Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Tuesday Teaser (16): The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Apologies to anyone looking for the Favourite Book Challenge Blogfest. As I'm still not feeling one hundred per cent, I am no longer taking part.

Today's Tuesday Teaser comes from a book recommended to me by Madeleine at Scribble and Edit. Actually, she put it in my hand and made me buy it. I'm glad she did, though.

Title: The Knife of Never Letting Go
Author: Patrick Ness

Ben says there used to be other settlements scattered around New World, that all the ships landed about the same time, ten years or so before I was born, but that when the war started with the spacks, when the spacks released the germs and all the other settlements were wiped out, that Prentisstown was nearly wiped out, too, that it only survived cuz of Mayor Prentiss's army skills and that even tho Mayor Prentiss is a nightmare coming and going, we at least owe him that, that cuz of him we survive alone on a whole big empty womanless world that ain't got nothing good to say for itself, in a town of 146 men that dies a little more with every day that passes. Cuz men can't take it, can they?

The first thing to say about this book is that there are a lot of long sentences at the beginning. The second is that it features a talking dog. So when I first started reading it yesterday, I was not at all sure I'd like it. Now I'm 162 pages in and don't want to put it down. I need to know more about this strange world, the 13-year old main character Todd, and even his talking dog, Manchee. If you're near a book store, find a copy and read the first few sentences - you'll be hooked.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB of Should be Reading.

Do you have any books you'd like to tease us with?

16 comments:

  1. I hope there's a happy outcome - it doesn't sound very promising for mankind otherwise;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ir appears to be a good book to read but as the above comment says hope there's a happy ending.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talking dogs?!?!?!?! I WANT!! Yay!!!!!

    Awww Ellie, please take care and rest and get better!!!!

    Hugs! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. I'm not sure this is my cup of tea but you do have my interest so it looks like I'll need to check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of the talking dog, Manchee. The book title is very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ellie .. get better soon - or feel better (or both!) .. not sure I quite like the idea of this book .. but you're obviously drawn in .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, you read so much! i wish i had more time to finish one of the three i'm in (they are good, but sooooo long!) and i have more i want to start. do you think thats multi tasking or ADD?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book is fantastic, but be warned: it's the first of a trilogy, and you will want to have The Ask and The Answer with you when you finish book 1. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The teaser sounds interesting, but I don't know about the talking dog.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out -- Five Favorite Books

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished book two in the series. And as much as I enjoyed book one (with the exception of one particular passage), book two surpasses it, especially in regard to themes and character complexity. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. get well, quickslike!

    just started 'the name of the wind' by a chap unknown to me, patrick rothfuss, and i'm hooked, only 15 pages in... seems to be part of a series, second is called, 'the wise man's fear'.

    my latest 'twisted tuesdays' short is also up...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of my favorite YAs. absolutely stunning prose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haven't read this one yet - it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That has to be the longest sentence in the world... haha it was awesome though. Great teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOL when I read that I 'put it in your hand and made you buy it'.
    Oops was I really so awfully pushy? (Blushing)
    Glad you love it though. I hadn't noticed the long sentences. I always notice the short ones more. Interesting! :O)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!