Monday, 25 April 2011

Now Starring Blogfest - Casting The Devil's Song


Today I'm taking part in Lindz Pagel's Now Starring Blogfest, where you get to cast your WIP characters and imagine they are starring in the best movie adaption ever. What could be more fun than casting a movie of your book?

Here are the blogfest rules:
  1. Choose 4-6 of your lead characters.
  2. Let us know a little bit about what each of your characters looks like.
  3. Then, pick any actor or actress, they’re all at your disposal.
  4. Finally, apart from their appearance, what about this particular performer makes you think they’ll do your baby justice. What’s that special something that makes them perfect for the part? Their attitude? The way the walk? Their voice? Let us know.
To sign up and/or visit the other participants click here.

Here is my entry:

The Devil's Song (certificate 18)

Thirty years ago author Morwenna Maddox (Tilda Swinton, Constantine) thought she had ended serial killer Lucian King's (Viggo Mortensen, A History of Violence) reign of power. She failed.

Now Lucian King will force Kristi Black (Natalie Portman, The Black Swan) to write him a new story and he'll eliminate anyone who stands in his way. Can Kristi stop his new reign of terror before the morning chorus - before The Devil's Song?

Before I start talking about the casting of my characters, I should say that the novel is told in first person via three of the characters. Two of them are Kristi and Warwick Black. I can not reveal who the third person is at this stage without giving away too much of the plot.


Natalie Portman as Kristi Black

Kristi is an American who has moved to the UK with her English husband, Warwick Black. She has raven black hair, dark penetrating eyes, and an expressive face. Natalie Portman would be perfect for the part as she will be able to cover the range of emotions my lead protagonist experiences - from joy to sheer terror.


Paul Bettany as Warwick Black

Warwick appears to be the perfect husband, but life is never that simple or straightforward. I need an English actor for this part. I also need an actor who will bring a quiet confidence to the role. He is a man of action, but not the in-your-face type. But he is also someone you believe could turn darker at any time. Paul Bettany is Warwick Black.


Tilda Swinton as Morwenna Maddox

Morwenna Maddox is a deceased bestselling Welsh author. She was reclusive, guarded, and a little haunted - Tilda Swinton's quirky style would suit the part perfectly.


Viggo Mortensen as Lucian King

Lucian King is a serial killer. He is pure evil and very powerful. I've always wanted to see Mortensen play someone evil and unhinged, so I've cast him in the part.





Anthony Hopkins as Griffin Thomas

Welsh historian Griffin Thomas was Morwenna Maddox's lover and thirty years later he still lives close to the place of her death. He is obsessed with her and how she died. Who could be more perfect to play an obsessional 80 year old Welsh historian than Anthony Hopkins?



Ewan McGregor as The Policeman

The Policeman (I haven't decided on his name yet) brings some lighter moments to the novel and the reader will be left wondering whether he is good or bad for some time before the answer is revealed. I think McGregor would play the role to perfection because you won't be able to guess the outcome.



So, there are my choices. Ask me again when I've finished writing The Devil's Song and I may have re-cast the parts. But for the moment the process of writing my blogfest entry has been very helpful in making them seem more concrete in my mind. Thank you, Lindz.

What did you think of my choices? Have you tried something like this with your WIP? How helpful was it?

20 comments:

  1. Those are awesome choices, Ellie! An all star cast! And it sounds like a cool story too! Mine will be posted tomorrow. This was so much fun, wasn't it?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Excellent Cast!
    A.) I am so intrigued by your story
    B.) I agree, Viggo NEEDS to be an antagonist
    Thank you so much for participating, Ellie! Check my blog on Wednesday for the announcement of the winners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You chose a talented cast, and the story sounds engrossing. I'm looking forward to reading it one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your choices! I had to do that once for CassaStar, but it was tough. Still don't think I ever hit upon the right actors.
    Good stuff, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good looking cast!!! Quirky and ever so dark characters, twisted and creepy story!! I sort of see Lars Von Tier directing this too!

    Yay! take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good choices there Ellie. Good luck with the blogfest.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cast! I'd go see it. But maybe you could also find a role for Cate Blanchett... =]

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's quite an ensemble! I was kind of iffy about my choices at first, but then when I looked at everyone together I thought, Wow, that's perfect! Funny how that happens, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely choices! This blogfest was such a great idea because it was helpful to put a face with some of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is really cool. That looks like a lot of fun and you have done a fantastic job with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Intriguing story. I love Viggo has a serial killer!! and Anthony Hopkins, yeah, I'd watch the moview for him alone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great reasons behind your selections, and such a diverse cast. Awesome ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh god! I love you cast! (might need to fight you for Natalie though lol) I'm super into the idea of your story as well! Thanks for taking part in my blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my stars and garters, this might be the most awesomest cast in the entire universe! Natalie Portman? Wonderful (love that short hair on her), Ewan McGregor? I'm drooling here. Paul Bettany!!!! Love him.

    Great casting!

    Marie at the Cheetah

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore Natalie Portman. Your cast is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing cast! I can see Natalie and Paul together as a married couple. If you want to see Viggo in a dark character watch A Perfect Murder, he stars alongside Gwyneth Paltrow and Michael Douglas, it's a dark movie and might bring you some added inspiration! I'll be queuing up to read your book once you're finished! xoxo Karina

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!! This is amazing!!

    Please don't mind me pointing out that there is a small typo "raven black hair" is spelt as "raven black her"!! Just checkout!!

    with warm regards
    CatchyTips for Writers

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool Cast! I like the way you explained why you chose them, but I'd have loved this post for the headshots alone, lol. Where on earth did you find those? They're great!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!