Friday, 1 March 2013

Back From the Future Blogfest

Today I'm taking part in the Back From the Future Blogfest, hosted by the awesome Mary Pax, Suze, and Nicki Elson. I don't often take part in blogfests but this one I could not turn down. Here's how to take part:


You’re up before dawn on a Saturday when the doorbell rings. You haven’t brewed your coffee so you wonder if you imagined the sound. Plonking the half-filled carafe in the sink, you go to the front door and cautiously swing it open. No one there. As you cast your eyes to the ground, you see a parcel addressed to you … from you.

You scoop it up and haul it inside, sensing something legitimate despite the extreme oddness of the situation. Carefully, you pry it open. Inside is a shoebox — sent from ten years in the future – and it’s filled with items you have sent yourself. 

What’s in it?

My shoebox would contain the following:
  1. A copy of the winning numbers for a lottery being drawn today. This is probably one of the most predictable answers someone can give when asked what they'd send back from the future. I only want one set of winning numbers. I'm not greedy. I just want to be comfortable enough to give up work and write full time. Isn't that what most of us wish for?
  2. The first drafts of my next five novels. While I love to write, my favourite stage of writing is turning the first draft from an idea into a true story turning that spew of words into a beginning, middle, and satisfying ending. If I could skip the whole getting 100,000 words onto paper stage, I would be happy.
  3. A flexiscreen computer. These are only at the early development stage at the moment, and likely to be very expensive when they go on sale. I'm a geek, and a Trekkie. Who remembers the tablet computers we first saw on Star Trek: The Next Generation? We thought they were impossible, and yet now they are reality. I want a flexiscreen computer before they go into mass production. 


What items from the future would you send back? 

31 comments:

  1. I like your shoebox contents, especially the flexscreen computers. Dropping by early as I'm on the west coast of Canada, and your post popped up on the Google reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With you on the flexiscreen - but not on the first draft - for me that is the most exciting bit where I never quite know where my characters are going to take me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the second one! Hate writing the first draft.
    Yes I remember Trek tablets. That's why the characters in my books have them - I got the idea from Trek, not the iPad. (Which wasn't even out when I wrote the first book.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A flexscreen e-reader would be neat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have my next five novel's drafts in hand. That would be so helpful! Also, having the flexscreen computer would be cool; I would take that.

    Best,

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh, flexiscreen computers would be awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can a flexiscreen be rolled up and put in a bottle if on a deserted island?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Odd that you're the first to mention a lottery ticket so far. :) Ooo! I want a flexi computer. Have a wonderful weekend, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes! future techno gadgets!
    no lotto for me, i think having too much money would give me a headache of troubles!
    but the flexi computer sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A list of stocks and shares for the next ten years would suit me, it is a bit more low profile than a lottery win, which can often lead to unwanted attention.
    Not sure I am ready for flexi computers, I still need a tactile keyboard to write. I tried out one of the Windows touch keypads yesterday ugh! I love my touch screen notebook, but only for surfing or games, not for serious work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think everyone does want a lottery ticket! Ooh. I'd like a flexi screen too :)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the lotto angle. It shows how truly wise you are.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The lottery ticket seems so obvious, but I didn't think of it before I read your entry! That's what I should have sent to myself LOL.
    Love the flexi computer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Flexiscreen computer, that sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, with that winning lottery ticket, you could purchase the flexiscreen when it first comes out...but having it in your time capsule is the better idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great list. I love the flexiscreen computer. How awesome would that be?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, that flexi-screen is amazing! You know, I'm kind of with you on preferring the stages of writing that occur after the first spew is out.

    Thanks for hopping with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aren't you clever? Great choices for your box, especially that flex-screen. It'd be fun to have the latest greatest hi-tech gadget before the rest of geekdom has it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhhhhh...a Flexiscreen computer! How sexy!! Nice choice!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. A lottery win is obvious because it's the truly sensible thing to send- and what you want to do with it is entirely sensible. Please invest in flexiscreen development!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want that handwriting pad from DS9 because I like to longhand write but not type it in a second time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I second the flexiscreen computer! Having one of those would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Getting a flexiscreen 1.0 would be mind-blowing Ellie. Of course the 2.0 would have a bigger screen and longer battery life, but it would be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your shoe-box contents. I too would not mind receiving the first drafts of five books of mine. What a huge relief that would be.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I remember watching Deep Space 9 when - can't remember his name - the Captain's kid came in and handed over his homework on what we now call a tablet. I thought, yeah, that's how we should be reading books and sending letters/messages and stuff. Totally paperless. An Awesome concept.

    A funny thing - off on a sidetrack, sorry. Reading the later Pern novels (Anne McCaffrey) where they discover the super computer, and are loading stacks of paper in the bin for printouts of knowledge. Her futuristic society and ours are so vastly different, yet at the time, that AI computer was the height of technology.

    Really really, I want to travel to the future not to see what I can bring back today and make a profit from; but just to see how far technology has progressed. I think I'd have to go more than 100 years to see any significant changes - unless the apocalypse has happened. Then of course, technology may not matter.

    Unless we're invaded by aliens.

    Stop making me think Ellie; I'm getting a headache :)

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would want the computer JARVIS from the Iron Man movie!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those first two are quite similar to what I would want in my shoebox. Neat. I think the only other thing I'd want is conlanging software, assuming such a thing will be invented some time in the future. A program that I can enter all my created languages' information into, and even use it to create translations and sound change. I'm such a nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Loved your list, Ellie. I'm always playing catch-up with this computer stuff. *sighs* But I'm going to Google flexiscreen so I'm not totally blindsided, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes to the flexiscreen! Awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Darn! Why didn't I THINK of the lottery ticket! And a flexiscreen .... WHOA, now that would e awesome.

    Great box of goodiese, Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Darn! Why didn't I THINK of the lottery ticket! And a flexiscreen .... WHOA, now that would e awesome.

    Great box of goodiese, Ellie.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make my day!