Monday, 7 March 2011

The Week Ahead: A to Z Challenge, Sh*t My Dad Says, and A Unique Bestseller


In April I will be taking part in the A to Z Blogging Challenge, where participants will be posting 26 times in one month. I've read quite a lot of advice as to how to prepare and take part in this challenge, and this week I'm going into full preparation mode.

I've already brainstormed my 26 blog post topics, and will be writing and scheduling as many of them as possible during March. This should allow me more time to visit the other participants. But the best piece of advice I've read, and would like to pass on, is this: keep your posts short.

There is no way that you will be able to get round every blogger and every post; it is a mathematical impossibility. I've already calculated you'd need 25 hours to visit 300 participants in one day. You are only going to be able to visit a few at a time, but we can all help make it more by keeping the length of each post short. I will be brutally honest, if I visit a blog and the post is paragraph after paragraph of text I'll probably hit the backspace button. I simply won't have the time to read it.

Do you agree with me or do you think I am being unfair?


Now for two unrelated items that you might find interesting:

1. The pilot episode of William Shatner's new series, Sh*t My Dad Says, airs this week in the UK (22.30 on Channel 5, Tuesday 8th March). What interested me about this, other than Shatner, was that the series is based on a Twitter feed. I still haven't got a Twitter account, but I'm beginning to appreciate the power of Twitter to attract readers.

2. Have you heard of the literary phenomenon that is What Every Man Thinks About Apart From Sex by Sheridan Simove? What is amazing about this book is that apart from the front and back cover it contains 200 blank pages. Yes. You read it correctly. Totally blank. And yesterday it was ranked the 87th bestseller at Amazon.co.uk. If you want to be amused, read the reviews; they are hilarious.

That is it for this week's The Week Ahead. Have a great week.

21 comments:

  1. On the best of days if a post is too long I'll skip it. So I don't think you're being unfair. At all.

    SERIOUSLY? Someone actually has a book published and it's number 87 and it's just a bunch of blank pages??????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree with keep it short and have been planning my A-Z posts. I have 3 composed so far.
    Yes I heard of that book on Breakfast news. Not sure what I think really, seems a waste of money for anyone to buy but then I guess men could always use it as a journal ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree! I just skip past long posts all the time even now. I just don't have the time to read them! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ellie = On the book: that's hilarious. And, well...an earned jab, I suppose, eh? On the A-Z: I'm participating for the first time. May I write about anything on every day, or must I stick to the alphabet on each day? Is it really just about a daily post about anything at all, not incorporating A for the 1st, B for the 2nd, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I do mine in poetry mode I can assure you mine won't be long,

    It was great fun last year and hope this year will be just as fun,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You A-Zers are like planning combat maneouvres (see Capn Alex J Cavanaugh and lovely KarenG's posts)!!!! LOL!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!! So long as y'all have a great time!!!!!

    I must remember the show on Five. I have to admit that where I live my telly can't get channels itv, four and five. It can get all the shopping channels though!! LOL!! I rely heavily on watching tv programmes on my poor pc. I have no idea why I am telling you this - cept that I'm so excited for this show!!!! yay!!

    That book is just crazy. Oh but I love the audacity of it!!!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa - yes. It is mind-boggling that someone might buy it, though I guess it would make a great present!

    Lisa Ricard Claro - As far as I'm aware, you start with the letter A and then work through the letters of the alphabet. You don't post on Sundays, though. So, April 1st is A, 2nd is B, 4th is C. Of course you can still post on Sundays, just don't make them related to a letter. Your posts can be about anything, but must relate in some way to the letter of the day. For example, you might post about nanofiction for the letter N or about sex for the letter S. Okay maybe not sex. LOL. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ellie, thanks for passing by, the Song is "I Watch The Sunrise" sung by Daniel O Donnell.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Re that book - sounds like the one Evelyn Waugh gave the Duchess of Devonshire with a note saying: 'There is not a word in here that will offend you'!

    I've followed Shit My Dad Says on Twitter for a while - it's brilliant - philosophical/ funny/ straight-talking. eg: "You came out of your mom looking like shit. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment." Didn't know it was being filmed - with The Shatt! Brilliant!

    Oh and yeah, don't read long posts unless they are gripping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree about long posts. I have a format already in mind for April. They will be very brief.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're not being unfair - I don't read long posts either.
    And blank pages - very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Short is the way to go. You're totally right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with the challenge. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Especially for X ...

    And, yes, short posts are good. I try, I really try, to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A blank book - sounds good! It gives the imagination free rein ;-)
    A to Z blogging challenge sounds interesting. I suppose I just might manage if I start NOW:-)
    I agree with you that keeping posts short is the best and fairest way to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Short and to the point. Seems like the way to go with this Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did keep up w/that feed for a little while--although somehow I was getting it on FB... ??? Maybe I'm misremembering. Anyway, it was freakin hilarious, although should it be a book? Hmmm... no, but that's just IMO. Now, Shatner can do anything he wants as far as I'm concerned. He's a riot~ :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for A-Z!

    And oh, that blank book made me SNORT!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is some good advice! Good luck with the AZ Challenge!! I hope you like that show. The hubs and I got some good laughs out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bought "Sh*t My Dad Says" for my husband for Xmas. The whole family read it. It is hilarious. The author started out on twitter and then wrote on a blog. He writes for the TV show now. Let's hope that happens to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  20. "Sh*t My Dad Says" has been airing here in Canada for some time now, and it is hilarious. If you like that kind of humour, then you are in for a treat. I don't think I could ever see William Shatner the same way again.

    As for long posts, the comments here made me look guiltily at my own blog where I've inflicted some over-length posts recently. Bad Botanist :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Ellie .. too true - keep it short .. they will be .. and yes a few of the many other participants a day .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!