Monday, 26 November 2012

Devon Floods, SpecFic Authors Collective, Writers4Writers, & Cavanaugh Blogfest

Today I'm highlighting some exciting events in the blogging world, but before that I have to tell you about my washed-out weekend. Southwest England was hit by major flooding last week. Saturday was the worst day. My home town was officially classed as cut-off by the Environment Agency by late evening. There was no way in or out, and several roads within the town were flooded.

I live a few minutes walk from the estuary and sea front, and the road I live in was one of those flooded. The video below taken by another town resident is my road. Thankfully the high tide in the early hours of Sunday morning was not a particularly high one, so water levels did not rise too a life-threatening level.

 
The flooding in most of Exmouth was gone by Sunday morning, but over 200 flood warnings remain in place for the Southwest. Some towns such as Sidmouth are still cut off. I'm praying the rain stops soon.

Now onto to the exciting events taking place:


On November 25th, Jeff Chapman, Simon Kewin, Lyndon Perry, and Milo James Fowler launched the SpecFic Authors Collective. Visit their blog to learn more about what the SpecFic Author Collective and to enter their competition to win four eBooks.





Writers4Writers (W4WS) is a new initiative hosted by Stephen Tremp, Mary Pax, Christine Rains, and CM Brown with the following mission:





· Help writers bring awareness of their book(s) to tens of thousands of new people
· Help writers reach Amazon Top 100 in at least one category (i.e., suspense, free, whatever)
· Increase sales of their book(s) after the promo is over
· Drive new traffic to their blog and increase following
· Create verbal and viral buss.

The spotlighted author (December 6th will be Nancy Thompson and her book The Mistaken) will choose a social media avenue such as Twitter or Facebook (or both). The good people of Bloggerland will then promote the author’s book to their Twitter followers or Facebook friends - an incredibly large new audience the author could not reach on their own. To find out more visit the W4WS Facebook page HERE.

 
Finally, in December we have the Cheers, Cavanaugh Blogfest in honour of the mighty Ninja himself, Alex J. Cavanaugh, and it's going to be huge. You can read all about it and sign up over at David Powers King's blog.


Talking of Christmas, if you watched the video above there is a link afterwards on the bottom RIGHT for the Exmouth Christmas Day Swim 2011. Click on it to see how the mad people of Exmouth celebrate Christmas Day. It starts and ends with a series of photographs, and a video of the swim in between.

Have a happy and safe week.

20 comments:

  1. Yikes on the flooding! Ironically, we need moisture so badly.

    Great highlights-- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did earlier in the year. Hope you get some rain soon, Julie.

      Delete
  2. So sorry about the flooding! As long as it's not in your house. Trapped you can live with.
    Excited for Nancy!
    And December 10 scares me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellie - just glad it didn't reach up the street as far as your house ... but the floods are and have been just terrible - I suspect a few of my friends/relatives might be struggling somewhat ... but I'm way too far away to help. Elsewhere in the UK - I hope friends and relatives will be ok - but I feel for everyone flooded - especially people who've been flooded three times in three weeks = dreadful.

    Back to blogging - lots going on in the run up to Christmas .. cheers for now - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for them as well. At least my house wasn't flooded, unlike thousands of others. Lets just hope the rain isn't replaced by snow.

      Delete
  4. My goodness the weather!! :-(

    Please take care!

    Lots of things going on in blogland - am totally overwhelmed at the moment but hope y'all have a great blogparty time! Yay! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Old Kitty. It seems the rain is now affecting other parts of the country now. The flooding is horrendous. I can't imagine what it must be like for those having to evacuate their homes.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear the flooding has gone down. Take care and be careful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. I've decided I will make myself a bug-out bag for essentials should I have to evacuate at some point. Laptop, novel folder etc. I don't think there is any danger of my flat being flooded, as it's on the second floor. However, I might not be able to go home for a few days if the flooding gets worse.

      Delete
  6. Ugh, I hate flooding. Living in Florida, I've experienced plenty of it, and it is never fun. Glad that it's gone down, though. I will definitely be praying that it vanishes, as well!

    Thanks for posting about the blog greatness coming up!

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that, Alexandra. There are people far worse of than those in my home town. Worst time of year for it to happen as well.

      Delete
  7. Wow! So glad your road cleared up a bit, hope it doesn't get worse for you.

    Lots of fun things coming up, thanks for the notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charity. The road certainly looks clean!

      Delete
  8. Lots going on in the blogosphere for sure!

    Glad the flooding has eased. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is usually so much going on in December, I can't keep up.

      Delete
  9. a giving month for sure!

    so sorry about the flooding! keep your chin up! it cant rain forever (unless its sci fi!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't stopped yet, though snow is forecast for the end of the week. The fun never ends!

      Delete
  10. Hope the water is subsiding now, Ellie! I'm a little way north of you but it's pretty bad round here, too.

    Thanks for the publicity on the SpecFic Writers Collective, too. Hopefully it will grow into something big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching the news this morning - so many people having to evacuate their properties. It's especially hardest on the elderly.

      Congratulations on SpecFic again!

      Delete

I love comments. They make my day!