 2 awards? I think it will be more.

    And the teaser books sounded creepy! I could never live on mars, shudder!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I definitely think you would win more than those 2 awards. :) Great post and I will have to check out Man Plus and the Delusional Doom blog fest.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You'd do well to tuck this away in the safe deposit box along with the last will and testament. And don't let Tiberius near the road . .

    This was fun.

    ....dhole

    ReplyDelete
  37. Awh that is sweet. Lovely obituary.
    I wish I was well enough to take part in the plotting a murder part of this blogfest.

    You have a special award over at mine BTW. :O)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!