Tuesday, 12 April 2011

Just After Sunset & Johnny Walker Eyes (A to Z = J)

Today's Tuesday Book Teaser comes from the master of horror.

Title: Just After Sunset
Author: Stephen King

'He's very friendly,' Drogan said. 'At first. Nice friendly pussy has killed three people in this household. That leaves only me. I am old, I am sick . . .but I prefer to die in my own time.'

I can't believe this collection of short stories has been sat on my bookshelf for so long and I haven't read it. I'm correcting that mistake this week.


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB of Should be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

  • Grab your current read.
  • Open to a random page.
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! Make sure that what you share doesn't give too much away! You don't want to ruin the book for others.
  • Share the title and author too so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers.

Today's WIP teaser comes from a short story I wrote in early 2010 and have twice submitted to competitions. I've grown rather attached to Johnny Walker Eyes and decided to do a re-write before submitting it again.

“Mam. Is this seat taken?” was the first thing you said to me. You delivered that line with a southern drawl that left me speechless, just like the name of the song playing that night. When I turned to see who had spoken that line – smooth, soft, and yet so strong - your eyes captivated me; sunset with a hint of sweet amber nectar, yet dangerous like a double shot of Southern Comfort.

“No,” was all I managed to reply, but inside my heart was drumming the same message against my chest, over and over – Yes. Yes. Yes.

Are there any books or stories you want to tease us with?

Don't forget to enter part two of my 300 Followers Competition.

20 comments:

  1. Stephen King is my absolute favourite. Its because I accidently picked up one of his books when I was 13, got completely and utterly grossed out(not knowing books could be so fun) and have been addicted to all things Stephen King since. I am the fan who camps out all night, jumps up and down like a clown and buys the book the minute its released. Hehee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen King is one of these writers whom people overlook sometimes. I have not read this one either, but I will now for sure. Have you ever read Alisa Sheckley? Her book The Better To Hold You is one intriguing werewolf tale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like thw aound of the Stephen King short stories, must look that one out.

    Your teaser is brill. It makes me want to read on. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't do much reading but this book sounds quite a book.Enjoyed the post.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is another side to Roald Dahl, author of Willie Wonka and the chocolate factory.Tales of the Unexpected is a collection of sixteen superb short stories, all of them very different, but sharing one thing in common - the unexpected ending. Here is from one of the short stories:

    The Landlady
    The room is very cheap and Billy Weaver is more than happy with it, even if his new landlady does seem a little eccentric. But no one ever really knows what goes on behind closed doors, does one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Johnny Walker Eyes teaser!! Oh my!!!! It's making me discard my vodka and reach for my whiskey! Yay!!!! The power of words!!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellie, I love your story clip from "Johnny Walker Eyes." Wow! What a smooth collection of words. I'm impressed.

    Stephen King is one of my faves. I don't always like the stories, but I'm never disappointed by the writing.

    Pop over to my blog when you have a minute. There is an award waiting for you there today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to read Stephen's short stories, too. I've read a few in the past, but now that I write for children I don't get to the adult material very often. He has amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow. I love that scene. I'm so behind on my King books, I must remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your teasers got me excited about the books I will have to look them up. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ellie..your teaser is great, makes me want to read more. I think I am just loving all your short stories and flash fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ellie, I haven't even heard of that Stephen King book. I'll watch for it, as he is one of my favorites of all time.

    Your story really grabs my attention and I would love to read the whole thing!

    Have a terrific Tuesday,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't realize King had a collection of shorts besides Night Shift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. fantastic teasers. Love the description of the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds great Ellie. Great teaser. Oh, those eyes.

    Denise<3

    L'Aussies Travel A-Z Challenge - J is for Japan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I heard this collection of short stories is darker than his others. Can't imagine it being any MORE dark, but we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man! Ellie! What a teaser. Those eyes. SWEET!

    Dark is good. I can't wait. Stephen King is the master of our craft.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OOoooo, two great teasers!!! And I read about Tales of the Unexpected in the comments section. I think I need a week off so I can just unplug and read!

    And thanks for the opportunity at the giveaway, :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the teaser; Stephen King's cousin was my Math Teacher. I have it on my blog...somewhere?!
    Percy King is his name. Dark is good....Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!