Wednesday, 19 December 2012

Mary Pax - Speculative Fiction Writer



Today I am honoured to host indie science fiction and fantasy author, Mary Pax. Over to you, Mary.






What A Writer Wants...

Thanks to Ellie Garratt for letting me borrow her blog today. A happy holiday season to her and to you.

As you’ve walked deeper into Writerdom, has what you’d like as a gift changed? I noticed what I consider a great and thoughtful gift has changed a lot. For instance, I asked for and received the money to hire an artist to redo my Hetty Locklear cover. I can’t wait to see it. It’ll be better than Christmas.

Fan letters are the most delightful gifts. One recently said I’d become immortal. Now, that was flattery enough to bring a tear to my eye. What would be even more fantastic is to hear that at least once a week. I’m sure we could all use a regular dose of that ego stroking. No worries about me getting a swelled head, someone soon came along and spoiled the joy two days later.

I’ve heard and read other authors wishing for and receiving: writer association memberships, conferences, business cards, posters, postcards, professional book tours, Srivener, credits to their favorite stockart site, ditto for stock music, editing fees, the investment to turn their words into an audiobook, etc... And I bet I’m not the only one hoping to find the magic in my stocking this season that will boost my sales.

What’s on your list that you’d never have wanted before you entered Writerdom?


M. Pax is author of the sci-fi series, The Backworlds, and the new adult urban fantasy Hetty Locklear series. A Browncoat and SG fan, she’s also slightly obsessed with Jane Austen. In the summers she docents as a star guide at Pine Mountain Observatory where the other astronomers now believe she has the most extensive collection of moon photos in existence. No fear, there will be more next summer. She lives in stunning Central Oregon with the Husband Unit and two lovely, spoiled cats. 


Try The Backworlds for FREE! Available in all formats for all ereaders. 

Newly Released: 

The Renaissance of Hetty Locklear, A New Adult Urban Fantasy with a Contemporary Sci-Fi twist. 

Graduation from community college isn’t the magic elixir Hetty Locklear counts on for becoming an adult. Her parents, who work the Renaissance fair circuit, insist she spend part of the summer with them. Hetty doubts pretending to live in the Middle Ages will help her find her way. 

To make it worse, an entity haunts her at her dead-end job, warning her of a dangerous man she doesn’t know. The ghost leads her to a lover who has a lot of secrets. He pulls her farther into peril and into a strange, hidden world of genetic experimentation.

  
Also newly released: Wandering Weeds: Tales of Rabid Vegetation. 


 Available at Amazon:



Thank you, Mary. A happy holiday season to you as well. You've certainly got me thinking about my Christmas wishlists post-writing. In some ways they haven't changed - I have always requested books, book vouchers, stationery, and anything related to those items. What has changed for me is requesting money for the added extras - such as a Kindle or art work. I'm fascinated to learn what other writers have requested this year or in the past.

23 comments:

  1. Mary, you are already immortal.
    Best Seller. Never thought of that when I began writing. Now I hope for it with my third book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me borrow your blog, Ellie. :) It's still Tuesday here.

    That's a great gift, Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wishlist indeed changes. ;) (And of course Alex is here first to comment!)
    I want more writing time in my Christmas stocking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice thing to say to a scifi writer. (Does that come with lifetime medical?)

    Happy Holidays to you both, Ellie and Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It definitely does, Laura. I'd like that, too.

    Wasn't it? I could stand to hear it again, DG. Happy Holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Hetty Locklear novel is one I've had my eye on for a while. The premise sounds fab.

    Happy Xmas to all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep reading Hetty Locklear as Heather Locklear! But then I'm old and need new glasses! Hey! I got my wish list item! LOL!

    All the best amazingly named M Pax!!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. you must be in writer heaven with feedback like that. never crossed my mind that i might get fan mail some day...thats fantastic for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful that you've received such amazing feedback. You definitely deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, I'd have to agree that my wants have changed now that I've plunged into writing and self-pubbing. Gifting cover art, a crit IOU, things like that are great writing gifts along with what you listed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see Mary here. Her new book sounds super.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love getting fan mail. It really makes me think I'm appreciated. I salute this post by Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fan mail are an amazing gift. Thanks for the insight into the simple joys of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Donna. People have sent me compliments on Hetty who've read it.

    Thank you Kitty. And that's a great item. Hope you have a magical holiday and spectacular 2013.

    It was the best one so far, Tara, but they're all wonderful.

    I could stand to see it more often, Julie.

    A crit IOU would be a great item, Angela.

    Thanks Rachna.

    I love it, too, Michael. It makes all the effort worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are the best gifts, Maurice. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't received fan mail yet, but I hope to some day. That's so awesome that you're getting a cover for Christmas. I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great wish list! I think I want one of each. That would probably make Santa have a heart attack, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome gifts! Another good one is book covers. Those can get a little pricey for Santa, especially if you really want Michael Whelan to do one for you. Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You will, Gwen. I can't wait either.

    Me, too, Carol.

    Yes, they can get pricey, Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm going around to all of the wonderful blogs I follow to wish you a Merry Christmas. Have a safe and happy holiday, Ellie!

    (Mary, I'll be heading to your blog, soon!)

    Peace,
    ML

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL! Great post, Mary! *waves* to Ellie! You're so right that fan mail is the most awesomest gift a writer can give. Followed closely by a big boost in sales.

    I hope you get all your holiday wishes! Both of you~ :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this post!
    I can see how fans would be pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy holidays, ML!

    Those are both great gifts, Leigh. Hope you get oodles :)

    They are. You'll have a posse of them yourself soon, Lynda.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!