Thursday, 23 February 2012

Grimm Brothers Fairy Tales and TV Series


It's not often I start watching a new television series and think, wow. Grimm is one of them. The premise behind the show is simple - the characters from fairy tales actually exist, albeit living their lives disguised as humans, and the Grimms are members of a family who can see these monsters and fight them.

The show starts with the lead character - a Grimm - not knowing his family inheritance. Throw in strange visions, a dying aunt, a trailer full of lethal weapons and ancient notebooks, and a job as a detective, and you have the ingredients for a great series. The casting is spot-on and the dialogue perfect. The show is dark and and there is violence throughout, but there are moments of humour and they work well. In fact one of my favourite characters is a lycanthrope who brings these lighter moments.


Each episode is loosely based on the characters from a fairy tale, but don't expect to watch Little Red Riding Hood or Goldilocks and the Three Bears. They are just the inspiration. However, I have to say after just two episodes I'm already thinking of buying a Grimm Brothers anthology. The series is that good.

Have you watched Grimm? If you have, what did you think of it? What was the last series that gave you a wow moment? Have you read any of the Grimm Fairy Tales? With over 200 of them, where would you recommend someone start?

22 comments:

  1. Missed it too - bother! Perhaps it's on iplayer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to watch it, but i just finished not having any... none shows i have to watch on a regular basis... i will have to check out the dvds, everyone i have talked with has had only good things to say about this. damn you... television... damn you for keep pulling me back in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember a particular favourite, but the Grimm brothers are responsible for the versions of so many fairy tales we know that they're a must read. I have a copy that I'll probably reread/dip into this year after I finish checking out my old mythology book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have very bad signals for my TV where I can only get ITV3, shopping channels, Dave and BBC 1,2 and 3 and music channels. Seriously! :-(

    LOL! OH hopefully the repeats will get picked up by Dave or something! LOL!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy this show, too. It's like you said, dark with moments of humor - and the clever takes on the fairy tales are great.

    One of my recent favorite series is the TV show "The Walking Dead," especially the first season. Love. It.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I've only missed a few episodes of this series. Love it! Great characters and nice spins on the Grimm stories. I hope this series stays around for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only made time for Fringe,Doomsday Preppers, and The Walking Dead. My schedule is soooo loaded reading books to review, finishing up the polishing of my first novel due to come out this year, and whatever other writerly things I can find to do. But Grimm sounds good. What channel is it one?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen the commercials for it, but my hubby and I only saw a little snippet of one episode. Where the psycho woman has to kill the only thing she loves--her father. We won't be watching anymore. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grimm hasn't captured me like Supernatural and Fringe have in the same time slot. I occasionally watch an episode on Hulu, but meh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I watched the first two episodes but lost track of it after that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen it, but it sounds good. Hansel and Gretal was a favorite of mine. I used to take crackers with me, go for a walk and scatter the crumbs. I guess the birds were happy about my little game!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I watched a couple of episodes but I wasn't too fussed for it. I think I pick apart too many shows and when I find gaping holes in the stories I switch off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We enjoyed "Grimm". Fear it will be out-fairy taled by all the other competitors. Hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm afraid to watch it, Ellie, because I heard it's pretty scary! And I don't like scary movies, etc.! I know...I'm weird....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic show. It's on NBC on Friday nights at 9:00. Unfortunately, that puts it up against Supernatural and Fringe. But I've watched every episode.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ellie ... I used to love the Grimm Fairy Story books .. we had them all - volumes of them .. sadly they've gone the way of all things. None of us had kids .. so that ?helped!

    I'd like to see the tv show/s one day .. and I'm sure I'll catch it somewhere ..

    Cheers - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been watching it from the beginning. The thing is, I'm drawn more to the side-kick than I am the main character.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've not heard of this but it does sound right up your street!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a good series my wife and I have enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't have TV. But if I did, I'd be tempted to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Watched all of the first episode, channel hopped throughout the second, haven't bothered after that. Sadly I couldn't disagree more with your review if I tried! Sorry - takes all sorts I suppose.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!