Monday, 15 August 2011

WIP Update: A Squirrel Called Brian, Rusty Webb, & Free Kindle Content

On Wednesday evening I started re-reading Dorothea Brande's Becoming A Writer to re-invigorate my will to write before September. If you haven't read this book, and especially if you are just starting out on your writing journey, I urge you to obtain a copy. Her inspirational guide does not focus on how to write, it focusses on training both your concious and unconscious minds to work together so that you do write. It is a must read for all writers.

On Thursday morning I set the alarm half an hour early so that I could carry out her first piece of training - writing for a set period of time every morning before you do anything else. It doesn't matter what you write - in my case I'm making notes for my next WIP - as long as you do write. No excuses.

Anyway, I am sat in bed at 7am with a notebook and pen, and I hear someone shout 'Brian!' several times. As the voice did not sound human, I went to the window and peeked through the curtains. At first I thought it was an escaped parrot. Then I saw a squirrel sat on the wall. Yes. The squirrel was making a noise that sounded like Brian.

Since then I've been woken every morning with the sound of 'Brian!'. In honour of Brian the Squirrel, my morning writing sessions will forever be known as Brian; I just have to make it clear to Mr. G that Brian is a squirrel and not some man I'm hiding under the bed.


It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a squirrel in possession of a good fortune of nuts must be in want of a nutcracker.


`'You mistake me, my dear. For I am not a gentleman.'


Anyone for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Squirrels?


Changing the subject, Rusty Webb over at The Blutonian Death Egg has taken the plunge and released a novelette on Kindle. Here is the stunning cover and blurb:

In 1895, deep in the Southeastern U.S., a sleepy little town is home to one of the most violent criminal families in the country. When Thomas O’Brien witnesses the brutal murder of his best friend and the kidnapping of his beloved Mary at the hands of the O’Malley brothers he thinks things can’t possibly get any worse.

But when a mysterious stranger shows up to help, Thomas begins to suspect this man is more than he seems. This stranger pledges to help bring Mary safely back from the O’Malley brothers, no matter the cost.

Tom’s real nightmare is about to begin.
At just under 10,000 words, A Dead God’s Wrath is a Science Fiction novelette.



Pop over to his blog and follow him on his journey.

Whilst we're on the subject of Kindle, you can now get a free trial version of the Fantasy and Science Fiction magazine on your Kindle. It is not the full magazine, but you will get one story and all the articles. A full edition is available on a 14-day trial. This is the perfect opportunity to check out a market you might be considering submitting or subscribing to in the future.

So, what have you been up to during the last seven days?

20 comments:

  1. Ha! Brian the squirrel. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellie .. love your preparatory thoughts .. and Brian may just be your inspiration .. love the photos - and good luck for the rest of the week .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, if it's on Kindle nobody with any other kind of reader can use it.

    Am I the only person who is concerned about that kind of restrictive practice?

    Hello Brian. Or rather, Brian's mate, since he was calling for Brian!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to check out the links, but glad to hear you have company during early morning writing hours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Brian the Squirrel!!! What would be most amazing is if you wake lovely Ellie up with a squeal of "Khhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" LOL!!!

    Good luck to Rusty Webb and good luck with your writerly re-invigoration Ellie!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Brian the squirrel. Early moring is my time to blog, but I'll have to admit that it's also the time of day when creativity seems the best. Rusty's book sound real good. Thanks for the heads up on the magazine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of squirrels! And thanks for the advice. I haven't read the Brande but I'm tempted to now. Hmm, is it on the Kindle?

    Getting up earlier to do some morning writing is something I've often thought I should do - but I already get up stupidly early by my body-clock as is ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Brian the squirrel! Much better than the mockingbirds I have that mimic the beeps from smoke detectors with low batteries. :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pride and Prejudice and Squirrels (forget the zombies)? Hilarious.

    Okay. I have that book on my to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just adore squirrels and this post was right up my street, Loved the pics also.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank's so much for the mention Ellie, you're the best.

    MorningAJ: I agree, But since Amazon has something like 80% of the market it's hard to not cater to them. My story is available for the Nook and it's up at Goodreads. The remaining outlets will be addressed through Smashwords soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love brian the squirrel! and thanks for the free f&sci fi mag. i had a subscription as a teen. geeky from my youth =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh love the superman squirrel. And I too am a fan of Rusty's work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brian!!!

    All my squirrels are ninjas. I never see them until it's too late.

    Congrats to Rusty!

    Ref: MorningAJ
    I routinely convert Kindle books on Calibre so that I can read them on my Nook.

    But I almost always check B&N and Smashwords first to see if the same book is already there.

    Someday, these publishers will give up this ridiculous proprietary restrictions. In the meantime, there's Calibre.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see you've made a friend!
    Glad you plugged Rusty's book. Dude's an excellent writer. We just have to convince him of the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brian the squirrel. What a riot :-)

    That novelette sounds sci-fi awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Muses come in all shapes and forms. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Brian as a symbol for your writing!
    I may have to take a look at that writing book. I have been penning things for years, but still have the trouble of writing every day.
    Enjoy your exercises...with Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wishing Rusty a ton of success.

    I used to love "Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine". I even submitted a couple of stories to them back in the late 60s and got some cool rejection letters. I wasn't aware that the magazine was still around.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the squirrel Brian. I think most of us need a Brian! How wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!