Thursday, 1 March 2012

Do you NEED books? World Book Day and Zombie Fiction Challenge

First, an apology. If I haven't replied to your comments or emails, and visited your blog recently, I am really sorry. I've been away for a few days and work has been manic. I will be catching up with everybody over the weekend.

With Alex J. Cavanaugh's sequel CassaFire being published on February 28th, and today being World Book Day, it reminded me there are several books coming out in the first half of 2012, which I must read. But it's more than that - I actually need them.

It's hard for me to put into words why I need certain books, just that they'll do more than provide a good read. They'll remind me of what I love about books and the particular author. They'll remind me of the quality of writing to which I aspire, and the publishing success that can be achieved through hard work and determination. Their very existence will be like a comfort blanket I can wrap myself in.

Do you need books in this way?

So what books am I looking forward to in the first half of 2012?


CassaFire by Alex J. Cavanaugh (science fiction at its very best).

OUT NOW







Insurgent by Veronica Roth (second in a trilogy, the first of which, Divergent, is one of the best young adult science fiction books I've read).

Published May 1st






A Million Suns by Beth Revis (sequel to Across the Universe, a stunning example of a generational ship science fiction tale).

Published April 5th






The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter (I'm a life-long fan of Pratchett but have never read Baxter. However, I've been told I need to).

Published June 21st






Whilst I'm on the subject of books, I've taken up a more unusual reading challenge - Book Chick City's Zombie Challenge 2012.

To take part you need to devour, I mean read, several zombie fiction books during 2012. Depending on how many you read, you'll achieve a level of success i.e. six books equals One Chomp, 12 books equals Two Chomps and so on. Who can resist?

I've already read Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse? and will ordering this one I discovered on facebook yesterday:




Are there any books coming out shortly you think we should be reading?

16 comments:

  1. Oh yes you definately need to read Baxter! That one goes straight on my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need books? Well my daughter and I went to Edinburgh for three days last week and returned with thirty-eight books between us ... but we also drank a lot of beer and wine ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your zombie blogfeasting - erm... festing! LOL!

    Yay for Terry Pratchett!! Can't wait!!

    Take care

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you need my book! Thanks, Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first book comes out June 5th! The Azalea Assault--Cozy Mystery (by Alyse Carlson, my pen name)

    *cough*

    So I'm not so into Zombies, but in my early morning fuzz brain a question occurred to me. Can Zombies climb? I mean... if I were being chased, is climbing a tree a good strategy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ellie .. like them all - books galore .. my reference books and then some others! Such is life - I love having the facility of having books around to look things up in .. and getting different view points and visuals ..

    I need to get an Alex book! - but Zombies - not really .. but Roland Yeomans' books I should be reading ..

    I have long lists of books to get - let alone read ..

    Cheers and hope your few days was restful .. have a good weekend .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ellie, I like the sound of all these books. Will try to get them all.
    I too have a long list of books I need to buy and read soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I need books. No question. :)

    As for zombies - check out ALLISON HEWITT IS TRAPPED by Madeleine Roux. Loved it! (The sequel, SADIE WALKER IS STRANDED was good but I liked the first one better.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's to bad life happens and we have to stop blogging for a bit :) Great books they look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great book choices! Some of those are already on my list, some of them are going on.

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pratchett and Baxter, two of my must read authors combined. A definite need to read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for posting the book trailer for My Zombie Dog! Make sure you get to my blog, because this post puts you in the running to win a Kindle! (and if you do grab the Kindle edition of My Zombie Dog, you get another entry, so make sure you get your entry in, if you haven't already).
    And I did not know about the Zombie reading challenge! Will check that out.

    Wagging Tales

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post! I'm new to the community. I would really appreciate it if you checked out my blog over at yadinbromberg.blogspot.com

    Thanks and enjoy your weekend!
    -Yadin

    ReplyDelete
  14. I looking forward to all of those - there are SO many great books coming out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've highlighted so many awesome books! I just finished reading Lynn Rush's book, Awaited. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes a good book is like a welcome meal for the mind.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!