Monday, 22 October 2012

Laura Eno's The Awakening & Writer Therapy Blog Hop

Please read on for my Writer Therapy Blog Hop entry.

Today is special. It's the release day for Laura Eno's Young Adult Dark Fantasy - Wish, The Awakening.


Isn't the cover stunning? 

Here's the blurb: 

Most residents of Pine Hill shy away from seventeen-year-old Lelah without knowing why. It's the Djinn magic surging through her blood. She lives in a world where wishes are really curses, dark power meant to twist and deceive in unimaginable ways.

When a fit of temper exposes Lelah for what she really is, she must flee to a sanctuary only whispered about, before her family is exposed and enslaved by their ancient enemy. What she discovers is a treacherous path filled with power, lies, and betrayal – a path that's destined to ensnare her and destroy a civilization.

If you have time, do visit Laura's blog and help her celebrate. In the mean time, you can purchase her book at the following sites.


About the Author

Laura Eno lives in Florida with a very tolerant husband, three skulking cats and two absurdly happy dogs. After spending years immersed in college but never figuring out what she wanted to be when she grew up, she now writes novels late at night with the help of muses from the underworld. And, no, she still hasn't grown up but that's okay

 *

Now for the Writer Therapy Blog Hop. 

 

This is their first blog hop and there are some awesome prizes - two random participants can choose from a 1st chapter critique, query critique, or book.




To participate, I must write a post about what I use as my writer therapy (pinterest, chocolate, a TV show, book etc) and how it helps me.

I was tempted to say Star Trek. I've been a lifelong fan and regularly re-watch episodes. Then I was going to say chocolate cream eclairs. Eclairs and Star Trek. Perfect. But truthfully, it is not a particular TV show, object, or item of food. My true writer therapy is spending time with a great friend or like-minded person. Someone whose positivity and passion for life leaves you feeling like nothing can not be achieved. Someone who motivates you to succeed, not necessarily by telling you to, but just by being there. They remind you about the good things in life. They make you see that you can do whatever you set your mind on. And, hopefully, you return the favour.

So, that is my writer therapy. What is yours?

Finally, as NaNoWriMo is only 11 days away, I am taking a brief blogging holiday to free up more time to pre-write blog posts and sort other urgent tasks. I will still be lurking around the blogosphere but my next post will not be until October 31st.  

Happy Writing.

56 comments:

  1. I like your source of therapy.
    Excited for Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Laura and all things ST and Eclairs! LOL!

    Awww have good break, Ellie and all the best for your Nano preparation! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for featuring Wish!
    NaNo is coming...eek! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Laura! Writer therapy? Ummm . . . I like the idea of eclairs:-)
    As for NaNoWriMo - I'm not sure I'll attempt it this year with a new grandchild due in November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on the coming grandchild!

      Delete
  5. My therapies are reading, playing video games, and knitting, along with reading manga and watching anime. Sometimes even Korean drama shows help. And if all else fails, I sleep. Sleeps good, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleep is always good therapy, Ae. Especially if you dream.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like the perfect therapy for writing. Writing is so solitary--but we need relationships in our lives for balance.
    Good luck with NaNo. I won't be doing it since I'm finishing a couple other projects. I'm in the Writer Therapy Blog Hop, too. Nice meeting you and your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. One of the bonuses of taking part in these blog hops is making new friends.

      Delete
  7. The cover of the book looks terrific!

    Friends are a great resource in keeping me sane as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing like a great friend to inspire you. We should all be sure to tell our really good friends 'thank you' for being there and for being inspiring forces for us. They may not even know how much they mean to us.

    I have wonderful friends and they do inspire me, but my other writer therapies are movies and music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Kelley. Friendship is not something we should take for granted.

