Monday, 26 March 2012

Work-In-Progress Teaser

The gorgeous and talented Madeleine Maddocks over at Scribble and Edit tagged me last week. Here are the rules for The Lucky 7 Meme:

1. Go to page 77 of your current MS/WIP.
2. Go to line 7.
3. Copy down the next 7 sentences or paragraphs, and post them as they are written.
4. Tag 7 other authors.

Here is the seven-paragraph excerpt from my YA dystopian WIP, Next Life:

I barely have time to think before Christie starts running back towards the food centre. There is no point in trying to stop her; I may be a faster runner but what if I did catch up with her? What could I do to keep her quiet? What would I do to prevent her speaking the truth?

Jeremiah is already locked in my father's office or worse, evicted. Jack is here but how safe is he with me? How long will it take for my father to talk the town into terminating Jack because they were already most of the way there from what I'd seen and heard at first meal?

My head hurts. Questions without answers are clawing their way around my brain in search of a plan. A solution. Then it hits me; a thought so terrible it nearly winds me.

I turn to Devon, who is watching Christie disappear into the distance, and realise I must do the one thing I swore I never would - I must betray our friendship.

"You have to take Jack into the woods and hide," I say, hoping just asking will be enough to make him do it.

Devon turns towards me, his face reddened with anger, and then points in Jack's direction. "You want me to take him . . .it and hide? A Fac?"

"Yes," I say. But I already know Devon will never do it unless I make him. I can see it in his eyes. "If you don't hide him I will tell my father that it was you who caused my boundary infraction and we both know he's been looking for an excuse to evict your family from Hometown."

*
Now for the seven authors I must tag:

Jarmara Falconer
Colene Murphy
RaShelle Workman
Martin T. Ingham
Mark Murata
Michael Di Gesu
Densie Covey

As always, let me know what you think. But please remember it's only the first draft.

13 comments:

  1. Blimey!!! Poor Jack!! Hope Devon hides him!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and intriguing. Good grief. Blackmailing a friend. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely interested in the story after reading that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa- sounds really good! Evicted from town, killing, hiding - very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The intensity is thick in this scene. Really enjoyed it and felt a sense of sadness for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to know what a Fac is. Hope we get to find out soon, Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is not set in Basingstoke then....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ellie .. it's one of those snippets where we know questions shouldn't be asked - but will be, a row will ensure, delays occur .. and then what .... very interesting to see how it develops .. and I love Snafu's thought .. it's not Swindon either ..

    Cheers and have a good Spring week - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting and very intriguing scene. I love the title too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an excellent scene, very intriguing. I can see that as part of a back cover promo blurb.

    Hooray, I'm tagged! Since I just recently started a new work, and don't have a page 77 yet, I'll just have to go back to the last work I just finished for the sample.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a scene. It really grabbed me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's almost A-Z challenge time again! I wanted to stop by to say hello. Glad to see you are doing the A-Z again. I'm already following from last year. See you in April!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!