Monday, 14 March 2011

The Week Ahead: Tragedy, Google Reader, and Delusional Doom Blogfest

Until Friday, I believed I was having the worst week ever. Then the tragic events in Japan put everything into perspective. So I'd lost time and money fixing a problem, but had I lost my home, my life, or someone close to me? No.

I'm sure no one reading this post won't have already spared a few moments of thought for the people whose lives have been touched by power of the planet we live on; we have all been reminded of how small and insignificant we are. But, equally, we have been reminded of the courage, compassion, and ability of human beings to pull together in such times of crisis and sorrow. We are a resilient race, and my thoughts are with all the people of Japan at this time.

Now on to . . .


The Week Ahead

I started last week with the intention of pre-writing as many of my April A to Z posts as possible and that didn't happen. So, I will try again this week. I shall also be spending some time on Google Reader.

If you heard someone far off yelling "Nooooooo!" yesterday, well that was me when I opened up my Google Reader and found I had 457 un-read posts. Yes. I did blink my eyes and refresh the page several times to see if I was hallucinating. This week I shall be taking some advice I was given and dividing the blogs I follow into themed folders, so that I can break my blog reading up into more manageable chunks.

On Tuesday I will be taking part in The Delusional Doom Blogfest, which, as its title suggests, is a cheerful and light-hearted look at doom. Okay. Maybe not. Visit Hart Johnson's blog to see if the blogfest appeals to you.

That is it for this weeks The Week Ahead, but I'll leave you with this rather prophetic quote:

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." James Dean.

What quotes has the recent tragedy brought to your mind?

19 comments:

  1. Hope you get some A to Z done this week, I have the last four to do today then it's all ready for April. I can't think of any qoutes off hand. but I'm sure others will.

    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quote by James Dean is epic!

    Good luck getting all the posts for april done.

    And breaking up your blogposts sounds like a really good idea! Yikes. That's a lot to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, the A to Z...I haven't started yet. I'm nervous, not really sure what to blog about. I need to figure it out soon. And yes, my thoughts and prayers are with those in Japan, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The earth has been busy lately with these devastating earthquakes (Haiti, New Zealand, now Japan). It's rather disconcerting. My thoughts go out to all those affected. Watching the footage, I just can't fathom what they have gone through...

    I've been picking away at A to Z and I'm about half done. Fortunately there's still plenty of time!

    Definitely re-organize your blogs into folders. I've done this (though I'll need to do a reorganization soon) and it helps. I was unplugged all weekend and when I returned, my Google Reader was overflowing with hundreds of posts. It helped to work through one folder at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't think of a quote right now, but your post says what I felt - putting things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't beat that fab quote from Jimmy Dean!!!

    Good luck with your google reading reader!! Take care now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mark all as read every Sunday night. I have to. I used to just let them all pile up because I didn't want to miss anyone's posts! But I had to be realistic, I can't get to them all and it was making me think of blog reading as a chore and it shouldn't be that ever.

    I have started my April posts. They are going to be as short as possible. I have a variety of catergories. The will be something for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's how I handle the blogs I follow in Google Reader - I have them divided into different folders.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try to take it easy, we know on the google reader it can become overwhelming when you are completely backed up! I have to tell myself to let go and start again at times!

    I think I need to take Alex's approach and figure out this folder system he speaks off!

    I look forward to the upcoming blogfest entry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sort of outlined my A-Z challenged, but am planning to pants my way through.

    I feel so sorry for people in Japan, everything seems to be going wrong.

    Keeping them in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's a lot of mail. I hope you got through it all. And I understand sticking to a rotating schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I often scream at my computer when it tells me I have over a couple hundred unread things...yikes! See you for DOOOOOOM tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good idea, organizing all those posts! Sometimes I just have to skip a few and try not to worry about it. Good luck with prewriting your a-z challenge. Definitely the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. it's true. They really do build fast-it can be overwhelming. Nothing but understanding over here~ ((hugs)) :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think most bloggers understand that it's impossible to reach everyone, everyday. I am attempting to refold my folders...sigh!

    The Japanese seem so dignified in their devastation. I've never seen anything like this earthquake.

    That's a fabulous quote from James Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's ironic how tragedy puts everything into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been thinking a lot about my co-worker's cousin who lives in Japan and praying that he and his family are fine. Whenever tragedy strikes like this I always think of Ryunosuke Satoro's "Individually, we are one drop. Together we are an ocean." We will all help Japan recover whether through action or prayer.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!