      Delete
  9. Good luck to Laura. Love the cover. My bloghop post is is, Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been a star trek fan since I was like 3. I thought Captain Picard was attractive - I was such a weird child. And I discovered it on my own, because my parents weren't scifi fans. lol! But I love how your therapy is good friends. That is so true for me, too. I don't know what I'd do without my awesome crit group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's the only bald man I have found attractive. And the voice as well. Glad you love Star Trek as well.

      Delete
    2. Picard makes bald sexy. Skinner, from The X-Files *almost* but not quite lives up to the sexiness. If Picard and Skinner were in a Bald Man's Thunderdome, Picard would win hands down.

      Delete
    3. I agree. Picard is superior!

      Delete
  11. ooo Star Trek, that's a good one, as is chocolate. But I think you are right, nothing beats a good friend at the right time :)

    Good luck with Nano!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We grew up watching Star Trek! First it was my dad watching the original then it was me and the whole family watching TNG. Great stuff.

    Spending time with a good friend is awesome. I hadn't thought about doing that as writing therapy, but it's certainly true! That's half the reason I love my critique group so much, we're all friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I was the only Trekkie in my house. But I'm grateful my parents let me stay up on school nights to watch the original series during the 70s and then got Sky just so I could watch TNG!

      Delete
  13. Yay Laura and cool therapy. I enjoy listening or reading other people's struggles and all the hard work that went into their success. That keeps me going... and fan mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Mary. Though no fan mail yet. One day, I hope.

      Delete
  14. Great post. Positive reinforcement is critical, as is honest criticism. That's why when Loving Wife screws her lips into a twist at something I wrote, I love her because she isn't afraid to say 'this stinks', but will be the first to tell me she loves it. A great friend is a treasure. Good luck with Nano.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have such a person in your wife. It makes all the difference.

      Delete
  15. Great post. I'm constantly inspired and encouraged by my CPs and beta readers who have also become great friends!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your writer therapy sounds great. A fun blog hop.
    Good luck to Laura Eno too for her book launch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Sara. I enjoy learning how others re-charge their creative batteries.

      Delete
  17. I don't really watch Star Trek reruns. I liked the series, but got my fill. My writer therapy is just watching new and interesting television shows as they air. Things like American Horror Story, The Walking Dead, Alphas, or Big Bang Theory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An awesome list of shows, Michael. Perception and Grimm are worth watching as well.

      Delete
  18. best wishes for nano!
    and star trek & chocolate are what you do to relax after a good writing session!
    writer therapy is what you use to ge through the tough parts...sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Star Trek. =] My creative writing students are prepping for NANOWRIMO; should be a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My writer therapy is a good night's sleep and some hot tea. I love getting up and getting to writing early on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleep is essential to creativity.

      The thought of having a whole weekend just to write is my idea of heaven.

      Delete
  21. Wishes as curses? Nice premise. I'm in. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do something artistic that isn't writing. Just does wonders to refill my creative tanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find watching creative programmes such as Project Runway also the same effect.

      Delete
  23. Seeing my critique group and getting their support and advice is therapeutic for me.

    It's been great seeing Laura and her book news everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I belonged to a writing group, Medeia. Unfortunately my local one meets when I work. I guess I need to find an online version.

      Delete
  24. Excellent question. I'm glad you have a friend that rejuvenate you. SO important. I like to read...or sleep, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. Reading is a definite therapy.

      Delete
  25. Excellent topic. It's so important to have something separate from writing in order to maintain creativity. I enjoy reading...or sleeping, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Taking a creative breaks helps us to return to our writing refreshed and rejuvenated.

      Delete
  26. Hi Ellie .. great thoughts for writer therapy - or just pure therapy having that space "to be" - to be who we are .. unencumbered by aspects of life .. Laura's book does look brilliant and I love her cover .. I might get into reading some sci-fi and fantasy ...

    Hope the break away is proving successful and see you back on 31 Oct - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats to Laura - I've seen her book everywhere lately! And oh, I'd love some writing therapy right about now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is never a quiet moment these days!

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!