Saturday, 23 April 2011

Trapped in Dreaming of Sleep (A to Z = T)

Before I start talking about my T post, I wanted to let everyone know because it's Easter the last few days have been manic at work. I've got another nine hour shift to get through today and I already feel exhausted. I am way behind on my blog reading and responding to comments, and I have a big family gathering on Sunday. If you have commented and I've not yet returned the favour, I promise I will do so as soon as I get the chance. 

Now on to Trapped in Dreaming of Sleep.


When I added the mock cover of my science fiction WIP, Dreaming of Sleep, to my blog, a few people asked me if the image of the hand pressing against the underneath of what looks like a computer screen was a representation of the novel's theme. It took me some time to find an image I was happy with but the image does portray one of the central themes of the novel - feeling trapped.

My protagonist, Myron, is trapped 2000 years into the future. He is a time traveller from the 21st Century who has no way back; at least that is what he has been told. Later we will find out there is always a chance of escape, it just might not be what he considers escape to be.

But when we join his story he is not just trapped physically, he is trapped emotionally. The 41st Century is a very different world to the one he knows - people do not interact in the way we do now - and he is tired of the constant battle between fitting in and not giving up on who he once was. Add to this a crippling medical condition caused by the virtual inter-connectivity of a 41st Century world, and he feels like he is literally being suffocated. He believes breaking the law will bring him his only method of release, death.

I'm not going to discuss how or if he escapes, and what role the beautiful and mysterious Talia plays, as that would be giving too much away at the moment. But watch this space.

What are the central themes of your novel? Is your protagonist trapped in some way?

Don't forget to enter part two of my 300 Followers Competition.

17 comments:

  1. Wonderful Ellie, most enjoyable to read.

    Have a wonderful Easter.
    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful. How exhausting for Myron. Imagining the future so far ahead must be a really mind-stretching exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ellie!! Poor Myron!!! How could you do this to him!?!?!? But no happy endings please!! LOL!! This is like I Am Legend - he's alone, survives but then the ending - oh my stars!!! Cruel but apt!!

    Anyway, I am rambling!! Please take care with this 9 hour shift!! Enjoy your Easter - I hope you have Sunday and Monday off at least!!! Rest, recuperate and torture Myron some more!! :-)

    HAPPY EASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think characters who are trapped resonate with all of us because we've all felt that way at some point in life...no way back, no way out, can't go forward or backward. It's a striking cover, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And as a matter of fact, my protagonist is physically trapped -- with ten other people -- throughout the second half of my book. But my true theme is probably more along the lines of "idiocy."

    But enough about my nonsense. Your idea is very intriguing, especially with the multiple layers of trappedness. I wish you the best with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, my mc in WIP #1 is trapped by a couple of different things.

    Great post -- and for the heads up on your book. I love SciFi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your novel sounds like it will be a gread read!
    Yes, my MC is trapped in a different Realm for part of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds exciting ... and the dust cover is amazing. My central theme: is mankind ready to steward a breakthrough that would change life as we know it for the betterment of mankind, or will greed and corruption push civilization to the edge of destruction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really impressed and in awe of both your book cover and synopsis. I love them both :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this glimpse into your novel! We all feel trapped at some time, one way or another. So I think you've picked a topic that will resonate with a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dreaming of Sleep sounds like a fascinating story! And I love the cover you made for it.

    Both of by main characters in my novel are trapped in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooo... sounds awesome. And yep, my MC is trapped--by her lack of education, by fear, by lack of wherewithall... it's great to have your MC get out of a trapped situation.

    Happy Easter & best, Ellie! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a lovely weekend, busy though it is for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the cover of your book and the story sounds cool too. My protogonist is trapped by circumstances and lies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS Hope you have a Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your novel sounds like it will be great. I like the trapped theme. Always creates that sense of tension in the reader. I love your image and did wonder about it when I saw it on your blog. It is stunning, really, and obviously encapsulates your theme beautifully.

    Denise<3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a great story, can't wait to read it. Good luck with everything. Also, I like the book cover. It looks very modern, science fiction looking. I'm not sure how the name fits the story you just described. I would like to know more. But I guess I'll have to wait to read about it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!