Sunday, 31 July 2011

WIP Update: First Draft Completed and CassaFire


I have finished the first draft of Dreaming of Sleep! Total word count 93,137 words. 

It seems an eternity ago when I started it for NaNoWriMo 2010. There have been major changes, not least renaming the main character several times before finally settling on Hayden Monroe. I was thinking of modelling him on this guy:


Just kidding.

It has been a challenge, but I've learnt a lot. I now know what does and does not work for me as a novelist. I know I'm neither a planster or a plotter, but a plotster,which is halfway between the two.

So what will happen to Hayden Monroe now? He and the manuscript are being put aside for a few weeks, so that I can prepare for my next project. Hopefully, when I pick up the manuscript again, it will be with a fresh outlook. No doubt scenes will need to be re-worked or cut, and I will curse at sentences that need tightening and silly grammatical errors I should have spotted. But doing the first edit is my favourite part of writing - we get to play God with our stories. How about you? Do you enjoy the first read through and edit?

Now check out the fabulous working cover art for Alex J. Cavanaugh's sequel to CassaStar, CassaFire. Isn't it spectacular? I can't wait for it's release next year. If you haven't read CassaStar, and you're a science fiction lover, why not? I know you will love it. 


See you tomorrow for the Novel Films Blogfest.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you, Ellie!
    And glad you finished. Crap, wish I could write a book over 75,000 words. Maybe the third book in the series.
    I think I know a guy that looks like Hayden...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, great news. Well done. Onwards and upwards.

    mood

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news, Ellie! I was just listening to Writing Excuses today, and got an episode on editing. It included several authors including Dan Wells, Howard Tayler, Dave Wolverton (aka David Farland), and Tracy Hickman. Dave mentioned doing a character edit where he goes one at a time making sure each character is consistent with himself/herself, facts, voice, physical stuff. I hadn't thought of that, but I'm going to do it.

    http://www.writingexcuses.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for you! That felt good, didn't it? :D
    I'm a plotster too - it's a good compromise.
    I can't wait for Alex's second book to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news about your WIP, am loooking forward to Alex's new book, the first was great......and me not being a scifi fan.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations. A milestone.
    I would like to read your recommendation but there are not enough hours in the day for reading the huge list of SF title already on my bookshelf and I am falling behind, but I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrat on finishing! Have a glass of wine and some cheese. Do a couple happy dances, too!

    As for me, I'm both, too. I write the first chapter not knowing anything or anyone most the time. Then from here I begin plotting.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwwww what's wrong with this Hayden Monroe!?!?! At least he's a snappy dresser!!!

    :-) YAYAYYAYAYAYAY for finishing your first draft!!!!! Enjoy the break from it!! Well done you!

    Huge hooorah for Cap'n Alex too!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good work Ellie! The Green Faced One is strangely attractive, I think.

    I do enjoy editing. Knowing that the bare bones of the story are down on paper means I can focus on improving (or trying to improve!) the writing and drawing out the important aspects. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yay ellie!
    and eww, creepy! is that a feature on photoshop? alienify your friends!
    ack!
    and i agree for cassafire =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY! congrats for finishing your first draft. I generally don't like the first read through because that's when I realise how much work is yet to be done hehehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ellie .. well done on finishing the first edit .. I cannot contemplate it - having never written a book .. but so pleased you're looking at the next project already ..

    I love Alex' cover for Cassa Fire .. it sure is a great design ..

    Cheers for now - have a good week .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations. I am in awe. I have put down my WIP ages ago when I was poorly and may have to read through it to remind myself before I pick it up and run with the rest if it. Looking forward to your blogfest entry today :O)

    ReplyDelete
  14. w00t! Congrats on the draft - great stuff.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!