Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Tuesday Teaser (2): Ender's Game & The Vegas Screamer

Today's book teaser is from a classic science fiction story that won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards.


Title: Ender's Game
Author: Orson Scott Card

"Because we've taken some terrible risks, Ender, and we don't want to have every net on earth second-guessing those decisions. You see, as soon as we had a working ansible, we tucked it into our best starships and launched them to attack the buggers home systems."

I first read Ender's Game over 20 years ago and decided that now was the time to re-visit it. Today Scott Card is as well known for his writing advice books as his novels, but if you've not read his fiction before, start with this book - it will not disappoint.


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB of Should be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

  • Grab your current read.
  • Open to a random page.
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page.BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! Make sure that what you share doesn't give too much away! You don't want to ruin the book for others.
  • Share the title and author too so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers.




Today's WIP teaser is from The Vegas Screamer, a short story I've just had published in the Serial Killers Anthology by Static Movement. I throught I'd give you er . . .a taste.

They passed a partially burnt road sign that suggested Sam’s Diner was the place to eat. A phrase came into Sol’s mind – you kill um, we cook em. He dismissed it fast; there would be plenty of time for killing later.




That is it for this week's Teaser Tuesday. Are there any books or stories you want to tease us with?

17 comments:

  1. I knew the moment I saw it that it was the one I wanted. When I made my selection, the woman at the clothing distribution center smiled after she punched the number--seventy-three--into the computer.

    From MATCHED by Ally Condie. (I loved it, btw)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the teaser from your story - yum!! LOL!!

    Ooooh Ender's Game - nice one!!!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've made me want to read both of these now! Very good teases, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just downloaded Ender's Game onto my phone last night. I've never read it before. I'm still in the confused "What the..." stage because of the thingamabob that's been hooked to the back of his neck. I'm excited to continue though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Ender's Game!! I've read it a few times. Have you read Speaker for the Dead? I like it slightly more than Ender's Game, but it's almost a completely different novels. Starring Ender, of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first one sounds very interesting! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gwen knew she had no choice but to follow. That brief cold glimpse had showed her deepest dread.

    ~ from O.R. Melling's "The Hunter's Moon". (enjoying it so far!)

    Congrats on the publication of your short story - that's a great teaser! And I have Ender's Game... still need to read it though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a book by Card out from the library right now--Pathfinder. I'm looking forward to reading it!

    Great teasers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your WIP teaser. It's charged with antici...pation

    ReplyDelete
  10. Breathing seemed infinitely more fine and more momentous than anything that could possibly be going on around him, but after a while the novelty wore off and he began to wake up and to take stock of his situation.

    Just one sentence since it's a compound.

    The Confusion
    Volume Two of the Baroque Cycle
    Neal Stephenson

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Ender's Game about 20 years ago as well. LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great teaser. It's so witty. I love this kind of tone.
    Nahno ∗ McLein

    ReplyDelete
  13. Intriguing...and pretty darn creepy. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this is where I saw Serial Killers. I love love love that concept.

    I read Ender's Game a couple years ago. I was a little disappointed by the end - I won't spoil it. It was a rather interesting story.

    One of those that had me shaking my head and wondering why I can't come up with something like this to write.

    I'm reading about 6 books right now. I read a few pages, put it down, do something else, pick up another. I used to be an avid reader and I keep trying to get back into it.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have heard a lot about Ender's Game. Plan to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!