Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Tuesday Teaser (15): Eye In The Sky by Philip K. Dick

Today's Tuesday Teaser comes from a master of the science fiction genre.

Title: Eye In The Sky
Author: Philip K. Dick

Tiny sun, tiny stars, the great obese blob of an Earth, swollen and bloated, occupying dead center. That was true here - that was the way this universe was run.

This is only the second Philip K. Dick book I've read, after being a little disappointed by Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? To be fair I think my disappointment in the first book was due to seeing Bladerunner numerous times, and the film being somewhat different from the novel.

A work friend has been suggesting I read as many of Dick's books as possible, and given that I ignored his suggestion to read Jasper Fforde's Tuesday Next series for a long time, and then kicked myself for having not listened to him earlier, I decided I ought follow his advice. I found Eye in the Sky in a bargain bookshop and it seemed like a great place to start. I'm three chapters in and finding it an infinitely better read.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB of Should be Reading.

Do you have any books you'd like to tease us with?

22 comments:

  1. Ellie...sometimes when we don't listen to people's suggestions regarding books we do miss out on good books. And there is nothing better than word of mouth recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of his books are a bit odd and trippy, with a strong sense of paranoia and a belief that aliens are sending us messages (that's how he believed he got most of his ideas). None of the films are anything like his stories. i'd say the only comparable writer was Vonnegut. Their nothing alike but they both had a completely unique approach that worked for them.

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Electric Sheep - because it was so not BladeRunner!! LOL!!!

    Lovely teaser here!!! Thank you Ellie!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tasty little teaser - I can't keep up with all the books I've seen recommended on blogs. There should be more hours in the day;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Electric Sheep first - then hated the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have the image of electronic sheep in my head all day now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, but now I have that old Alan Parsons Project song stuck in my head...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have attempted P K Dick's books several times in the past but did not really get on with them. Maybe thirty years later I should try again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Er... no? I just finished Ann Best's memoir and it's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard a lot about Philip K. Dick, but haven't read them. I love sci fi, though, so I should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The teasers shows an intriguing style..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm reading, On the Outside Looking Indian, by Rupinder Gill. It is a memoir of a girl whose parents came from Pakistan and what it was like growing up in the U.S. yet having to live in an Indian culture at home. Rupinder, at thirty, decides to change her life and do all the things she missed out on as a child. This book has touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I rarely listen to peoples opinions if they are negative. I like to find out for myself. It's funny that when the opinions are positive I trust them enough to pay attention. Funny things opinions!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always love a line on a book I haven't read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks good! I still have yet to play The Cafe; looks like tomorrow may be the day~ Son is off from work, daughter doesn't have any plans till evening. I will let you know...lol ;D

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't you love finding a great book at a bargain price. It just makes it that much better.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haven't heard of this book yet.. I'm curious. Might look it up and read up on it more.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've not ever been able to get into his books.
    I did love Bladerunner though :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anthony Newley? Surely not. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX4tOsQnZTQ

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought maybe you'd found another version..
    The link is to my favourite. (swoon!)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!