Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Teaser Tuesday (5): Henrietta Lacks & Seeds of Change


Today's book teaser is from a New York Times bestseller.


Title: The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks
Author: Rebecca Skloot

The Lackses challenged everything I thought I knew about faith, science, journalism, and race. It's not only the story of HeLa cells and Henrietta Lacks, but of Henrietta's family - particularly Deborah - and their lifelong struggle to make peace with the existence of those cells, and the science that made them possible.

I found this book whilst waiting to meet someone in Waterstones and could not leave without it. It concerns one woman's quest to tell the story of Henrietta Lacks and the cancer cells that were taken without her knowledge and used to inform science, Nobel Laureates, and make fortunes, and the devastating consequences of this to her family. I am expecting it to be a difficult read but something in me says I must read it.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB of Should be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Open to a random page.
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! Make sure that what you share doesn't give too much away! You don't want to ruin the book for others.
  • Share the title and author too so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers.



Today's WIP teaser comes from a novel idea that I'm playing with for a future project and occasionally add a few hundred words to.

As her thoughts turned to the long walk to the extraction point – she would have to walk several kilometres to circumnavigate the alien group she had been observing – she noticed one of the alien males heading in the direction of her camp and cursed herself for not seeing him earlier. The information the scientists had given her to study suggested alien males were territorial and she'd forgotten, like all the other mornings, that on this planet she was male.

Seeds Of Change (provisional title) is about one civilisations use of alien seeds to re-populate their dying species. But only their females can collect the seeds and they pay a heavy price - their DNA is re-sequenced so that they can inhabit the alien planet as males and the scientists are still looking for a way to reverse the process. What happens when the female heir to the planet's throne is re-sequenced and then captured by the indigenous population, only to find herself drawn to an alien male?

Have you got any books or stories you would like to tease us with?

Have you ever felt the need to read a book no matter how harrowing the content?

18 comments:

  1. OoooohhH! Henrietta's story is nothing short of amazing. I'm a science girl and I've heard about her and the HeLa's since I cracked my first science textbook!

    And I'm loving the Seeds of Change teaser! I would so read that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just recently bought The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks and I can't wait to get started!

    Great teasers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about the Henrietta Lacks book on the Reading programme on TV. Sounds fascinating. Seeds of change sounds great too :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't heard of either of these before. Good teasers!

    Stopping by from TT. We have 3 this week--a family secret one, an Amish romance and a suspense: http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2011/03/teaser-tuesday-bird-house-wanted.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Henrietta Lacks, what a sad family story. It was one of my top ten books last year. What do you think of it?

    Here's mine:

    http://bookbelle0819.blogspot.com/2011/03/teaser-tuesdays_22.html

    Stop by if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Henrietta Lacks sounds so different and challenging. I think you're correct there. Your future WIP sounds interesting, too. Love the title.

    Me, I just got an ARC of Abandon by Meg Cabot. I think this will be a must read for any YA lover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't love Henrietta Lacks but I'm in the minority.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't read a lot of non-fiction, but I have heard a lot of good things about it.

    My teaser this week is from a short story, something I rarely read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to put Henrietta's book on my TBR pile. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I may just go and see if I can find one of Henrietta;s books in our local book shop if not I'll try Amazon.

    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have read articles about Henrietta Lacks - it truly is a very sad yet thoroughly amazing tale!!! I remember being thoroughly engrossed with Wild Swans - awful very painful read but I couldn't put it down! I don't think I can read it again though.

    Ooooh I do like your play on sexuality and gender in your book!!!! Yay! Thanks for sharing! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have like five books outlines so they keep me busy. If I have an idea I can usually find a fit within the five. Might take a bit of tweaking or hitting with a hammer, but I'll make it fit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great choices this week! You can find mine at The Bookish Snob Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks sounds like a wonderful read.

    I hope that it doesn't disappoint.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also must put Henrietta on my TBR pile that is growing by leaps and bounds. I am working on 2 non-fiction books right now and I am hoping to get through them without any more family tragedies so I can finally write fiction..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seeds of Change has an amazing premise. I hope you'll finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I havent heard much about either book. I hope that you are enjoying them. Here is my Teaser For Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your site and as I browsed your blog I decided to award you the Magical Blog Award.

    Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.

    ~Deirdra

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!