Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Tuesday Teaser (14): The Guns Of Mars by Martin T. Ingham

Today's Tuesday Teaser comes from a science fiction writer I met during this year's A to Z Challenge.

Title: The Guns Of Mars
Author: Martin T. Ingham

"When the time is right, the Martian colonies are going to declare their Independence from their Earth governments. Those of us on Villas Colony, and our counterparts here at Eridania, shall forge the basis of a new utopia," she said with rapture.

"How will you get our people on board? Teleport all thirty thousand colonists?"




I had several reasons for choosing this book: I was thrilled to find Martin Ingham, another science fiction writer and kindred spirit if you like. I'd also seen The Guns Of Mars whilst submitting short stories to various Pill Hill Press anthologies, and was planning to read a few of their novels to see if the standard was as high as for their anthologies. It seemed logical therefore to read Martin's book first.

I started reading it last night and I couldn't put it down - I'm already a third of the way through. I don't usually spend more than hour or two reading at a time, so for me to be this far into a book in just one sitting says a tremendous amount about how much I am enjoying it. The Guns Of Mars is the kind of sci-fi novel I want to write and see published, and I highly recommend it to all science fiction fans.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB of Should be Reading.

Do you have any books or stories you'd like to tease us with?

17 comments:

  1. Isn't that always a good feeling, when you start a book and can not put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopping by to say Hi! *waves*
    Following you... would love if you could follow back :)

    Awesome teaser!

    Here's our Teaser

    by Era Penera @ We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, just saw your first draft is 81% done...impressive! The end is in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love when I can get into a book easily and move quickly. Such a great feeling. Nice teaser.

    Here's MY TT POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. The Guns of Mars sounds cool. I like the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh you must be enjoying it if you're so far through it already! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have found a way to comment but having to do it as anonymous ......its Rach the maysthenia kid!

    Haven't started my new read yet. You are doing so well on your first draft.

    Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know Martin from the ABNA contest. He's a good guy - glad you enjoyed the book and thanks for the teaser.
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good read. Loved the "Martian Chronicles" when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh I want to read this too now! I love the teaser - who was the killjoy who riposted that stirring speech?!?! Excellent!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I have looked in on your site before but have never commented. Sounds an interesting book, and in answer to Old kitty's question, it must have been Rhett Butler :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Years ago I read Asimov and Star Trek novels. Worlds apart, but I enjoyed them both. Maybe I will give this one a try. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ellie, thanks for using The Guns of Mars as a Tuesday Teaser. I love that you're enjoying it so much. My primary motivation with any writing endeavor is to create something that people will find entertaining.

    I look forward to the day you get one of your books published, so I can have a similar reading experience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice teaser. I read 4-5 books at the same time, so I wouldn't know which book to choose for a teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it when a story grips you like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a good tease from a genre I don't read very often....I may well check it out!

    I recently read Stella Rimington's 'At Risk' - a thriller, which I had to gallop through. It's a wonderful feeling, even though dinner and chores have to be delayed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks good, I really must read it. Thanks for the recommendation. I must say, though, the cover art looks like something out of the 1950's.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!