Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Tuesday Teaser (19): The Ask And The Answer by Patrick Ness

Today's Tuesday Teaser is the second of the Chaos Walking Trilogy, and winner of the 2009 Costa Children's Book Award.

Title: The Ask And The Answer
Author: Patrick Ness

There's so many of 'em, so many long white faces looking back at me, their eyes too big, their mouths too small and toothy and high on their faces, their ears looking nothing like a man's.

But you can still see a man's face in there, can't you?

I cannot recommend this trilogy more highly. The central characters of Todd and Viola are engaging, and the use of first person POV perfectly handled. When I first started reading book one, The Knife Of Never Letting Go, I wasn't at all sure I liked Ness's style. However his use of both short and long sentences really works, building and maintaining tension from the beginning to end of each book. But be warned - this is dark fiction, and features violence throughout. I also suggest you have all three books in the series at hand - you will want to read them all. This is YA science fiction at it's best.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB of Should be Reading.

Do you have any books or stories you'd like to tease us with?

15 comments:

  1. Sounds really a good book. I have a few proglems bookwise at the moment but as soon as it is sorted will certainly have a look.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellie - not too keen on dark violence .. but certainly your recommendation makes me want to venture out. Particularly your comment on his use of short and long sentences - they do hold our attention ...

    Thanks for the introduction .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a team bonding (bleagh) quiz here at work and one of the answers to the questions was Patrick Ness!!! So yay!! I've heard of him now and I will endevour to get his books cos he stood up for libraries!! Yay!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These teasers really work, now I want to know what is going on there! Thanks for sharing, this trilogy is going to my wishlist, woohoo! I'm a new follower now!

    This is my Teaser Tuesday.

    And BTW, I have two international Giveaways going on right now so feel free to pass by and enter :D

    Alaiel

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first sentence literally had me. I could not contain myself. I'm already hopping over to find this book! EEK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have become a new fan of the dark books. And I love this title, so will surely buy it from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I am not good at jargon - YA Science Fiction? 'I' in Russian, 'yes' in German, what in English?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And some more books to add to my Books-To-Be-Read list. Sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i finally have a contribution! here are 2 lines from Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins.

    "In that one motion, I see the end of hope, the beginning of the destruction of everything I hold dear in the world. I can't guess what form my punishment will take, how wide the net will be cast, but when it is finished, there will most likely be nothing left."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the first book on my shelf, I am going to have to read it soon they sounds so good.

    My Teasers!

    Suzanne @ Under the Covers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great teaser. I have the first two books on my tbr pile they look really good.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/07/teaser-tuesday-28.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea of a Teaser Tuesday. The problem is I will never be able to read all of the great books that are being recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a good one. I just finished Mists of Blackfen Bog by Court Ellyn, and I couldn't put it down.

    "The stink of the brown waters assaulted my nose. Reeds decayed in mirror-still shallows, and the tattered carcass of a fen ray bobbed under the greedy attention of a crow. Vapors oozed from the spongy earth. After traveling the bog for three days, I had learned what happened at sunset. I tried not to think about mournful faces coalescing out of the mist..."

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!