Monday, 3 September 2012

Be Inspired Blog Tag

I've been tagged by the gorgeous and talented writer, Madeleine Maddocks. The theme of the tag and the questions it asks could not be more perfect - it will give me a chance to update you on my current work-in-progress.


What is the name of your book?
Next Life (book one of The Next Life Trilogy).
Where did the idea for your book come from?

It was inspired by a piece I had published in 2013 The Aftermath (Pill Hill Press). In it, post-apocalyptic survivors must choose to enter an automated replica of their hometown, which offers a chance of survival, or to fend for themselves outside. Of course entering a hometown comes at a price, and their children will pay the greatest.

In what genre would you classify your book?

Young Adult Dystopian Fiction

If you had to pick actors to play your characters in a movie rendition who would you choose?
I’m not going to answer this one. As a reader I like to form my own image of what characters look like and I want my readers to do the same.
Give us a one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Esme Ward has lived her whole life in Hometown, a post-apocalyptic survival facility, and she wants out even if it means sacrificing her next life.
Is your book already published?
No. I’m still writing the first draft.
How long did it take you to write your book?
I started late last year, but due to unforeseen circumstances I am only now returning to it.
What other books within your genre would you compare it to? Or readers of which books would enjoy yours?
I hope it can one day be compared to Divergent by Veronica Roth, Matched by Ali Condie, The Knife Of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins.
Which authors inspired you to write this book?
Ali Condie, Bev Revis, Partick Ness, Suzanne Collins, Veronica Roth, and many other young adult authors. And of course the master himself, Stephen King.
Tell us anything that might pique our interest in your book?

Not all the characters are human.

So, there you have it. I hope some of my answers and my mock cover have piqued your interest. I have to say a special thank you to Madeleine - it was due to her placing The Knife Of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness in my hand, and insisting I buy it, that my love of young adult fiction began. Thank you, Madeleine.

17 comments:

  1. Hope you finish it soon! And I can never select actors who fit my characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize you had a published piece. OMG! Moron-moment again. I seem to be having a lot of them.

    Anyway, Sir Poops and Hair Ball will be visiting you. They would love to interview you for some nosh, of course.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and I love, love the sound of your story. What an intriguing concept. Makes me think a bit about Alduous Huxley. One of my favorite novels is his Brave New World.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sound of your story Ellie. Wow you have been busy. I'm impressed. Glad the meme was apposite for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Ellie!!!! Yay for your wip!!! Sounds fab - good luck with it!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great to me - hope the draft comes together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alex - I want to finish the first draft by Christmas, so that I start edits etc in the New Year. I have two weeks holiday in November, so might even finish it sooner.

    Shelly - I'd love to have Sir Poops and Hair Ball over!

    Melissa - thank you! I've never read Brave New World. I'll be adding it to my wishlist.

    Madeleine - it certainly was. I found it incredibly helpful as I was still being tempted by another novel idea. When I started answering the genre and book comparison questions, it definitely made me realise Next Life was by far the stronger contender. I was able to answer the questions with ease.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Old Kitty - thank you!

    Simon - I'm hoping so as well. I do have the plot worked out and have a post-it note map of all the chapters, scenes etc to help.

    Chantal - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, welcome back to blogging. Book sounds good, time to get cracking!

    regards,
    mood

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your answer to the last question! Definitely piqued my interest. :)

    And Patrick Ness is one of my favorite writers; his Chaos Walking Trilogy is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a fascinating story, Ellie. Hope to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, everyone. I'm cracking on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The book sounds fantastic, Ellie! I love your one-sentence synopsis.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Next Life sounds super, Ellie. I wish you good luck writing it. Just love your one sentence pitch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds awesome! And I love that cover! Good luck with your writing! Can't wait to hear all about it when it's done~ :o) <3

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!