Wednesday, 7 November 2012

Barbara Ann Wright - Speculative Fiction Writer


Today I would like to give a warm welcome to my very first Speculative Fiction Writer guest, Barbara Ann Wright. Over to you, Barbara!






 A Big Ol' Fraud

Before I went to Women's Week at Provinctown to promote The Pyramid WaltzI had a nightmare. I was sitting in a bookstore, waiting for a signing, when I happened to open one of my books and found that it was blank. Seems I had somehow snowed Bold Strokes Books into publishing a book I'd never even written. I was a big ol' fraud, and now everyone was going to find out.

I know: impossible. But scumbag brains don't care about impossible. Years out of university, I still sometimes dream about impending physics exams for classes I've signed up for but have forgotten to attend all semester.

No need to worry. In reality, my books were filled with my words, and to my scumbag brain's surprise, people seemed to like them, at least to my face, a fact which pleased me beyond words, literally. When people told me they liked my work, I was able to croak out a thanks, and part of me still thought they were just being polite.

Normally, I'm pretty confident. When I write, I usually like what I'm writing, but something about other people liking it has always made me doubtful. Sort of a, "This is great! Everyone else will hate it!" Has anyone else ever felt this way? Confident in your own head, but self-doubting outside of it?

I hope I can get over it because I'm signing myself up for more public appearances, and hopefully people at some of them will like my work. I'm going to try to do some SF/F cons here in Texas, and some bigger events in other states and other countries to prove myself not a fraud again. Maybe someday, even my scumbag brain will believe it.

Just to prove my book isn't really blank, here's the synopsis: 

To most, Princess Katya Nar Umbriel is a rogue and a layabout; she parties, she hunts and she breaks women’s hearts. But when the festival lights go down and the palace slumbers, Katya chases traitors to the crown and protects the kingdom’s greatest secret: the royal Umbriels are part Fiend. When Katya thwarts an attempt to expose the king’s monstrous side, she uncovers a plot to let the Fiends out to play.

Starbride has no interest in being a courtier. Ignoring her mother’s order to snare an influential spouse, she comes to court only to study law. But a flirtatious rake of a princess proves hard to resist, and Starbride is pulled into a world of secrets that leaves little room for honesty or love, a world neither woman may survive.

I swear it has more than just those words. See for yourself at AmazonAmazon UK,  or on the Bold Strokes Books website.

Bio: Barbara Ann Wright writes fantasy and science fiction novels and short stories when not adding to her enormous book collection or ranting on her blog. Her short fiction has appeared twice in Crossed Genres Magazine and once made Tangent Online's recommended reading list. She is a member of Broad Universe and the Outer Alliance and helped create Writer's Ink in Houston. The Pyramid Waltz is her first novel. It's sequel, For Want of a Fiend, comes out May 13, 2013.


Thank you for making the first speculative fiction writer guest post such an enjoyable experience, Barbara. I have a feeling that scumbag brain already knows you're not a fraud.  

*

The first page of my YA dystopian novel has been critiqued by the teen spies over at YA Confidential! If you have time, please give it a read and let me know what you think.

15 comments:

  1. Don't you dare doubt yourself.

    I think in the beginning we all go through a phase of self-doubt once our book goes live. I know the first few times total strangers asked for my autograph or raved about my book, I probably gave them a squinty look, afraid I was imagining things. LOL.

    You get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A blank page - that sounds scary!
    Book sounds good, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every book starts with a blank page!

    The synopsis sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara's book sounds good. Speculative fiction is something I must read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria, I'm glad to hear that! I hope to get over it one day.

    Alex, thanks. I just need to breath.

    Jason, thank you. I'll remember that blank page quote.

    Rachna, thanks very much. I must read it too. ^_^

    Thanks for having me, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Ellie, for having Barbara here.

    Barabara, you were spectacular at the event I got to attend with you. Wonderful! Stupendous! And dashing with sparkling glitter everywhere. You're no fraud - though I have to admit to a certain massive weight of doubt that bothers me as well - and you've got chops. I can't wait to see what you've got coming out next. And you'll do well with your events, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh I do like Princess Katya breaking women's hearts! Don't see that everyday!! Yay!!! Good luck Barbara!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for hosting Barbara, Ellie! Your book sounds great, Barbara, I'm definitely going to check out your work. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angela, thanks so much for coming. I only do well because I have people like you thinking good thoughts for me. ^_^

    Old Kitty, thanks so much. I like calling her a skirt-chasing princess.

    Julie, thank you so much. Nice to meet you too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara, so nice to meet you! You aren't alone. I feel confident right up until someone reads my writing, then I expect them to hate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still have nightmares about college exams, too, Barbara -- often tests for classes I forgot about and never went to. Congrats on the book. Beautiful cover and fascinating plot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel ya, Emily. It's hard to slay those demons.

    Thanks, M Pax. I know I will never ever get away from the "phantom physics exam". ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can definitely relate: "This is great! Everyone else will hate it!" I tell myself that somewhere out there is an agent who will scan it, read it, and love it, and then readers will finally get a chance to enjoy it.

    Great feedback on your first page, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you, Milo. It only takes one yes.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!