Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Tuesday Teaser (11): The Female Man & Dining In Hell

Today's Tuesday Teaser is from the Science Fiction Masterworks series I'm working my way through, and was written in 1975.


Title: The Female Man
Author: Joanna Russ

I turned into a man.
I had been a man before, but only briefly and in a crowd.

What intrigues me about this book is that it deals with gender and parallel worlds; one society with an alternate history to our own, the other where there is only one sex - the female man. My WIP Cosmic Seed also deals with the blurring of genders, so The Female Man will be an interesting read.


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB of Should be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Open to a random page.
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! Make sure that what you share doesn't give too much away! You don't want to ruin the book for others.
  • Share the title and author too so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers.

Today's WIP Teaser is from Dining In Hell, which at 8850 words is the longest short story I've written.

“Now look here, Ruskie. I don’t know and don’t care why you and these . . .these people are here and why none of them are eating and why there’s a sign advertising the end of the world, but what I do want is some answers to some of my questions. Where is your underground bunker and how do you get us in there?” Hank waved the gun around in front of Oleg’s face and, as an afterthought, remembered to release the safety. This was not going to end well.

Dining In Hell is part of Wicked East Press's A Wicked Bag of Horror Tales Anthology and was published last week. The way the anthology came together was unusual. Each writer was asked to submit a horror story prompt and was then given someone else's prompt. The prompt I was given was, 'The run-down diner on a lost highway holds the horror within.' The final twist was that you had to write yourself into the story. The MC in my story is called Ellie and is English. Although she is quite different to me, I'd like to think I would have her survival instincts if I was ever faced with the horrors she experienced. 

Do you have any books or stories you'd like to tease us with?

20 comments:

  1. Hmm, the Female Man does sound interesting. I wonder what sparked the idea off in the author's mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two very different books, and the Female Man one intrigues me. Sounds so different and interesting.

    Here's mine:
    http://tfwalsh.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting Ellie,
    Have a good day.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good teasers for both these--enough for me to know I wouldn't want to read either one.

    Stopping by from TT. Here's ours:
    http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2011/05/tuesday-teasers-unplanned.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of the teasers sound good.

    I liked the sound of your WIP

    ReplyDelete
  6. These both sound intriguing...thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY TT POST

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Female Man sounds intriguing. I've just taken my almost 2yr old cat to the vet for his 4th lot of stitches!! :Oo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard of The Female Man until I recently heard that the author had passed away.

    Here's my teaser for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations with your long short story publication - and what a bizarre and fun process too!!! Amazing!! I love that Ellie is running fighting off horrors in a parallel writerly world!!

    The Female Man sounds ever so yummy!! Thank you! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm incorporating a similar concept in a WIP. The possibiltiies are endless. They key is to get the reader to like both universes. If they don't like one of them, then its just not going to work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this! I need to write it down so I remember to participate. I should add it to my calendar =) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Currently I'm not reading anything- but I have a big pile of books I hope to start in the next couple of days. Great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm...not sure about The Female Man. I'd have to read a bit more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the sound of 'The Female Man'...I will no doubt look for that! And I'm much intrigued by the sound of your story...haven't done one that long myself, but am very fond of prompts to get the brain rolling. I'll come back and visit again...:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Female Man has an intriguing concept; and I love parallel worlds.

    Great teasers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. heeh Dining In Hell sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the publication! So there IS hope for those longer stories...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool! Thanks for the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing; congrats on being in this unique publication, it sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!