Thursday, 11 October 2012

Look at that! A Writer's Challenge

 Copyright Ellie Garratt

Thanks to Summer Ross for tagging me in the "Look at that!" challenge. Here is what you have to do: Count up the 'LOOK's in your current WIP and choose your favourite three. Then post the paragraphs around the word. Then tag five writers and pass along the challenge.

I figured there would not be that many looks. I was wrong. I was shocked to find I had 95 looks (or variants of look) in the first 17,000 words of my work-in-progress, which equates to roughly 0.5% of my total word count. I feel some serious re-writing about to take place.

Choosing my three favourites was hard; I like them all. In the end I chose these:

#1

The portal is the only entrance and exit to Hometown, and no one may enter without the Warden present. We’ve all been to the entrance during learning time; we are taken there every year by our teacher and warned of the consequences of breaking the rules. They show us pictures of how Outside used to look, with its green meadows, clear rivers, and well-ordered towns. Then we look at Outside after The Disaster. The darkened skies, yellow seas, ruined buildings, and dead bodies. I always look away. My father showed them to me when I was young and I vowed to never look at them again. Yet in all those pictures I never saw a brilliant yellow ball in the sky that gives warmth. Was it there before The Disaster or is it something new the Guardians have given us? Something deep within me is compelling me to find the answers to these questions, though I have no idea why.

#2

I look at the floor and count how many paces from where I stand it would take me to get to the other side of the boundary; to go through the door separating one life from another. I guess twenty.

#3

I look at Preston and Jeremiah, both silent and expressionless, staring at the scene before them, and I ask myself whether either of them really care. Do they have the same thoughts and feelings as I? Do they have a suffocating ache deep within their bodies that never seems to go away? Can they even feel hurt and sorrow?

So, that was my three favourites. I'm tagging five writers for this challenge.

Emily R. King

Happy Writing!

32 comments:

  1. Hmmm def an interesting way to examine your overused actions, too. So will you keep those three and then rewrite the rest???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely be keeping the paragraphs, but as for the 'look' words, I shall be aiming to replace a considerable amount of them. I will be looking (I've done it again) at other words too.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you are really descriptive with your words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can not tell you how much your comment means. Description has always been my weakest skill as a writer, and I have been working hard to improve it. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. You had less then me so there's something! Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we both had too many. Can you feel a word cull coming on?

      Delete
  4. Intriguing paragraphs, Ellie. I just did a quick count in my completed WIP and nearly had a coronary, until I re-read your count more carefully and saw it was for 17k words. I feel much better now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Off to check for 'Looks' - dreading to think how many I might find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're slippery little suckers, getting into all the nooks and crannies of our writing.

      Delete
  6. I never thought to look for looks in my writing! I will now! I got a bit distracted looking for looks in your fab paras btw! LOL! take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess, wonder how many I've used! Great writing though, Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That first paragraph really got me interested!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds fun. I"ll have to remember to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look here, I looked at your three paragraphs and they all look fine to me, it looks like you are a good descriptive writer and it's looking good. Look out world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pieces.

    This tag makes me overly conscious of the word "look."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man, that first paragraph hooked me!

    Funny, "look" must be one of those things writers tend to overuse. Why else would there be a challenge around it, right?

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first paragraph really intrigued me. Not using crutch words can be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Imagine not knowing what the sun was--I love the setting you've presented in the first excerpt! The other two were also very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! The story has me intrigued from these little glimpses. Great people you've tagged, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice novel snidbits! Your writing is very eloquent, even in non-edited stage. I look forward to seeing (well, reading) the rest! :)

    Best wishes,

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!