Thursday, 27 September 2012

Writer Therapy, Kindle Fire, & Mock Cover Update

There is a new writing blog on the block called Writer Therapy, and I am rather liking what they have to say. If you get time, pop over and have a look. Their webisodes are both informative and funny at the same time.


They are also running some exciting competitions, and I've entered the first page of my young adult WIP into their First Page Contest. Gulp. If you want to read the first 250 words of my WIP click on the link. My entry is towards the end of the comments section.

I was going to talk about the new Kindle Fire and e-readers in general today, but Ellen Brickley has already done so and covered more or less everything I wanted to say. For me, the key issue with the new Kindle Fire is that it appears to be back-lit. This is an absolute no-no for me. As a migraine sufferer the last thing I want is more time using a back-lit screen. If this is also an issue for you, read Ellen's post or let me know how you feel about back-lit readers in the comments section below.

Finally, you may have noticed that I have removed the mock covers for my science fiction and young adult works-in-progress. I made the decision to do so after reading through all the comments for my What A Difference A Cover Makes post. After some thought, I concluded the following:

  • Making a mock cover for a WIP can both inspire and motivate a writer.
  • However, it  can lead to confusion and possible disappointment amongst readers if ultimately it is not the cover used upon publication.

For those reasons I have decided to keep the mock covers private and for inspiration only (they are printed and posted on my noticeboard). I will only do a cover reveal when it is the actual cover (here's hoping they are actually published of course).

Whilst I am talking about covers, Susan Kaye Quinn did a superb post on avoiding cover art duplicates. This is of particular importance to anyone self-publishing. Definitely worth a read.

Do you think I've made the right decision by removing my mock covers? Have you come to any major conclusions about your writing this week?

40 comments:

  1. You're right, this way no one will be confused with different covers.
    And my iPad is backlit. Never had a problem. The reader offers an option for switching to a black background, which makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The black background might work. Will have to wait until someone I know buys one and then have a look.

      Glad you agree with cover decision.

      Delete
  2. I tend to think you made the right decision. I've seen mock covers on several blogs that were later changed -- made me wonder if the story wandered as much as well. I didn't get the Kindle Fire but I did get the Nook tablet and loooove it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree about removing the mock covers.

      Delete
  3. Hi Ellie,
    Wow thanks for sharing! I do need some therapy ;D

    I am off to look at some of the links, you shared~
    Informative and fun... :D

    Thank you!
    Yes, I do think you did the write, I mean right thang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased you think I made the right decision!

      Delete
  4. I've also entered the First Page Contest. Speaking of mock covers, I remember seeing someone put Sarah Michelle Geller on her mock cover. Among other issues, that does set the reader up for disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must read your entry! Best of luck for the competition.

      Delete
  5. Oooo, good point about expectations and potential disappointment. I do find it confusing when there are different covers for hard backs, paperbacks and audiobooks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Changing covers are always confusing and on more than one occasion I have bought the same novel thinking it was a new one by a fave author when the publishers changed the cover. As far as disappointment, yes I can see that could happen, so not a bad idea hiding them. You could always try posting covers with no title and asking what kind of story it suggests.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way the different book covers refresh the brand - e.g. the Harry Potter and Terry Pratchett books!

    I liked your mockcovers!! Yay that they inspire you!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting idea. I can see your reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a Kindle Fire and I really loved it at first, but it is starting to strain my eyes too much. Also I cannot read outside at all. Personally, I'm not really interested in the features of a tablet. I don't use my Fire for anything but reading. So probably around Christmas I'm going to treat myself to one of those new Paperwhites. They look great and it sounds like the new type of lighting won't be a strain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of the Paperwhites. Intriguing.

      Delete
  10. Oh I'm sorry to hear you are a migraine sufferer. I rather like the backlit screens thus far. They don't bother me. I read a lot on my ipad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little jealous. I have to limit everything related to computers.

      We need a cure for migraines!

      Delete
  11. I think I agree with your decision about the covers - best to reveal when you can reveal the real thing. And thank you so much for sharing Susan Kaye Quinn's post. I didn't know I could search for the same image like that. Very useful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your decision is a good one. Usually the mock cover really should be for you while you write your story. I don't do mock covers. One, because I haven't got a clue how to do them, and two, read excuse one.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't heard much about the new Kindle Fire's. I like mine (the "old" version). I don't think I'd like a backlit screen. Though reading in the sunshine on my Kindle Fire now can be a pain. I wonder if that's why...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably is. I just hope they keep the original Kindles in some form.

      Delete
  14. That sucks that a backlit screen triggers migraines. Yuck.

    Yeah, maybe just share the mocks with a smaller group of trusted buddies. That's what I would do, anyways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm okay with backlit as long as I don't use it for too long. The problem is I can't be at my PC writing for a couple of hours and then use my Kindle. Guess I'll have to stick with the original version.

      Glad you agree about my mock covers. Great idea about showing trusted buddies!

      Delete
  15. I have e-ink, which I like. Maybe they can offer one with both options.

    I've done different versions of covers, as my ability to use the graphics arts program grows. Someday, when I sell enough, I'll hire out for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your covers are amazing. I would carry on doing them yourself!

      Delete
  16. I'll check out Writer Therapy. Thanks for the recommendation.

    I'm visiting to primarily to shamelessly promote The Nineties Blogfest on the blogs of everybody that took part in the Noughties Blogfest. I'd love it if you'd sign up and join us on the 15th of October to talk about your favourites from the decade.

    Dave
    Dave Wrote This

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can shamelessly promote all you like. Blogfests are fun!

      Delete
  17. Great post. I can understand about the mock covers. I checked out the new blog- I like it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the super tip, off to have a read now there.

    I'm sticking with my old Kindle at least for now, I used to have bad migraines and I'd hate for them to come back....eikks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you used to suffer too. Not at nice.

      Delete
  19. Will check out that new blog, thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those duplicate covers are pretty funny. Whenever I release my previously published stories via KDP, I always modify the cover graphics to keep them from looking like carbon copies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is the secret, Milo. Even if you use an image used before you can alter it enough to make the cover unique.

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!