Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Tea With Mistress Snark & Guest Post Guidelines


I'm having tea with the incorrigible Mistress Snark today. Please pop over and share a brew with us; I'm sure it will be quite an experience. There may even be cake on offer.

Changing the subject, I've decided to introduce a word-length guideline for the weekly Speculative Fiction Writer guest posts. I don't normally have any specific guidelines for guest posts but, given how short of time most blog readers are, I'm introducing a 750 word maximum. Five hundred words or less is ideal, but 750 is acceptable at a push. If you've already written and sent your post to me, and it's over 750 words, don't worry - I will still use it.

Do you set word limits for guest posts? Do you apply them to your own posts as well?

Don't forget to call back Wednesday, when this week's Speculative Fiction Writer will be Michael Offutt.

18 comments:

  1. Hope you survive Mistress Snark!
    A word limit is fair. I set mine at 300-400.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. Barely. I have a new appreciation for bone china, though.

      Delete
  2. A word limit seems very sensible. I try to make all my posts as short as possible I must admit - like you say, most blog readers are going to be in a rush. Gosh, is that the time? I must fly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that I will often skip overly long posts, which is a shame. I just don't have the time.

      Delete
  3. 500 words is ideal. I find unless someone is incredibly interesting, less is more.

    I have the same requirements for the SFF newsletter I edit for OWW (Online Writers Workshop for SF, Fantasy and Horror)

    (Had to correct a typo. :o) I smashed my finger and I can't do a thing with it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch. That sounds painful, Maria. I hope it improves soon.

      Delete
  4. That's a great idea. Never thought of that.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. You should so do tea with Mistress Snark!

      Delete
  6. I love dishing the trek on sneaky denibian slime devils and believe me theres plenty in Hollywood. Why is it the long and dirty is fun to write! hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a wicked way of putting things, Spacerguy. Don't ever stop!

      Delete
  7. Hi Ellie - you survived I see and I commented earlier - I'll be visiting Mistress Snark sometime soon -ish I think!

    I won't discuss post length!! But I don't post often ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, I think you are what is known as an exception to the full. Readers of your blog always know they will be settling in for a long read but boy is it worth it!

      Delete
  8. Tea was lovely Ellie!! Strange but lovely!!! And what's all this about bone china cups?!?! A proper mug is what's needed!! Yay! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incorrigible?! Me? ;) It was so lovely having tea with you and the pandas, grapes, bananas, zombies, and bone china!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!