Monday, 6 June 2011

Second Summer in the City Blogfest

If you are looking for the It's All Fun & Games Blogfest, please see the blog post immediately before this one.


I haven't moved to a big city and there's no Central Park where I live, but when I read this on Bess Weatherby's blog, 'All I knew was that I needed a job, I wanted to write, and New York seemed like the place to go,' and her plans to celebrate her one-year anniversary in New York, I knew I wanted to share some of her passion and take part in the Second Summer in the City Blogfest. Plus, I might not have a large park but I do have a two-mile stretch of beach to spend my summer on. 

The rules for the blogfest are:
  • Sign up
  • Follow her blog
  • On June 6, post two things: what your current WIP looks like and what your writing goals are for the summer

Sounds like a fun way to set some achievable writing goals, doesn't it?

My current WIP

At 73,259 words, I am 81% through writing the first draft of my science fiction NaNoWriMo novel, Dreaming of Sleep. This is my first attempt at writing a novel, and I've made plenty of mistakes along the way and learnt an incredible amount.

I know now that whilst I cannot 'pants' may way through a novel, with no real idea of the plot, too much plotting stifles my creative juices. Writing for me is an organic process - chapter by chapter, scene by scene, the characters themselves telling the story, and it would be unwise to ignore them. Writing Dreaming of Sleep has almost felt like it had two identities - the limitless free version I should be writing and it's awkward pre-plotted sister.

When I reach the 90,000 word limit, Dreaming of Sleep will be temporarily shelved. I'm not giving up on it; I've decided to focus my attention on the novel I feel most passionate about and wish to see published first, Cosmic Seed. I'm also hoping the lessons I've learnt from Dreaming of Sleep will help make it a better novel.


My writing goals for the summer

As my regular readers will know, from the 4th September I will be on a 12-week break from work to write the first book in my Cosmic Seed Trilogy. I do not intend to start writing it before then, rather I am going to use the next 12 weeks to prepare myself for my work break. I'd also like to enjoy the summer weather (safely), when work commitments don't prevent me from visiting the beach and the beautiful Devon countryside.

My writing goals are:
  • Complete the first draft of Dreaming of Sleep.
  • Create a collage for Cosmic Seed, include a mock cover, back cover blurb, and tagline.
  • Start a file for all ideas relating to Cosmic seed - characters, world building, scenes, and so on. 
  • Complete or re-write all outstanding short stories, and submit them to appropriate markets.
  • Continue with my Write 1 Sub 1 monthly challenge.

So, those are my summer writing goals. I hope you enjoyed reading them and I'm looking forward to reading yours. Don't forget to visit the other participants.

28 comments:

  1. You sound very organised, Ellie. I hope you have a lovely summer and that the ideas continue to proliferate at the back of your mind. One writer I know uses his iphone to note ideas as they come into his head. He's also a story-boarder so his study has post-it notes in different colours for different things - jokes, vocabulary, characters. It's interesting spending time with him - his brain is never quiet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are making great progress with Dreaming of Sleep, and have some good solid goals to work on. I think if you stick to your schedule and really make use of that long break, you're going to be very pleased come the end of the year. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like great gaols to aim for in the hopefully hazy sunny days of summer ahead!!!

    Good luck with Dreaming of Sleep and Cosmic Seed!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your goals! We're at the same place WIP word wise (is that even a word???) Best wishes for Cosmic Seed! Still a very cool dust cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great goals! Hey, the name of your WIP is the same as my blog post today! Great minds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome goals and I look forward to reading your novels! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Goodness! Fantastic! Your ambition is breathtaking and I will use it as MY goal and try to emulate it.
    Right now, I can't make up my mind whether I want coffee or tea for my mid-morning beverage :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great goals Ellie! It nice having plans for writing, and being organized. It definitely makes the whole writing process less stressful! Love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your plans and goals are carefully thought out. The sea will provide calm inspiration, whatever Devon weather decides! Go Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sound like you are really on top of things. If this is what you're getting done while still working, I can only imagine that your twelve-week break is going to be incredible for your writing! I'm the same way with the whole writing/outline thing. It's throwing me off to have a real outline this time around. It's like the book and the characters keep taking me on these side roads and I can't help but follow. Too curious!

    Enjoy the Devon beach. It seems to be a very inspiring place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on having such an organized outlook! I wish I did! Good luck getting through your goals for the summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you're in for a productive summer! Good luck with the goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love NaNo and I find I learn so much from whatever I produce during that time. Did you know they're doing a summer version? Yep, Camp NaNo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, reminded yet again that I should try to submit those two short stories I've had rolling around my desktop for a few years! Love the write 1 sub 1 challenge idea. I hope has you progress through your summer goals, that you post a few beach pictures along the way! I plan to take some time off this summer for writing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Writing is best when the writer is surrounded by nature--mountains, ocean, or maybe desert (I don't know about that one--lived in the Mojave for 7 years). Successful writing wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're more clever than I doing both blogfests. I had bumped into this one after committing to Alex's. All success on meeting your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very organized and well prepared. It sounds like you'll have no trouble meeting your goals. I hope it's a great summer for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how incredibly detailed you are. It's nothing short of impressive. I appreciate all those who take the time to plot their way through the entire writing process and also those who just wing it. It's so neat to see everyone's technique, it's never short of amazing.

    I'm at 46K of a 90K word novel I'm working on. I know I'll go over on word count and it's the first time I've ever said that. I'm a natural underwriter but for once I allowed myself to live a little, plot it out and deciding to stop pansting it's improved my word count. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Ellie. Came over for Fun and Games but this is so interesting. I was pleased to hear of your progress on your WIP. It is a steep learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck with all your wonderful goals! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have faith you'll achieve your summer goals. And so shall I -- as long as streaming Netflix crap doesn't get in the way...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great idea to prepare for your work break as you plan to do. Whenever I read your post I get all excited about writing a novel. Sheesh! I should try writing a crappy short story and get it out of my system.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great goals, Ellie! I think you'll get the first draft of Dreaming of Sleep done no problems. And have fun planning Cosmic Seed! I'm a pantser by nature but I want to try and do a bit more planning for the next story I've started.

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooh sounds so close to completion. I am in awe. I don't know how you could stop when you are in the flow of that story. What a satisfying boost it would be to writing your next project to know the first is in the finished first draft stage. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very ambitious goals. Good! As a guest character in Star Trek: TNG said to Wesley, "You will never meet a greater challenge than your own potential," or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good luck with your goals!! Sounds like you've got some fun stuff going on :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great goals! You know, as a former pantster I can attest that plotting becomes easier the more you write. It will only take a few novels to break into the fine art. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!