Wednesday, 23 January 2013

L Blankenship - Speculative Fiction Writer


Today I'm especially happy to be introducing L. Blankenship as this week's Speculative Fiction Writer. She's treating us to a character interview today.





Interview with Disciple's narrator, Kate


So how is it you're so immune to Anders' charms? (his interview here)

(she spreads her hands) Immune? He says foolish things and I answer. How does that make me immune to him? So many seem to think I dislike him -- I don't. He's witty, and kind, and he's been honorable.

But you haven't kissed him.

And why would I? Must I kiss every knight I meet? My saint means for me to  be a physician of --

You kissed the prince.

(she blushes bright red)

Well, he did it first. But you kissed him back.

(still red) Yes. I know it's foolish.

He's cute and smart.

(fading to pink) And he reads. And he's been so kind...

Maybe not so foolish?

(she looks at her folded hands) Prince Kiefan is promised to marry, to seal our alliance. We need our allies' aid, when the war comes.

So perhaps it's better to focus on your studies. You were graduated to full physician for this mission; I know you were very anxious about that.

True, I was. And my master was right, I did learn a great deal more on the mission than in the two years before. Perhaps it was foolish to think that would earn me any esteem from the other physicians -- I am still a peasant girl, in their eyes.

Are you still a peasant girl?

(she thinks about that) I will always be myself, won't I? Always be a peasant girl, at heart?

One who loves a prince? (That makes her blush again, but she smiles.)


Back cover blurb for Disciple, Part I

The saints favor her, else-wise a peasant girl like Kate Carpenter would never be apprenticed to the kingdom’s master healer. But her patron saint also marks her ready for the duty of tending to a mission that must cross the ice-bound mountains. Their little kingdom faces invasion by a vast empire and desperately needs allies; across the snow-filled pass, through the deathly thin air, is a country that’s held off the empire and may be willing to lend an army.

Kate knows about frostbite and the everyday injuries of wilderness travel. She can heal those.


She’s not ready for the attentions of a ne’er-do-well knight and the kingdom’s only prince, though. 

And she isn’t ready for the monsters that harry them night and day, picking off their archers first, wearing the party to exhaustion, pushing Kate beyond the limits her healing abilities. 

She must keep them alive, or her blood will be on the snow too.
 
Read a sample of Part I, Chapter 1 • Read a sample of Part II
Cover and blurb for Part I or Part II

Disciple, Part I is available at all major online retailers Disciple, Part II on sale April 1st!
Pre-order Part II, or pick up a bundle of both parts, NOW at Kickstarter! Click on the widget to see the book trailer and the pledging options.

Disciple, Part I on GoodreadsPart II on Goodreads



Thank you, L. Character interviews are a particular favourite of mine, and Kate's interview certainly has me intrigued. I'm looking forward to reading her story. Good luck with your Kickstarter appeal.

6 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing, an enjoyable reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck. It sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great. Hope it all goes well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to L! I like that illustration a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much to read and so little time.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!