Monday, 13 February 2012

Origins Blogfest - How It All Began

There is no WIP Update today, as I am taking part in the Origins Blogfest hosted by the super-cool DL Hammons over at Cruising Altitude 2.0 .

For this blogfest participants were asked to do the following: On Monday, February 13th, you should post your own origin story.  Tell us all where your writing dreams began.  It could be anything from how you started making up stories as a child, or writing for the school newspaper, or even what prompted you to start a blog.  How about stories about the first time somebody took an interest in your writing, or the teacher/mentor that helped nudge you along and mold your passion, or maybe the singular moment when you first started calling yourself a writer.  It all started somewhere and we want you to tell us your own, unique, beginnings.

So, where did my passion for both reading and writing fiction begin? What is my origin story?

I've always had a vivid imagination. One of the side-effects of being in the foster-care system is that you were constantly dreaming up tales about your parents coming to retrieve you or your real parents being somebody rich and famous. You spent hours telling other children these stories and listening to theirs. I was also fortunate to be placed for a while with a foster family who believed reading and writing were key skills for a childs development. Flash cards, spelling tests, and reading activities were a daily activity. We visited the library every week. All of this meant I developed a passion for writing and reading.

But I did not even consider writing fiction until my late teens, after I read The Stand by Stephen King. It was my first King novel and after finishing it I asked myself for the first time, 'Could I write a book?'. I decided the answer was yes. Horror wasn't my chosen genre, though. It was always going to be science fiction, which I also developed a passion for with the same foster family. Every Thursday I was allowed to stay up late to watch Star Trek. Other programmes followed, such as Dr. Who, Battlestar Galactica, and Space 1999. I was and still am crazy about anything sci-fi. My very first story was about an intergalactic hooverman who cleared space debris. Yes. I know. It was bad. But I loved it.

There you have it. Now you know how my love of writing began. How about yours? What is your origin story?

32 comments:

  1. You were lucky to end up with a good foster family that encouraged you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Ellie! I remember reading THE STAND (one of my all time favorite books) and realizing that main characters CAN ACTUALLY die and their deaths can make you weep as if you really knew them. That was the power of a good story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like we grew up on the same stuff. I remember watching Doctor Who until the wee hours on Sunday night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing what influences us. I loved Battlestar Galactia as well and Star Treck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to have a foster family who put you on to reading. During the late 60s early 70s I had a job where I visited people's houses in an area of West London. (I was invited to go into their houses and it was day time, you understand.) I moved away but later came back to the same area in the late 90s, still visiting people’s homes and I was shocked to find that all the bookshelves that had been filled mostly with kid’s books in the late 60s were all filled with video cassettes in the late 90s. No one seemed to be reading books to their children any more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great origin story!
    I'm popping in from the blogfest -nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Ellie! Thanks for sharing!! Yay for the family who fanned the flames of your innate talent with reading and visits to the library!

    Khaaaaaaaaaaaan and Capt. Kirk are extremely lucky to have you in their universe!

    p.s. I LOVED LOVED LOVED Maya and Tony in Space 1999 - my sister used to make stories up about these two lovebirds in a parallel universe with Wonder Woman and her Steve!! Awwww lovely!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was a young reader, I was sure I was just like Jo in 'Little Women'. That was my first love, reading; she showed writing as another love. Haven't stopped since.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ellie, sorry it's taken me so long to get to your post today!
    I did not know you were in the foster care system.
    And you loved all the shows I dug. How could we write anything but science fiction?

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lucky that you were placed with a
    family who thought that way about reading and writing. :)

    Thanks for sharing your writing origins story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Honestly, with the amount of space junk up there these days, some sort of space Hoover would be just the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool on the hooverman. That sounds like an intriguing story.

    Science fiction called to me, too. Imaginations are great companions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also love science fiction, and though I have a sci-fi book in the works, I'm just not sure I can do it justice because I don't have the scientific knowledge it takes to write a really awesome sci-fi. I read somewhere that a lot of authors don't choose to write in their favourite genres to read.

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man an intergalactic hooverman? So awesome. That is wonderful your foster family was able to instill your love for writing and sci fi!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful story.'The Stand' is a good novel to inspire a person to want to write. I'm crazy about science fiction too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was a sad start to your storytelling, but uplifting that it had a positive side in the end. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazingly powerful origin tale! Thank you so much for sharing with us. I loved all those shows. Tom Baker is still my fave Doctor though David Tennant has taken a firm and not so distant second.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool story! I love sci-fi as well and wish that more movies would come out in the genre :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. There's always that 'first' book that lights the spark. King is most definitely inspirational! Thanks so much for sharing your origins !

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't realize you'd grown up in the foster care system. I think it's amazing you turned that into fuel for imagination and story writing. The Stand is my favorite King, too, and still plays a role in the stuff I like to write.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I could have sworn I was following your blog. Apparently not.

    ReplyDelete
  22. "I decided the answer was yes" -- write on!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow what an interesting journey you've had Ellie! It's made you into such a lovely person and a great writer. Good luck with the rest of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Ellie .. I'm sure you have lots of stories tucked away from your experiences .. and how extraordinarily lucky that your foster parents encouraged you .. and you were able to read and share ..

    Wonderful - keep on spacing it up with colourful sagas .. enjoy - and have a great week .. and lots of joy and happiness in the future .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just as some kids are lucky to fall under the influence of an exeptional teacher, you were equally blessed to come under the watchful eye of some amazing Foster Parents. Good for you! Thank you for sharing your ORIGIN with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow, very cool. It sounds like you had an awesome foster family there, and I like the cleaning up space debris! :D LOL! We all start somewhere~

    ReplyDelete
  27. I totally agree--there is something wonderful about science fiction!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have not read many sci-fi books, but I would like to read few. Do you have any suggestions for me.

    Thanks for sharing about your writing origin.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a story - a big yay for the family who encouraged you. I loved this blogfest - so interesting to hear how everyone started writing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm glad I finally got to know your origins story. I'm glad you had a foster family who loved reading. :)

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Reading these posts, it makes you realize how important one teacher or one book or series can be. They really do light the spark and inspire us. Thanks for sharing your origins story!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!