Monday, 6 June 2011

It's All Fun & Games Blogfest


"Two blogfests in one day?", I hear you say. Resistance is futile when it comes to the mighty Alex J. Cavanaugh. The date is June 6th. The place is Bloggerland. The blogfest is It's All Fun & Games. Here's how to take part:

List your three most favourite games and why. Board games, card games, RPG, video games, physical games, drinking games - even mind games! If it's a game you enjoy playing, it's worth sharing.

Drinking games, eh? Mind games? Muhahaha. Here are my top three games:

Fizz Buzz

I'm sure most of you have played a version of this drinking game during
your younger years - it has been many, many years since I played Fizz Buzz, but what joyful memories of friendship and hangovers it brings back.

The object of the game is for a group of friends (four or more is better) to count from one onwards, going around the group. Except for the number three and multiples of three, you must say fizz. For the number five and multiples of five, you must say buzz. Anyone who says the number, and not fizz or buzz, must have a drink.

For example group members should count out the following: one, two, fizz, four, buzz, fizz, seven, eight, fizz, buzz. Seems easy enough, doesn't it? It's not. The more answers you get wrong, the more drinks you have, and the harder it gets to say the right answer. Eventually you have to give up.


The Café Game

Given that I'm a writer, and therefore listen avidly to other people's conversations, you might think it's a bit hypercritical when I say nothing annoys me more than people listening in on mine. I'm like that sometimes. Anyway, Mr. G and I devised The Café Game to stop people ear-wigging, which works something like this:

You notice two old ladies are listening in on your private conversation and Café Game rules insist you must make them leave without asking them to. So you ask Mr. G how his rash is these days. Mr. G states that it is as virulent and contagious as ever. "In fact", he say, whilst pointing at his tea cup, "if the café staff did not ensure his cup was thoroughly cleaned there was a risk of another customer catching the virus." The two old ladies, looking suitably alarmed, leave. Game successfully completed.

As you can imagine, there is plenty of scope for other versions of this game - Bar Stool Game, Front Of The Queue Game, and Swimming Lane To Yourself Game are quite handy.


Horace Goes Skiing

Who remembers the Commodore 64 and Horace Goes Skiing? I thought it was the best thing ever. Little Horace, barely a few pixels in size, trying to cross a busy road and navigate a ski course. To a teenager growing up in the non-computing era, it was amazing. Even better, if you got hold of the right manual, you could programme your own games. It usually took several hours and rarely worked, but how clever you thought you were when it did.

So those are my three favourite games. I hope you won't be too alarmed by the second. I'll leave you with my friend Horace and some witty commentary.



Don't forget to visit the other participants.

47 comments:

  1. Great choices! I've played two of those myself ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only played Fizz Buzz with children - I was a teacher, after all.
    The Cafe Game sounds fun and most effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol I like the idea of Cafe Game (and its various versions). It's so diabolical.

    I remember the old school skiing games. Simpler times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like being the old lady who listens in on conversations in cafes!! :-)

    I lost track with Fizz Buzz. I'd just say, buy me beer now or the old lady gets it.

    LOL!!!!

    take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm liking the Cafe Game. LOL Great choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those old video games are so funny now. I remember my brother and I playing Pong for hours. And 'joyful memories of hangovers' gave me a chuckle this morning.
    Thanks for participating in the blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun post. Actually, Posts! Wow, two in one day. Great goals for your writing, and great games. You're really doing improv at the cafe, or wherever, with the made-up dialog. Sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never played fizz buzz. I know, I'm boring...
    The Cafe game sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of any of these games but they sure sound fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha! Love your cafe game! I never saw the Horace game but I can see how it'd be addicting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have STUNNED ME. I had NO IDEA that there was a drinking game I didn't know. I thought I'd played them all! (and you have cracked me up with your cafe game *snort*)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous games! Adore the cafe game :-)

    I have a variation of it for ridding yourself of those annoying people who home in you on holiday. Bring the conversation around to occupations and tell them you're a go-go dancer. The wife will whisk them both away V fast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the cafe game, might have to give that one a try

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, Fizz Bizz. Never played that one in the states. By "give up" I assume you mean "pass out" hehe. I do hope Mr. G's rash clears up real soon...and before he infects too many others. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good thing my mouth wasn't full when I read about the Cafe Game because it make me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would lose Fizz Buzz so fast! OMG. I forgot all about that lil ski guy!!! Oh man. That was a good game. Awesome choices!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know, I think I might've played some variant of that Horace skiing game back in the day. It seems vaguely familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love love love your Cafe Game! What a brilliant idea! I'll have to try it out one of these days! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh I love the Horace clip!! So funny to see those old games now. :D
    Love the Cafe Game as well, great idea. I've never heard of Fizz Buzz, I can't believe it! LOL.

    Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL, can't say I've ever played any of these, but the Cafe Game sounds like a lot of fun. The Horace clip brings back memories of other first generation games that I did play on the Atari. Pong, Pac Man, Donkey Kong.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Ellie, you are so fun! I am leaving soon and my daughter and I are going to give The Cafe Game a go! I'll let you know...lol I haven't heard about Fizz Buzz, but it sounds fun~ :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Too funny! Great choices ~ :) Quarters was the big drinking game way back when, for me. And the cafe game! I'm not sure I could keep a straight face, but it'd be fun to try. Love your list - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never heard of those. The last one reminds me of the Atari games. All pixels!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i would fail spectacularly at fizz buzz. I could probably get past 5 (buzz) but then after that, i'd be flat drunk

    ReplyDelete
  25. Never heard of these. The cafe game sounds cool. :) I'm a new follower. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  26. None of these games are familiar to me. Thanks for sharing them. =D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi,

    Fun games, and yeah, I had a wicked male friend once upon a time who could get rid of a queue in a cinema in no time at all. He used to whisper (loud) his cobra had escaped from it's box, that he hadn't had time to go home with it first, what in hell was he to do? ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOL! The Cafe Game. I'll have to remember that one.

    Fun list! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the sound of the cafe game... off to tell Himself immediately :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Never heard of any of these. That Horace game is kind of funny, but seems like it would get old after a while compared to the video games available now.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE the Cafe Game - we're going to have to institute that one - or variations thereof! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I haven't heard of any of these but I have friends who play beer pong :P The Cafe Games sounds great, so I'm gonna steal it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I don't know any of these, thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So glad I joined this blog fest - your post had me in stitches. I think I'd be fizzing fast and I so want to go to a cafe today! Great to be connected.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I got a good laugh from reading your description of the cafe game. That sounds like fun.

    I used to have a Commodore 64. I used to love playing the Olympic games on it along with pitfall and this train set like game.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I really love that cafe game! Too many times people listen in and it is rather disturbing. Of course, what do you do about conversations that take over? Mr,/Ms. Loud Mouth yammering on about their business and don't stop. They're not always interesting ideas for books. LOL

    And do I remember drinking games. I have a few of my own like Down the River. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ha ha ha! I love your funny games you listed!
    I'll have to try the Fizz one one day with a group of friends!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ha ha, I loved all three games! I hate to say it, but that drinking game seemed waaaay to complicated for my beer drinking crowd ;)

    ReplyDelete
  39. In my younger years I would have loved Fizz Buzz! I'm afraid this old body is not happy when I fizz or buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I thought I knew most drinking games by the time I graduated college, but I've never heard of Fizz Buzz before. I think I'd find it a challenge even without the drinking part.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Horace Goes Skiing ... the Frogger clone. Good one, though. Kind of like how the Hungry Horace game cloned Pacman.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I remember playing Fizz Buzz on an eventful evening with friends in Denmark. I'd forgotten its name, though.

    I must be getting old because I'd also forgotten Horace, but I did play it. :-)

    Never tried the cafe game, but it sounds like great vicious fun. I don't think I could play it with any of my friends, though. They're simply too evil.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I have definitely played Fizz Buzz, but I definitely don't remember playing Fizz Buzz.

    Dave
    Dave Wrote This

    ReplyDelete
  44. ohmygoodness that fizz buzz sounds SO HARD!!!
    and i LOVE your cafe game! someone needs to pull that on my eaves dropping hubby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Those are the most fun sounding games I have come across so far!! I love the Cafe Game I so wish I had known about it before. I will now however play it the first chance I get. I would so lose at the fizz game. I can barely count let alone by 3's and 5's. Sorry for the late reply but the bloggy gods decided I needed a bit of a bloggy break even if I didn't want one.

    ReplyDelete
  46. those are awesome!
    we will have to try fizz buzz in our neighborhood gatherings this summer =)
    happy belated gameblogfest!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!