Monday, 4 April 2011

Can Characters Create Creators? (A to Z = C)



"About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Ellie was a writer. Second, there was part of her - and I didn't know how dominant that part might be - that thirsted for my words. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with her."



Myron's now famous quote, given during his interview in Science Fiction Characters, 4021 AD. What was left out of the interview was the controversial assertion that without him Dreaming of Sleep would never have been written.

When I quizzed him on this matter, shortly before his latest attempt to return to the 21st Century, he was surprisingly forthcoming.

"I never intended to write my author but it came to me during my one and only illegal sleep period. In the dream I was standing in a library - the type that had actual books and not virtual displays - and she was there with me, glistening with a a hundred-thousand words. When I woke up, I knew that I had to write her story, and so Ellie's life was brought into existence. The first volume, Words, was a runaway success. The second, Editor, did not fare so well. I just couldn't hand over creative control to 91billion people; it didn't sit right with my 21st Century brain. But of course the third volume, Published, has already seen pre-orders of over three billion."

Whatever your thoughts on how the Words Trilogy came into existence, this is going to be one time-traveller who will be sorely missed should he ever find a way back to the 21st Century.

*

For those of you who have read Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series, you'll know I took a few liberties with a passage from Twilight and gave it to Myron for his quote. My apologies to Stephanie Meyer - the passage was too good to not imitate in some way.

Don't forget to enter my 300 Followers Competition.

38 comments:

  1. Characters, always trying to take all the credit.
    nice idea,
    Mood

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Ellie characters do take the credit , for instance James Bond, no-one I suppose realises he was invented by Ian Flemming.

    Have a nice day.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Twilight parody. Great C post. Very creative :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a grand post, it is. (Sorry, I'm visiting Ireland at the moment and couldn't help myself).

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting idea. Sometimes I am given to the thought of realitys boundries. If you have read Sophies World by Jostein Gaarder than you know what I mean. What is real and what is fiction?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way you approached this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOLs...my characters often try to create me too :). Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Ellie!! You are a creation of some fabulously lost time travelling illegal sleeper! And you so glisten with a million words too!!!

    I'm so glad you are made tangible!!! Yay!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. i met with the captain who did not have a boat... though surrounded by water.
    jeremy [iZombie]

    explanation:
    http://izombielover.blogspot.com/2011/04/c-is-for-comments-and-crazy-charlie.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll try again:

    I have resigned myself to the slavery which my characters demand from me. It's a dark, symbiotic relationship, for sure.

    A Piece of My Mind

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an original response to the A-Z challenge:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this mind-bendy idea! How fabulous to think one of your characters invented you... almost gives you the freedom to do whatever you want, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Characters are always trying to steal the limelight. But I'm nice to them anyway. Of course, I can always kill them off so they don't push the envelope too far with me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, what you did with that twilight quote. I think it's even better than Stephenie Meyer's version.

    Isn't it funny that it's considered an example of beautiful writing when it's all in passive voice?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this! Passive schmassive... I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Given that you find little pieces of yourself each time you write, and that often they're traits or values or beliefs you hadn't given much thought before they appeared on a page, I'd say your post is right on the mark.

    Nicely done.

    Joe
    Dead Reckoning

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved this and I really enjoyed reading all the comments aftewards... they had me giggling...

    Characters taking all the credit... still laughing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am jealous that no one from the future has come to interview me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks for the comment Ellie - wow Exmouth; used to work down that way. am definitely following. David

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved this. What a great post! I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Interesting anecdote and analysis! Characters quite alliteratively, always take all the credit! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes indeed they can. I liked the quote, and the monologue that followed. Words, Editors and Published, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the twist on the Twilight quote. :D

    Great C post!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post! :) I definitely think that characters can take control sometimes. When I was writing my novel, I used to have 'Roxy moments' all the time. Thanks for the follow! :) Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great parody of Twilight Ellie. Great post, very clever you.

    Thanks for visiting Columbia with me.

    Denise<3

    L'Aussies Travel Blog A - Z Challenge Posts

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cool post! It is one of the best feelings in the world when your characters decide to lead you rather than the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Brilliant take on this! Enjoyed this post.
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great take on "C" posts!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I wonder what the result would be if one of my characters could re-invent me.

    ReplyDelete
  31. hehe clever. Characters have that way about them that want to take control.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Clever, indeed. I like how you manipulated Meyer's quote. It made me giggle. :)

    Rosie
    East for Green Eyes

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the character and quote manipulation! Thanks for sharing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  34. like this one! - of course the characters create the creator it makes logical sense - in a 'do Martians milk mankind for their power source' kind of way -philosophers might debate this endlessly but we writers know the truth!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!