Tuesday, 24 May 2011

Tuesday Teaser (12): A Wrinkle In Time & Babel-17

As I missed Tuesday Teaser last week, I'm giving you two teasers today. The first is from the book I read last week:

Title: A Wrinkle In Time
Author: Madeleine L'Engle

'They are very young. And on their Earth, as they call it, they never communicate with other planets. They revolve about all alone in space.'

'Oh,' the thin beast said. 'Aren't they lonely?'


A Wrinkle In Time is a science fiction fantasy book and the winner of several awards. What I admired about the author was the way she created such distinct voices for the characters. The other thing to note is that the book is full of adverbs - something we are advised to avoid in our writing - yet someone how it works; the adverbs do not distract from the brilliance of the story.


The second teaser is from this week's read:

Title: Babel-17
Author: Samuel R. Delany

'It isn't a language of the Alliance. I want to find out who speaks this language - because I want to find out who, or what, in the Universe thinks that way.'

Babel-17 was the 1966 Nebula Award winner (Delany won again in '67 with The Einstein Intersection) and from only reading a few pages, I can see why. This is a science fiction book about language, and how the use and context of words shape our understanding of the world, or, as in this case, the Universe.


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB of Should be Reading.

Do you have any books or stories you'd like to tease us with?

17 comments:

  1. Now the first one I'd be interested in reading. I like the sound of the second, but am not sure that it might be too technical rather than story lead? :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fab teasers!!! I want to read these books now - thank you for the intro!!!

    I was going to be very naughty and give you a random quote in one of my work manuals as I'm at work and reading one at the moment! Then I thought "tea time!" LOL!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I've never read A Wrinkle in Time... I'm going back and reading classic books that I missed over the years. I'll definitely have to add this to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Wrinkle in Time is one of my all-time favorite books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great teasers. Two more books to add to 'To Read" my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i cant read that fast! i am in the midst of three books with not much time to read them! thanks for sharing yours.

    ps - i love the comments you leave me! thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard about A Wrinkle in Time from several people. I'm going to have to put in on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Wrinkle in Time endures as one of my all time favorite books. Great teasers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read A Wrinkle in Time. Agree with your view on it. I am keen to read Babel- 17. Will add it to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two more to add to the growing pile of books to be read . . . thank you, Ellie . . . I think;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Madeline L'Engle. I love A Wrinkle in Time and all the sequels. Another one to read by Madeline is A Ring of Endless Light. Great stories and characters that stick with you long after you read the last page.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The second one really got my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, I recently read Abandoned but Meg Cabot. Um, yeah...Death is yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read either, but they both sound interesting. Good teasers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read A Wrinkle In Time yonks ago. I did enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore A Wrinkle in Time! Babel sounds really intriguing too.

    I'm currently reading Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare ...

    "She crumpled in an alley, hearing the hissing scream of something behind her. She knew it was following her, and she was hoping to die before it reached her --"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hubs LOVES WIT. I should read it... I think we have a copy around here somewhere. The other is such a fascinating premise. What an unusual basis for a SF book. Or maybe not~ :o) <3

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!