I am formally declaring my intentions to take part in NaNoWriMo 2012, naked. Okay, maybe not naked. It would not be to pleasant a site. Certainly, there will be times when I spend all day in my pyjamas because getting dressed will stop me from achieving my 8000 word goal for that day - you know, the day three days before the November 30th deadline when you are still 12,000 words short of your 50,000 word goal. If you've ever done NaNo you will understand exactly what I mean.
I have the first two weeks of November as holiday. Some would argue this is not the way to do NaNo, as too much time off will lead to procrastination. But I intend to get the first draft of my young adult novel completed. No excuses.
For those of you taking part this year, here are my tips on how to survive the month:
- Write every day if you can but allow yourself time off for good behaviour.
- Do not expect to write the perfect first draft.
- Let all your friends and family know your writing schedule, and stress the only time they may contact you during your writing time is in an emergency.
- Unplug your phone and mobile.
- Turn off your Internet connection whilst you are writing.
- Have a selection of pre-cooked healthy meals and snacks available.
- Have a selection of 'I-can't-take-it-anymore' comfort foods on hand.
- Ask family members to take care of as many of your chores as possible. Blackmail may be necessary.
- Join your local NaNo group or an online version for support and advice.
- Plan a completion celebration or reward.
If you are on the NaNo forums any time from now until the end, you might see me lurking. My username is shatnerstupee (Update: I have changed my username to EllieMGarratt). Yes. It did dawn on me a year after I signed up that toupee is spelt with a u. I'm still blushing over that mistake.
So, are you doing NaNoWriMo this year? If so, is it your first time or are you a seasoned pro? What tips would you offer for achieving the 50,000 word target?