Tuesday, 26 July 2011

Tuesday Teaser (19): The People Next Door by Christopher Ransom

Today's Tuesday Teaser comes from the horror novel I will start reading tonight.

Title: The People Next Door
Author: Christopher Ransom

For a moment, as they touched him and kissed his cheeks, he was certain that these people, while bearing every hallmark of his pairing and making, were not his real family at all, but others hiding beneath clever masks of artificial skin.

I read Ransom's first book The Birthing House in 2009, and even though I found it awkward and confusing in places, I gave him another chance when he published his second book, The Haunting of James Hastings. I really enjoyed his second book, although I had to re-read the opening several times before I had some idea of what was going on - I suspect he didn't want the reader to fully understand until the end. The problem is I'm still not sure if I did understand by the time I'd finished reading it.

At this point you're probably wondering why I'm giving him another chance. I'm not sure I really know myself. All I can say is that there is something about Ransom's books that draws me in and then hooks me with it's understated terror. I shall let you know next week whether his third novel was a dramatic improvement or another big question mark.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB of Should be Reading.

Do you have any books or stories you'd like to tease us with?


*

Changing the subject completely, here's a photograph of myself and fellow colleagues before starting Sunday's Race For Life in aid of Cancer Research. 


Being a shorty, I'm in the front row, second from the right. We had a great time, with some running and others walking double-time like myself. I did 5km in 45 minutes, not bad for my first race. More importantly, we've helped to raise a lot of money for a worthy cause. 

I'd like to dedicate this year's race to my father-in-law Tom, who lost his battle with cancer in 2005. You really were dad number two, and I miss you more than words can say. 

21 comments:

  1. Way to go on the race! We usually do the Relay for Life each year, but weren't able to this year. Cancer is a worthy cause, and close to my heart.

    I admit, this book has an intriguing hook. I look forward to hearing what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you doing the run. I lost my first wife and several friends to cancer and whilst I support cancer charities, I feel there is something wrong with our society that we have to rely on people like yourself to push research forward. All medical research should be a priority not dependent on people's good will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great that you did The Race For Life, I applaud you.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the teaser - and yay for returning to this magnetic writer - I love that!

    Yay for your Race for Life run!! I've sponsored a few people doing this and I'm in AWE at all of your amazingness for being part of this very important cause!! It's a wonderful tribute to your father in law! Yay!! take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you really are short. ;)

    Love your dedication at the end of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, Ellie:-) My eldest daughter and her two daughters did this Race for Life, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awh bless, that's a lovely tribute Ellie.

    You look fab in pink for a great cause.

    The teaser has me hooked I may have to read Christopher Ransom myslef. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you on your first race! Sory about your dad-in-law but your thought is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, you sound like me - if there's a twist, I'm likely to not catch it the first time!

    And yeah, cancer sucks. Good job with the race and the cause!
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like the title a lot. Good luck with the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done for doing the run. We saw loads of people in Hyde Park taking part - it was a great sight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great picture-

    The teaser is good makes me want to find out what is happening, and when I looked at the cover of the book it reminded my of the movie "People under the stairs"

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is great you ran in the race for cancer. Interesting how you like to read Ransom's books although they are confusing. I liked to read Isaac Asimov's books even though he would drone on and on with description or something else. I just had to know how his fantastic story ended!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful dedication to your father-in-law and congrats on getting through the race.

    I haven't read Ransom. It's interesting that he draws you back even though you haven't been satisfied by earlier reads. There's something to be said for that kind of power!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 5km in 45mins? That sounds fast to me (but then, I'm not a runner). I did one of those 'runs' and it took me about 3 hours. Hehehe. At least I finished and I enjoyed the views along the way--all for a good cause!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had problems with Christopher Ransom's book 'Birthing House'. It was a great idea, but it didn't seem to carry it through to the end. I saw his second book for sale but didn't buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the race for life photograph and such a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm reading my way through Harry Potter so nothing most have not already read. Although I am so close to sending off my book Opening to my editor, so that's exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting teaser. I'm always a fan of "body snatcher" type stories. Good job finishing that race. I would've been WAY behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll have to look at your blog on another computer. For some reason mine won't show the photo.

    You're nicer than I am. There are so many authors out there I don't usually offer a second chance. I wonder how often I miss out by being stubborn?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great idea! I am so in and I already know who I want to spread the love about too! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!